The Martin(i) Bar

If it's a 50% off judging deal ( only 5 judges ), maybe DCI should have a 50% off ticket price deal too.

'Sounds fair to me. Make it a " money saving thing " all around. DCI and families who attend.

Not sure the number of judges impacts the quality of the show.

Unfortunately, when you fill up the corps buses and trucks with diesel fuel, the truck stop isn't going to sell you the fuel for 50% off, so it costs the corps the same amount of money to travel to these early season shows. And since they need their appearance fees to help pay those travel costs, the show sponsors would likely end up in the red if they dropped ticket prices 50%. Then folks would wonder why there's not a show in that town the following year.

Edited by oldsoprano

Not sure the number of judges impacts the quality of the show.

True. It doesn't affect the quality of the show, but it makes a mockery out of the scores and placements, imo.

Maybe the Color Guards should just sit it out until DCI is ready to have a Guard judge present.

Most of these Visual GE judges in these 5 judge panels, know bumpkus about Guard. Its not their training, nor experience, and they never marched, not taught Guard. Thats a kabooki deal all around, imo

If it's a " money saving deal", why not just make the judging costs a REAL money saver. Just have a blindfolded guy at minimum wage throw darts on the stadium booth backwall dartboard listing the Corps. Or just have a guy pull the names for the placements out of a hat. It's no worse than these Visual GE judges pulling together the Color Guard for their scores from out of their arse.

Edited by BRASSO

True. It doesn't affect the quality of the show, but it makes a mockery out of the scores and placements, imo.

Maybe the Color Guards should just sit it out until DCI is ready to have a Guard judge present.

Most of these Visual GE judges in these 5 judge panels, know bumpkus about Guard. Its not their training, nor experience, and they never marched, not taught Guard. Thats a kabooki deal all around, imo

If it's a " money saving deal", why not just make the judging costs a REAL money saver. Just have a blindfolded guy at minimum wage throw darts on the stadium booth backwall dartboard listing the Corps. Or just have a guy pull the names for the placements out of a hat. It's no worse than these Visual GE judges pulling together the Color Guard for their scores from out of their arse.

Exactly. The music ensemble guy can judge brass Mus and Tech while he's at it too. If you're going to have a show, then have a show with a full panel.

Re: Highlighted quote above. Just an FYI that Debbie Torchia, who judged GE Visual last night in Martin, judged CG in Saginaw on Saturday, has been a CG judge for many years, and was also a CG instructor for years prior to starting judging.

Re: Highlighted quote above. Just an FYI that Debbie Torchia, who judged GE Visual last night in Martin, judged CG in Saginaw on Saturday, has been a CG judge for many years, and was also a CG instructor for years prior to starting judging.

Maybe I should have highlighted in bold print " MOST " of the judges... my guess, you simply missed the " most of the judges" part. Kyle Miller and MOST of the GE Visual and GE Ensemble judges that are typically on these 5 judge panels did not come up from the Guard ranks.

Even worse, these 5 judge panels don't even have a Brass judge that judges pitch, intonation, attacks, releases, etc and all the Brass performance execution qualities in the show performance. It basically becomes a dog and pony show in which how you " LOOK, is more important than performance execution in Brass and Guard. How ridiculous is that ? I mean, seriously.

If DCI can't see fit to put a friggin BRASS judge out there, then just have these Corps do exhibitions only. Without a Brass Judge and a Guard Judge, we enter the realm of " Constantly Risking Absurdity ", ya know ?

Edited by BRASSO

agree-- I was impressed... you'd think there was always a show in Martin, TN...

It reminded me of a mini-Murfreesboro. I think the crowd response stems from our Southern charm and hospitality.

Btw, if you were sitting near the top by staff members, then we were very close to one another.

Tennessee loves drum corps!

Maybe I should have highlighted in bold print " MOST " of the judges... my guess, you simply missed the " most of the judges" part. Kyle Miller and MOST of the GE Visual and GE Ensemble judges that are typically on these 5 judge panels did not come up from the Guard ranks.

Even worse, these 5 judge panels don't even have a Brass judge. How ridiculous is that ?

While I'm not disagreeing with your main point (full panels all the time), many/most of the GEV judges are also judging GE in WGI. So I think they *are* familiar with colorguard and how it contributes to effect. Mind you that's no replacement for having the actual caption judged . I just think your suggestion that the GEV judges don't know a thing about guard is not well taken.

Many of the Ensemble Visual judges spend a lot of time with the colorguard as well...

In the Albuquerque thread you wrote:

Scores are meaningless right now. Spreads can give us an ever so slight insight into relative strengths.

So, what are they? meaningless or important? Your inconsistency is confusing me.

• Like 1