Early Scores

Ok, so it's inevitable to look into the first days of scoring and start making conclusions of where corps will end up, but how much stock should really be put into them. In a normal season I'd say not a lot, but I'd say double that this year because of the touring models in the early season!

For instance a normal west coast tour has BD, SCV as the headliners and BK, Pac Crest, Mandarins, Academy and Troop competing at the shows as well! With the early season Texas shows now you got Phantom and Cadets in that mix, which is going to cap scores for the middle of the pack and top 12 contenders. Meanwhile the Scouts came out roaring and the Troopers had nice numbers, how close are those numbers in the scope of things? I think if Crown, Bluecoats and Bstars are with Madtown, troop and Xmen, the scores are gonna be shifted quite a bit. Add to that 5 person panels, which sucks, and bingo 1 bad score kills your night. This is going to be a bit of an odd scoring season until corps really start meeting up. That's not to discount. Madison or anyone, but logic says let's wait til we get to see a lot of levels of corps together before we take a lot from the scoring!!

Wes P

BK 97 98

I believe Madison meets up with bluecoats tonight so that will tie in the mad/troop/crossmen group with B stars/spirit/Teal from last night. the spreads should give a good indication of where all those corps stand in relation to the others.

I think the importance of early scores is how they trend relative to that corps during the first week, if they stall or backslideā€¦.usually means it going to be a long season

This makes me concerned about Phantom. I really enjoyed their show in Austin, but their score has not changed in 3 performances... I know about contest dynamics and things like that, but it still concerns me.

There are a lot of reasons a corps could score at a particular level. It comes down to how the sub- captions come out relative to another. High numbers in things like GE Mus Perf or Vis Perf Excl without the corresponding rep and vocab scores in june would tell me the show's in danger of peaking early for example.

Ok, so it's inevitable to look into the first days of scoring and start making conclusions of where corps will end up, but how much stock should really be put into them. In a normal season I'd say not a lot, but I'd say double that this year because of the touring models in the early season!

For instance a normal west coast tour has BD, SCV as the headliners and BK, Pac Crest, Mandarins, Academy and Troop competing at the shows as well! With the early season Texas shows now you got Phantom and Cadets in that mix, which is going to cap scores for the middle of the pack and top 12 contenders. Meanwhile the Scouts came out roaring and the Troopers had nice numbers, how close are those numbers in the scope of things? I think if Crown, Bluecoats and Bstars are with Madtown, troop and Xmen, the scores are gonna be shifted quite a bit. Add to that 5 person panels, which sucks, and bingo 1 bad score kills your night. This is going to be a bit of an odd scoring season until corps really start meeting up. That's not to discount. Madison or anyone, but logic says let's wait til we get to see a lot of levels of corps together before we take a lot from the scoring!

I think you have a point, Wes. The scores this year have been a bit scattered and have flip-flopped because the judges seem to be out there having to make an actual decision early, without input of scores from previous shows with a limited amount of corps to compare, like in the recent past. This is really different because all the top dogs (with the exception of Madison, Boston and BK) are thrown together early, forcing judges to make a call early on the programs. It also forced corps to come out with less "frills" in their shows to have a more complete program....which in many ways is good even though the judges didn't seem to adjust scores down for corps that weren't finished. This put the mid pack corps at sot of a disadvantage because they DID put out complete shows, albeit with less frills and content, with the exclusion of Cadets who came out roaring.

In short, it's going to wreck havoc on the scores early, which is why we really shouldn't take these scores too seriously. Things are going to shift when the corps start adding all the extras to their shows, at least if the judges don't slot them first.

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"></div>

Edited by Hypemeister

I wouldn't be concerned about phantom because it goes back to the same thing, if phantom was at a show with one or two other corps by themselves, their scores would jump. But with 4 of the top 8 from a year ago, these scores are gonna cap for all the corps under the Cadets. It's why we can't be too shocked or concerned with scores that seem lower to us. Last year scores got out of control and thus the lull was inevitable in the middle of July. Seems like judges are more conservative score wise this summer so far!

Wes P

• Like 1

Madison sees Blue Stars tonight, not sure about Bluecoats.

Scouts see both Stars and Coats tonight in Fairfield (surprised there isn't a show thread up already).