Pittsburgh Pub

Line-up:

Bluecoats - Canton, OH

Boston Crusaders - Boston, MA

Glassmen - Toledo, OH

Spirit of Atlanta - Atlanta, GA

Crossmen - San Antonio, TX

Weather: High 78, Low 66; Rain Chance 50% for the afternoon and evening

Boston and Glassmen are introduced to the 2011 tour. Some very interesting match-ups for sure!

* Will Boston score closer to Bluecoats or Glassmen?

* Will Spirit of Atlanta score close to or even beat the Glassmen?

* Will Crossmen score close to or beat Spirit of Atlanta?

Glassmen

Won't be close

Beat spirit

Already a thread open on this http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/146304-eat-at-pimanti-brothers-its-not-the-pitts/

Glassmen

Won't be close

Beat spirit

I guess it could play out like you're predicting, but I don't know that I would be so quick to sell Spirit of Atlanta short. While I haven't yet seen the Glass or Cross men, I have seen Spirit, and all I can say is, Wow.

• Like 1

Crusaders will score closer to Bluecoats

Spirit will be close and possibly beat the Glassmen

Crossmen won't be close

I guess it could play out like you're predicting, but I don't know that I would be so quick to sell Spirit of Atlanta short. While I haven't yet seen the Glass or Cross men, I have seen Spirit, and all I can say is, Wow.

That's what I heard about forging an icon and boy was I led wrong. I know someone on glassmen spirit and crossmen so I've heard some about each.

That's what I heard about forging an icon and boy was I led wrong. I know someone on glassmen spirit and crossmen so I've heard some about each.

Spirit of Atlanta is for real this year. They are back and they are the Spirit of Atlanta we all came to love in the late 70's and early 80's. It is the best production they have done in a decade, and I am dead serious.

Don't take my word for it; here's what all of the reviewers from the Martin, Tenn., show had to say:

NashvillePat, on 22 June 2011 - 01:35 AM, said:

Spirit of Atlanta - The Shocker of the evening and I am talking shocked everybody with any drum corps knowledge... This show oozes Spirit of Atlanta from the early 80's... The book is great, the guard uniform is fabulous... dirty feet, a lot of bouncing while marching backwards.... but I was truly impressed with SOA! I could seriously see this show competing for 10th - 12th place.

nero14, on 22 June 2011 - 02:54 AM, said:

Spirit-- WOW WOW WOW! seemed to me to be the best Spirit we've seen in, ehhh.. the past decade? Just super solid-- guard needs some work. This is just a big step up for them- members are performing well with a great product- lots of impact and good story development-- this was a big hit with the crowd tonight-- very loud, good brass sound. First show of the night to get a standing ovation-- totally agree with previous reviewer that this could be a finals-caliber show. I'd place it over glassmen products and/or Troopers the past few years- just a well done show-- smart even... my expectations were exceeded.

DrinkinOuttaCups, on 22 June 2011 - 09:02 AM, said:

Spirit of Atlanta - It was really nice to hear that name over the loudspeakers. Crowd seemed to agree - a lot. The intro was on fire. Crowd ate it up. The hornline is really strong - they're already playing VERY well for this early in the season. There were some moments that lacked confidence though, and there was almost a tempo tear in the closer - but they recovered perfectly. Sounded like some of their electronics weren't working for most of the show. One of my friends in the pit said it had something to do with the event staff not setting them up properly, but I don't know all the details, so I'd rather not try to fuel any speculation. Regardless - they had a great performance. I dig the guard unis. It's nice to see people finally paying attention to this corps again.

BoyWonder1911, on 22 June 2011 - 09:38 AM, said:

I thought Spirit was very strong last night. I did not expect the intensity of sound! I think they may have a shot at making Finals this year, and if they don't, it is going to be close.

derbydawg, on 22 June 2011 - 10:21 AM, said:

Spirit of Atlanta. I wish I had my own words, but will totally agree with an earlier poster and state that this corps was the shocker of the night by far! I loved it and so did the crowd. BRAVO for figuring out how to be competitive for a finalist spot but how to also how to be new and improved Spirit of Atlanta. The theme is soooo easy to get and the impacts and coordination with flag designs and characters is spot on. Brass sound great and huge. Percussion writing is much improved and they have some great percussion GE moments. There was only one moment of ensemble tear that I noticed. Got three standing Os, as much as Cavies. They need to keep up the energy and clean the drill, clean the drill, clean the drill. Like with Cavies, this is mass appeal with creativity and already some great execution. If the members keep selling the Spirit attitude and they clean up, no doubt a solid shot at a Saturday night performance. A show I want to see again asap.

recketscience, on 22 June 2011 - 11:03 AM, said:

Spirit of Atlanta:

Caught us all off guard, WOW! preferred over Bluecoats by far

Great show concept with good coordination

Loud Brass, great solos

Guard carries theme extremely well

Love Love the perc writing (some electronic issues tonight I am guessing)

Cool drill, end needs umph

Easily Finalist potential

Clean the drill