Shows You Love That Have Been Overlooked

Agree with many of these here...I'll add a few not mentioned yet:

1991 Bluecoats -- The LOUDEST Corps that year. Just watch their opener, if you are into screaming sopranos you will LOVE this show. Some of the best soloist work that year (or any year). Favorite Moment: sopranos screaming in Nutville and hearing the crowd go "what the f***?" Watch 1991 Bluecoats practice from my high school (I was a freshman). I'm in the stands about to be indoctrinated into Drum Corps for the first time. Can you imagine this being your first time ever seeing a drum corps?

1991 Phantom -- This show would have won in almost any other year. This was the first live show I ever saw, and let me tell you -- when Phantom backed up into that double triangle and blew us away -- I was sold (I became a Bluecoat less than 2 years later). Favorite Moment: Closer of Nessun Dorma, where the drums drop off to screaming brass.

1993 Phantom -- I didn't get to see them much live since I was on tour that year, but I remember how much they improved throughout the year. Favorite Moment: The "Wedge"!

LOVED those Bluecoats uniforms from 1991.

• Like 1

LOVED those Bluecoats uniforms from 1991.

You want to know what's worse? Our high school got the entire guard (including the pinwheel) hand-me-downs the next year. Hey, when you are scraping by (and that is what those corps were doing), you do what you can when you can. Not everyone had Bill Cook. :)

You want to know what's worse? Our high school got the entire guard (including the pinwheel) hand-me-downs the next year. Hey, when you are scraping by (and that is what those corps were doing), you do what you can when you can. Not everyone had Bill Cook. :)

I heard about your high school getting those. I think I saw the show too, but it's been like forever.... tongue.gif

'97 Colts "Blood, Sweat, and Tears" show. God Bless the Child and Spinning Wheel? Ummmm, yes please!

Hey, my wife was in that colorguard! We just watched it a few weeks ago, too! HA! It was a great show. Funny, I was on tour with BK that summer and always remember starring at those guard gals in yellow leather tops!!!! Who would've known that one day..... :)

Edited by Madrid

True, but the thread asks us about " overlooked " shows. These 2 shows are "overlooked" about as often as beer at a Bavarian Octoberfest.

I only bring those up because a lot of students who are new to the activity aren't always aware of pre-2005 drum corps. I just miss the days when Drum Corps was Drum Corps lol!!!

And I'm only 26!

Blue Devils 2000 doesn't seem to get much love, but that show was simply amazing. I could have seen a 3 way tie at the top that year.

SCV Not the Nutcracker. I know alot of people didn't care for this show, but I really loved that show.

1997 Cavaliers Great show, didn't seem to catch on for most people.

2006 Cadets. I remember people trashing this show the whole season long, but this was really a great show. This should have definitely beaten Bluecoats and Phantom Regiment that year. I think Cavies and Blue Devils should have beaten them, but Cadets 2006 was definitely the 3rd best performed show of that year.

Blue Knights 2002, Fear And Trembling. Wow, can't believe this show didn't make finals that year. This show was amazing. I think this may be the best use of Classical music ever put on the field.

Hey, my wife was in that colorguard! We just watched it a few weeks ago, too! HA! It was a great show. Funny, I was on tour with BK that summer and always remember starring at those guard gals in yellow leather tops!!!! Who would've known that one day..... :)

Small world eh :)?

Indeed they were sassy and sultry weren't they, didn't know you married one?

Wes P

I didn't think I had anything to add to this thread but something dawned on me today...

I loved Cadets '96 show "The American West", the "Beef" show. Even considering the serious break in Red Pony, I think the music was some of the most descriptive and entertaining music I've heard to this date. It seemed the music told the story all by itself - and I love listening in the car to this show because of that - and the addition of the comedy of the "Beef" banner was a perfectly-placed piece of showmanship.

So many fans have bashed this show, or not held it among their list of favs.... Makes me think I'm crazy for liking it so much.

But I don't think so...

EDIT: So now I'll go back and read the rest of the thread...(and not be surprised if Cadets '96 doesn't show up in discussion).

Edited by garfield

77 Muchachos

78 SCV

80 BD

82 BD

85 Star of Indiana

88 SCV

89 Cadets

90 BD

90 Madison Scouts

92 SCV

94 SCV

95 BD

96 Cadets

96 Madison Scouts

98 SCV

00 SCV

01 Madison Scouts

02 BD

02 Phantom

02 Glassmen

02 Madison Scouts

02 Troopers

03 Cadets

03 Spirit

05 SCV

05 Phantom

05 BD

05 Southwind

06 BD

06 SCV

09 Boston

Sorry. I like a lot of shows nobody talks about.

Hey! There's one!