Arlington, VA (06/25)

Hmm...everyone, currently, isn't being scored for color guard so I'm not quite sure how that fits with tonight's scoring. Pardon me if I've misunderstood something. Bottom line, scoring would have been different if percussion was included like it has been since the beginning of the season. I'm not saying for better or for worse for whichever group...just different. Still a great night for both groups.

Madison is on fire right now. It was a good spread margin of victory for them too.

Boston got a 3 point jump tonite in this their 2nd show, so thats a good nite for them as well.

Edited by BRASSO

It was interesting to see Michael C. and Dan A at such a small, 4 corps show!

Great job Scouts!!

Bring back the swagger of the 90's :worthy: :worthy:

Great job Scouts! I'm really itching to see some live Drum Corps...I'm really Jonesin' here! I'll

have to wait until Drums on Parade on July 9th. Until then I'll have to settle

for the Fan Network and the site that shall not be named.

Here's something some of you will want to know about:

Though you won't be able to see the Brass scores on the currently displayed recaps from either of these shows due to something that will be fixed probably in the next day, you can still see the actual Brass scores by going into the recaps section of the scores on DCI.org and clicking on "Download the All-Age Recap," which opens up a .pdf file of the correct recap.

Thanks for that. To be honest in all these years looking at recaps I never noticed the "Download the All-Age Recap," link and that sad...lol

In addition...it was nice to see BAC 1st in brass since their was a field brass judge. :)

Edited by Liahona

Just back from Va show and now watching FN....

Crossmen were very entertaining. I LOVED the flugel line, but they're not as good brasswise as the rest of the field. It will take them a while to clean, but they have a WONDERFUL show. Drill design wasn't as spread out as the rest of the groups. Center section of the field had a few problems with the opening notes. Really a great step up from last year for them. If they work really hard, this should could go places.

Spirit of Atlanta. was ALSO great. Brass sound is much improved over last year at this time, and is closer to Boston than Crossmen. Drill seemed better written and performed for their show than Crossmen's show was for Crossmen. Nice flugel features. Good drumline and guard. This show will probably challenge for the top 12. Maybe as high as 11th-12th.

Boston. Excellent show. There will be too many comparisons with Cadets '89 show and Phantom. Great corps, but nothing unique in this show for them. They'll probably stay in the 10th-9th range come finals. I like the corps though.

Madison. WOW. Great designed book for hornline, guard, and percussion. Definitely possible top 6 show. The brass sound was really top notch, the guard is great too. We're all sure the ending of the show will change and have more motion on the field. Something needs to happen there. Also the section before Requiem needs a bunch of things added to it to be better.

Pretty much my thoughts, too.... from my somewhat limited perspective on about the 25-30 yard line or so.

Crossmen have a much more energized show this year than their recent offerings. A lot of upside here.

Spirit... a fun "dark" show. I hope they add a "murder" or two before season's end. LOL. I'm wondering if the "Lady in Red" femme fatale character will end up knocking off her female rival. :thumbup:

Scouts... High energy, emotional and powerful. Okay... POWERFUL is more like it. Great show, with a knock-your-socks-off finale in true Madison style.

BAC... wonderful, full sound. Cool show... I really like the "two ends of the field" split-corps effect. Boston should be a crowd favorite as the season goes on.

Just got home from the show. I'll give you my non expert point of view (this is my first ever review-- be nice).

Caveats: stands are pretty low even though I was in the top row on th 50 it was difficult to see the drill clearly.

Crossmen: wow what a difference from last year at the same show. While there are definitely a few issues in some of the hornline during the quieter parts of the show, when they are all on FFF they sound great. Lead trumpet soloist was pretty amazing. It is clear that compared to the other corps in their class, the crossmen are a little behind on putting the drill to the music. Not only was drill pretty messy but they seemed to lack a little confidence during the show. This became even more apparent when they played their entire show in encore. It sounded awesome. I think if we give them some time to get more comfortable putting it all together this is going to be a really nice show. I definitely got the sense at several points that the crossmen are on their way back. A a side note the electronics were way less apparent this year and I am thankful for the tasteful integration.

Spirit: I liked this show. It really takes you through a standard film noir format both in story and music. I loved the dark mysterious sounds. The music was pretty powerful at some points. What a change from forging icons. Compared to that this show is super tasteful and somewhat understated. Guard has good stuff to work with but they will definitely need to put in some hard work compete with the groups above--there are some major timing issues that I noticed in the lot that seemed to be even more apparent on the field. Overall a show I would love to see a couple more time live from a higher vantage point.

Madison: SPOILER ALERT!!! Opening with a tuba solo really gets this show off to an original start. They really paint a great portrait of New York coming to life in the morning. The guard work fits really well and the dancing it really good. Once the horn line hits the first bug push it us obvious that Madison is a top 8 solid. Going into this show I knew the title, but not what it was about. I had assumed that it was like last year -- no major story line. But as the entire corps stopped in the middle of the show and pointed up to the sky it became clear that this how was about 911. Wow what an emotional moment and very unexpected. Closing with empire state of mind really communicates to the audience the resolve to carry on after the tragedy. What a nice arrangement. I really liked that the guard picks up drums and symbols for the finale, however the ending would benefit from some additional movement. I suspect that there are plans in place for this and I am excited to see how this show progresses.

Boston: ok I have to admit I love les miz and really loved cadets 1989 effort to put this on the field. So bc's weaving of 1812 overture into the les mis melodies really didn't work well for me. It just seemed messy. Horn line was solid and with the exception of one somewhat lost seeming member, the guard was really on and together. Drill was pretty good compared to other corps of the evening, but there were at least two too-long periods where the entire corps stood still. After last years strong early season showing I have to say I was a little disappointed. Bc will have to work really hard to maintain a top 8 finish and I suspect this won't happen.

One final note: The conditions at Wakefield High are admittedly not ideal. It is great to have this show in dc, but it would be nice to find a sponsor with facilities that are slightly better suited for drum corps. We were sitting at the top of then stands on the 50 right in front of the judges stand. During the first performance (crossmen) the judges were yelling so loud into their recorders that it was almost impossible for many of the spectators to pay attention to what was happening on the field. It was so loud that I suspect that even the spectators in the lowest seats could hear the judges during the quieter moments. I get that corps need judges comments to improve, but in the end I feel pretty strongly that if dci doesn't make every effort to focus on the fan experience it will die a slow painful death. I have to thank the judges as they made an effort to speak more softly into their recorders during the quieter parts of the remaining performances.

Looking forward to warrenton show in august.

Edited by bigfanDC

I wanted to add a comment on the A&E.... All the corps had them and they were NOT obnoxious. Thank you Spirit for at least having them blend more into the overall sound than last year!

That was very nice. The group I went with didn't LOVE them, but they were glad that they weren't "too loud" to cover up the rest of the corps!

<Please take that as a sign of positivity>

Another thing....

Boston has the BEST ball caps!

Crossmen also have some nice ones, but Boston were really nice looking!

Spirit took 2nd over Boston in GE Visual

First: Congrats Madison! Good job! Can't wait to see your show live.

Spirit is also up 2.4 points since 2 days ago. Keep up the great work!

Thanks to all the reviewers. It's thru your eyes and ears we stuck-at-home fans get to experience the shows. Much appreciated!!!