NOW THAT YOU HAVE SEEN THE CORPS - What are your PREDICTIONS for DCI?

Son of Marie and Frank,.. married to Debra... 3 kids.. ' has a tall brother thats a Cop, Robert.

Wonderful family.

Two of those kids were twins right??

I think I recall him now.

I'll give the Scouts this much - they are a better corps than last year, with a little better of a show - but - I think their show has a lot of potential. They can add a few things to spice it up. As it stands now, I think it is a 9th place show at the end of the year, but I think they can get to 6th.

I think they have a better show than Phantom. At this point with SCV, omg who knows...I think it's good enough for 5th, but as far as execution, that is going to be the key.

For some reason, I just feel that the judges are not going to let the Scouts beat SCV. Just like they wouldn't let the Stars beat SCV last year. Can't see it happening. But I think the Scouts are going to take PR's spot in the Top 8.

You know, I don't even know why I'm wasting my time and thoughts on this. Really.

Anything could happen, I guess, why argue about it. Sigh. It just seems almost futile to predict things.

I guess it's fun now, but come mid July, after the Minneapolis show, barring a tornado or anything similar, we should have a pretty good idea how Finals will end up, then predictions are a moot point.

The thing you're discounting is that a DCI Champion and Tony award winning show designer hasn't planned for this. Mr. Mason knows a thing or two about showmanship, design and effect. He also knows how a show needs to grow, blossom and transform. If you think he hasn't already plotted this out, I think you'd be underestimating his abilities. Most designers do the same thing. Rarely is the first iteration of a show the same as what hits the field finals week.

So to make some of those assumptions is premature. He can (and I'm sure WILL) add demand at any time. That's one of the great things about an activity that runs for 3 months. You have time to see what your performers can handle and then give them more or water things down. It's obviously preferable to have to do the former rather than the latter, but you have time for changes.

• Like 1

I understand this. And I won't underestimate this Jim Mason guy for a second. But at the same time, has the talent level of the corps gone up that much since last year? You can only do so much with what you have in front of you...and I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't think the corps has the talent at the moment to be able to compete with the current top 3.

And all this was because someone had said that the Scouts could be in the top 3, I think I even read one person saying the Scouts were going to win it all. I can't see that happening.

And since this is competition, the kids from the Scouts are competing with the kids from other corps - other corps that probably have more talented members than they do at the moment. Not discounting anyone, but still...You can't take the Orioles, Mariners, A's, Reds, etc and say "They'll get better throughout the season, watch out, they will make the playoffs, possibly win the World Series" when you have teams like the Red Sox, Yankees, Phillies, Giants, Braves that have tons of talent and are in a better position to take those playoff spots and possibly win it all.

And even in Baseball, there is a lot more parity than in drum corps.

Those top 3 corps, even Crown's brass included, is just on such a higher level, that to say the Scouts, or Phantom, or whoever else are going to be in the top 3, is to discount what the current top 3 corps are doing at the moment, what they've done last year, the talent they have, and to say that these other corps can over take them, is just really not realistic. At least not probable.

Being realistic is not rude. I'm trying to be as realistic as I can see things from my not-as-dumb-as-you-think perspective.

The Scouts have a really good show, with the exception that they really don't have a closer at this point. Maybe that will change. But their show is just not difficult enough musically or visually to take 5th, or even 6th. Just not going to happen - they don't have enough elements in their show to attain 95 pts. And if you don't think judges don't judge show design, think again. This year, a Scouts show, or Phantom show for that matter, done 100% accurately musically and visually will still not beat a Cadets, Cavs or BD show done 90% accurately.

I see Scouts and Phantom topping out early. Their shows just don't have what it takes to compete with the top 3. They are not difficult enough - and I don't say that to be criticizing or rude about it, it is just that the show designers have designed the shows in a way that they think their members can successfully perform. Putting too much on their plate is going to set them up for failure - that is true in life anyways - but I do think that these kids can perform something slightly more difficult - give them a challenge, is what I say!

You know NOTHING! You need to watch the Scouts show a little closer. They have one of the most complex shows on the field this year. Their second movement alone is among the top 3 most difficult things being done on the field. Clearly, you are just saying this because you have a vested interest in a corps that is probably scoring lower than the Scouts right now - or, you have a vested interest in a corps who's heals Madison is nipping at and therefore you would like to convince yourself that the Scouts are not as good as they really are. Oh, and this business about "Scouts topping out early"? Not a chance! They have SOO much work to do according to what I'm seeing on the fan network. Very dirty, a lot of changes that need to be made. With such fixes, they will only get better and move up further. Please, be realistic. Madison's 2011 show will take ALL season to clean. Topping out early = impossible. Quit being ridiculous.

Edited by stevedb1975
  • Like 4

I understand this. And I won't underestimate this Jim Mason guy for a second. But at the same time, has the talent level of the corps gone up that much since last year? You can only do so much with what you have in front of you...and I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't think the corps has the talent at the moment to be able to compete with the current top 3.

And all this was because someone had said that the Scouts could be in the top 3, I think I even read one person saying the Scouts were going to win it all. I can't see that happening.

I never read that post. I certainly don't see THAT happening. The way it looks right now, they will be 6th at the highest (and that is very possible) and 8th at the lowest (probably more likely). Now, on the flip side, I read a post today that said Blue Stars "could win it all". I chuckled.

You also said...

Being realistic is not rude. I'm trying to be as realistic as I can see things from my not-as-dumb-as-you-think perspective.

Sorry, but you don't strike me as very realistic. Not when you say "Madison will top out early" when all one has to do is check the fan network recordings and see that they have a ton of dirt to clean up that will only move them up further when fixed. Realistic? No, you have an agenda. It's obvious, because I just browsed your account a little bit and your last quite a few posts (on multiple threads) serve no purpose but to down play the Madison Scouts. Clearly, you fear them beating someone you like. Sad. Why don't you just enjoy the show. It's a crowd favorite right now with a VERY good message behind it.

Edited by stevedb1975
  • Like 2

Now, on the flip side, I read a post today that said Blue Stars "could win it all". I chuckled.

Me too. But, hey, what can you do? :tongue:

Edited by BigBadMadMan

You know NOTHING! You need to watch the Scouts show a little closer. They have one of the most complex shows on the field this year. Their second movement alone is among the top 3 most difficult things being done on the field. Clearly, you are just saying this because you have a vested interest in a corps that is probably scoring lower than the Scouts right now - or, you have a vested interest in a corps who's heals Madison is nipping at and therefore you would like to convince yourself that the Scouts are not as good as they really are. Oh, and this business about "Scouts topping out early"? Not a chance! They have SOO much work to do according to what I'm seeing on the fan network. Very dirty, a lot of changes that need to be made. With such fixes, they will only get better and move up further. Please, be realistic. Madison's 2011 show will take ALL season to clean. Topping out early = impossible. Quit being ridiculous.

Poster attacks legitimate, balanced prediction; must be corps alum.

• Like 4

I certainly don't think the Scouts are going to be top 3 this year, but I don't think anyone is saying that, either.

Regardless of how much the talent level has gone up or down from last year, there's something to be said for consistent staff and member retention. When a new staff takes over, it can take a year or so for things to begin to click. If I'm not mistaken, this is the second year of this new Scouts regime, right? If that is indeed the case, I'm not surprised to see Madison competing at the level that they are this year.

I certainly don't think the Scouts are going to be top 3 this year, but I don't think anyone is saying that, either.

Regardless of how much the talent level has gone up or down from last year, there's something to be said for consistent staff and member retention. When a new staff takes over, it can take a year or so for things to begin to click. If I'm not mistaken, this is the second year of this new Scouts regime, right? If that is indeed the case, I'm not surprised to see Madison competing at the level that they are this year.

Not to mention that the member experience at Madison is very fraternal and inclusive. Their member retention is very strong because of that.

• Like 1

Not to mention that the member experience at Madison is very fraternal and inclusive. Their member retention is very strong because of that.

It's safe to say that members of the Scouts will perform whatever they are given to the fullest. I know I and my brothers next to me did,