Corps at the Crest Walnut, Ca

I totally agree. It's a definite momentum buster. Either replace it (although I might leave the short quote of it in after the Prokofiev as a transitional piece.) or rearrange it, using other source materials to add interest. Also, you have to have a real "clap here, dummy" moment after the hit.

Although I generally like the idea of staying as close as possible to the source music, if PR keeps it, they need to do some creative arranging to make this piece work. Right now, it's like a dead fish...... It just lies there and get stinkier the longer we go.

I wonder if something else could be woven into it. Perhaps something with more gravitas to give it more beef.

Or would that just be dead surf and turf?

Wrong show, I believe. The Cadets have the flame flags. I have them in the photos I took last weekend. Unless SCV has them somewhere. But I don't recall seeing them in any pics. Will have to check.

Just re-watched the Stanford show on FanNetwork...... I'm seein' some flamein' flame flags! :smile: It's a high-cam video, but you can still see the flames. Oh well. I'll have to wait and see what evolves. Hope they use them, though. They really gave a Dante's inferno feel! :devil::thumbup:

I wonder if something else could be woven into it. Perhaps something with more gravitas to give it more beef.

Or would that just be dead surf and turf?

I think that if you took the B verse and added quotes from East of Eden and Elsa's, you now have Juliet's theme, the love theme and the foreshadowing of the end. Many possibilities while still keeping the same basic structure.

It refers to the drop of saline based water that runs down one's cheek when hearing the beautiful ballads played by Phantom's hornline.....

Hahahah awesome and so true

For those of you putting down SCV first off, not a honk or an Alumni, far from it. But I went to both the Oceanside and Walnut shows. In Oceanside, Phantom definitely was better and deserved a higher brass score too. In Walnut, SCV was a completely different monster. They were tired of having Phantom in front of them and wanted to take them out. They weren't the loudest or cleanest corps but man did they perform their hearts out. The drill had cleaned up A LOT and the brass section starting putting out a bit more volume than before. They are getting their sound quality back but have a lot of work to do before they become the Vanguard we all know and love. It was a well deserved victory over phantom. But I don't think guard or brass should be on top of phantoms just yet even with that tear.

P.S Hope I helped made the Vanguard yell placement obvious on the fannetwork video once it uploads.

>>>>>An interesting idea. An expert coming in with unbiased opinion could be very neat. However, I still think we have to listen to the people who really pay the bills: The Ticketholder.<<<<

I stand corrected and apologize for attributing someone else's comment to you, though it was a comment that at first glance (coupled with your other collective comments) it appears you agreed with.

Rocketman wrote:

"Not wanting to sound like a "homer" but, SCV's musical programs is horible, and even with alleged "tears" [Regiment] should beat it."

I interpreted that to be a reference to the music ensemble programs (i.e. brass program integrated with the percussion program) of the Santa Clara Vanguard, and not the music the corps is playing this year.

Your response to Rocketman was:

"Oh, I agree in regards to SCV's music."

That's certainly not the same thing as my interpretation, and likewise, not at all a reference to the members themselves.

Anyway, your above comment came after you previously stated:

"Bill Doyle judged Brass last night and had SCV 1.5 points AHEAD of PR. Ummm..... Not buying it. As many Tweets, comments, posts and emails about how weak, young, out of tune and etc. that I've read about SCV, even at last night's show and they 1.5 pointed Brass?????

Again, I think I accurately interpreted that to be a reference the the SCV brass program, and admittedly, you didn't say those things, you simply said that you'd read those things.

Finally, you stated:

"PR beat themselves tonight." An implication that SCV's hard work (again, the hard work of the members) was not a factor in the outcome.

You're correct, your comment was not a direct comment on the members themselves, and I apologize for interpreting that it did, but I do contend that when placed in context with your other comments (coupled with your heavy PR bias, which is okay, I'm heavily biased toward SCV), they can certainly be interpreted as an indirect (as well as inaccurate) comment on the hard work of the members. Thus my original response.

Not liking SCV's 2011 musical program is different from describing the musical ensemble/performance programs as "horrible," as I believe Rocketman did (and for which I thought you originally expressed agreement). I don't think many people would disagree that the members put much of themselves (physically and emotionally) into the product that they share with us, and when commentary such as that is used in response to their work, I shouldn't equate that to mean-spirited commentary about the "hard working members" and their production.

My flaw was in writing: "... mean-spirited comments about hard working corps members," as opposed to "mean-spirited comments about the hard work of the corps members." There's a big difference there.

Musical programs vs. Music program

Hard working members vs. Hard work of the members

Ah, the power of words!

Anyway, somehow you've garnered quite a few negative red hits to some of your posts in this thread, so you're either terrible at expressing yourself, or you're an expert at walking up to the line but not crossing it. :cool: Bottom line, upon further review, I owe you an apology.

Tonight will be a new issue to debate over. Good luck PR. Go Vanguard!

• Like 3

Where was the opening solo last night? Was the person sick and not at the show??? First thing I noticed.

There was reference in the Blue Devils thread (now on page 2), that the opener for BD changed. There is also video on the "tube" under " Blue Devi,s 2011 Opener" that seems to show this change from a rehearsal. Unless that video was them practicing a segment, rather then the actual beginning of the show- it would seem that the opener we saw at Stanford is No longer there, I am waiting to see the VOD...I wasn't at Walnut last night, but read the news of the change.

I loved the introduction, as it was. The first time I heard it In the theater show, it was a bit muddled, and I didn't like it. I realized later on, it was due to the high winds in Texas, and habitual/obligatory "low volume" of the movie theater. When I had the chance to see Stanford and I could push the volume to 11 on the FN....man, the opener and really the show was like seeing an old friend again. Loved the fact that they could come out slow, relaxed, melodic and loud. Reminded me of 88...a show I can watch all day, everyday, and always smile about.

I understand change happens...I rarely if ever complain about a show......but BD please don't cut the closer (musically), as you have in the opener. I think the closer to this show is classic. . The last 2 minutes is what I am referring to. The part where they are building the house, and using the synth patch. I hope they expand upon it, rather than hose it. Even better, if they kept it, and then tagged it ....like 88. I think this has the ability to have that thing we all want ...the ability to hum it, after we leave the stadium...

... just my 2 cents.

Edited by Dmlkmen

:cool: Bottom line, upon further review, I owe you an apology.

Tonight will be a new issue to debate over. Good luck PR. Go Vanguard!

No apology necessary, really. It's all good.

Yup tonight, new show. My hope is that ALL of the performers have great runs tonight, for the fans as well as themselves. :thumbup:

• Like 1

There was reference in the Blue Devils thread (now on page 2), that the opener for BD changed. There is also video on the "tube" under " Blue Devi,s 2011 Opener" that seems to show this change from a rehearsal. Unless that video was them practicing a segment, rather then the actual beginning of the show- it would seem that the opener we saw at Stanford is No longer there, I am waiting to see the VOD...I wasn't at Walnut last night, but read the news of the change.

I loved the introduction, as it was. The first time I heard it In the theater show, it was a bit muddled, and I didn't like it. I realized later on, it was due to the high winds in Texas, and habitual/obligatory "low volume" of the movie theater. When I had the chance to see Stanford and I could push the volume to 11 on the FN....man, the opener and really the show was like seeing an old friend again. Loved the fact that they could come out slow, relaxed, melodic and loud. Reminded me of 88...a show I can watch all day, everyday, and always smile about.

I understand change happens...I rarely if ever complain about a show......but BD please don't cut the closer (musically), as you have in the opener. I think the closer to this show is classic. . The last 2 minutes is what I am referring to. The part where they are building the house, and using the synth patch. I hope they expand upon it, rather than hose it. Even better, if they kept it, and then tagged it ....like 88. I think this has the ability to have that thing we all want ...the ability to hum it, after we leave the stadium...

... just my 2 cents.

Keep in mind that they still have another tune " God give me strength" still to add to the end and I'm certain fold it into the "House is not a home" reprise. It will be epic!