SCV perc: secret to success

Maybe they had a high age out rate last season......just a guess

I know that a lot of the students who followed Rennick (at least from the pit anyway) are his students at UNT as well.

If I were in that situation I would pick teacher loyalty over corps loyalty.

Actually, a third of SCV's percussion section was at PR. One wonders when an entire section follows a caption head. Obviously, it's understandable when an instructor's own students follow him, but what about the others? What are corps doing (not only PR) to ensure it's well being by encouraging loyalty to corps, not instructor? Yes, it is understandable that an instructor's abilities have something to do with the success of the corps, but ultimately the talent of the musicians determines the final outcome of the corps' efforts.

I've waited a long time to jump on board on this topic: I know one of the young men who moved from PR to SCV (OK, he's our son!). He was a snare player for 4 years for PR and is not connected with North Texas. We talked with him about corps loyalty, and he wrestled long and hard with that. Finally, his high admiration of Paul Rennick and the incredible instruction Paul brings won out. And then there is the unique fraternity that is the percussion section...in high school marching bands as well as drum corps. They become so tight. The friendship factor with battery mates factored in as well in the PR to SCV switch. One thing that was not a factor: Mr. Rennick did not recruit. He was a pro in this move.

• Like 4

I've waited a long time to jump on board on this topic: I know one of the young men who moved from PR to SCV (OK, he's our son!). He was a snare player for 4 years for PR and is not connected with North Texas. We talked with him about corps loyalty, and he wrestled long and hard with that. Finally, his high admiration of Paul Rennick and the incredible instruction Paul brings won out. And then there is the unique fraternity that is the percussion section...in high school marching bands as well as drum corps. They become so tight. The friendship factor with battery mates factored in as well in the PR to SCV switch. One thing that was not a factor: Mr. Rennick did not recruit. He was a pro in this move.

Your thoughts and your son's consternation over the move from PR to is certainly understandable. And not to belabor the point, but think about the flip side of this coin. There's the opportunity given Rennick by PR and there's the time, money and training given your son by PR. It goes way beyond the 8 or 9 snares he has performed with. Being a musician in high school as well as college I certainly understand the issues here. And I have no doubt that Rennick was completely ethical in terms of not recruiting players from PR. Rennick is a class act and there needs to be more like him in the activity. As I see it,

if a student wants to study under a certain teacher, that should be done on the college level, not drum corps. And if a student is fortunate enough to have the additional exposure to a certain teacher at the drum corps level then all the better. My point was not aimed at any one person or teacher, but at the idea of what are corps doing to maintain it's members they have invested in.

Edited by srb30a

I think SCV percussion is going to give them some advantage this year, but not nearly as much as some posters in this forum think it will.

I've been to several drum corps shows this year and 2 of them have been home shows with the 'age out' program at the end. I especially remember Cavies age outs. Each one got to give name, city from, position in corps and how many years in the corps. ONE year was the overwhelming answer.

I don't think there is a lot of loyalty to a drum corps experience any more unless it is to a director or teacher. Its a lot of money to shell out to have fun for the summer! And, seeing a lot of the corps members are music majors or music geeks, they are going to choose where they want to be.

REMEMBER....we no longer have all the 'feeder' corps we used to have, so there is no long standing loyalty to a corps anymore.....IMO.

Anyway, best of luck SCV! Looking forward to seeing you in the big metropolis of Paddock Lake, WI on the 13th!

Your thoughts and your son's consternation over the move from PR to is certainly understandable. And not to belabor the point, but think about the flip side of this coin. There's the opportunity given Rennick by PR and there's the time, money and training given your son by PR. It goes way beyond the 8 or 9 snares he has performed with. Being a musician in high school as well as college I certainly understand the issues here. And I have no doubt that Rennick was completely ethical in terms of not recruiting players from PR. Rennick is a class act and there needs to be more like him in the activity. As I see it,

if a student wants to study under a certain teacher, that should be done on the college level, not drum corps. And if a student is fortunate enough to have the additional exposure to a certain teacher at the drum corps level then all the better. My point was not aimed at any one person or teacher, but at the idea of what are corps doing to maintain it's members they have invested in.

Many of the players that went from Phantom to SCV were at Phantom originally because of Rennick, either as students of his at UNT or because they wanted to march in his drum line based on his reputation. They chose to march Phantom because of him, and because it gave them the best shot at being on a championship line. There were even some that came to Phantom in 2010 from other higher placing corps because they wanted to learn from him and be in that line.

After winning high drums in 2010 of course these kids are going to follow their instructor, knowing that Phantom would be having a rebuilding year with a new staff with new writing styles and new teaching techniques. To say that these kids, or any other kids who follow their teachers to other corps, should have a blind loyalty to their corps is just not reality.

• Like 1

To the actual topic, and SCV. One corps I marched had silent bus rides, where sleeping was discouraged (though a 2 hour trip from Mississippi to Louisiana for a show was a lone exception). The other it was up the members -- usually light conversations, personal music, followed by a pre-show CD put on 10-15 minutes before arriving at the show site... JOURNEY!

wonderful post.

hope your son is having a great year.

The horn bus I was on had a personal choice thing. You could nap, polish your horn, talk, whatever you wanted. I had a pre-show playlist on my iPod I'd listen to. Usually about the last 10-15 minutes, we'd put on a pre-show hype CD, or someone's iPod, and we'd all jump around and get hyped up. But once we got the show site, everyone went silent until we got off the buses.

One thing that was not a factor: Mr. Rennick did not recruit.

I know FOR A FACT that this is NOT true.

And I LOVE Paul Rennick and also think that he's the best in the business.

As a side note... I don't see what difference it makes that he did recruit.

He is the reason almost all those kids went to PR, it makes sense that they would gladly follow him elsewhere.

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken
  • Like 1

Paul Rennick probably could have went to the Jersey Surf and some of his kids would have followed him. Certain kids adopt a loyalty to their instructor and feel secure with them. It's their comfort zone. I don't know how many times I've seen that happen. Besides, it opened some opportunities for some kids who wanted to get into PR.