Riverside Review - Show Themes - BD and PR

So essentially, because Regiment's theme strikes a deeper chord and is more meaningful on an emotional level, they should score higher.

Got it.

Looks like Cadets are winning this year, because I don't think you can get any more universally meaningful than Heaven vs. Hell.

well said. end of point!!!!!

No new judging criterion is required. The category is general effect.

Let's start at the beginning.

--Why does Phantom play Elsa? What does it have to do with Juliet? Is it an unconscious accident? Had you even considered why?

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

--Why did Blue Devils choose Bacharach?

Because they were taken to task on DCP last year for not exploiting their “impulsive pop whimsy” potential?

--How do BD's obelisks and gazebos add to their theme? Do they have one?

I'm guessing they're interesting to look at? Or, perhaps they are Freudian symbols of the exalting of the guard women’s “sense of purpose in performing the piece.”

--Should a corps be rewarded for playing pop music with no concrete story elements?

Should they be punished for not following a concrete theme that demonstrates a “sense of purpose” that was perhaps “misunderstood at first glance”?

--Should a corps who attempts to address universal, lasting themes get more points or fewer than an abstract, feel-good pop melange?

They should get more points if their performance and achievement is better. They should get less if it isn’t.

To ignore these questions is to be unaware of show design, the point scoring system, and the meaning behind music.

To ignore these questions is to be aware that drum corps is—first and foremost—meant to be entertaining.

• Like 5

I fail to see how the themes are any better or worse than each other. The two shows are attempting to tell different stories in different ways. The "winner" will be the show that executes more thoroughly. There is much whimsy in Juliet, and there are elemental conflicts and emotions explored in Baccarat's catalogue, if one is to look as objectively as possible and parse the meaning(s) from the works.

One must accept the show on its own terms. You can be put off by the fact that the Blue Devils aren't performing the show you'd construct, but this is an unfair demand. What they present to us is all we can consider, if we're going to be serious about critiquing this year's programs.

In other words: You can have a show about high schoolers (or some other theme similarly considered "low," or "frivolous"), or you can do Beowulf: in the end, a theme should be a vehicle for exploring the human condition, the limits of story-telling, art, etc, whatever your goals are. The perceived "depth" of the theme vis-a-vis plot, character, setting, is not important. Indeed, great works of art have been created through re-narrating the most classical of works in radically different settings, tones, characters. West Side Story comes to mind.

I hope ya'll are grasping what I'm trying to put forth here; this reply seems a bit vague to me, I'll try and do better later, but right now I've got to go blow stuff up for America.

• Like 1

-and I should add, that this, obviously, has NOTHING to do with how shows are judged on the field. This is merely a few thoughts on how to considere themes in art themselves. We all know themes aren't part of the scores. This fact makes this entire thread weird and doomed to failure, but I thought I'd give it a go.

I think the "shocking desparity[sic] here" is largely the result of the way you have chosen to interpret it.

What then is the meaning behind the Bacharach tunes and why they selected them? (I can't wait to hear this.)

PS: Thanks for finding the one misspelling in my post--I know how to employ you now.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Agreed. I think BD's show is just a cigar.

I'm guessing they're interesting to look at? Or, perhaps they are Freudian symbols of the exalting of the guard women’s “sense of purpose in performing the piece.”

You're joking because you can't defend the choice of Bacharach songs as meaningful. You can't. That's why you're joking here, pretending that corps can be about nothing but vibrations and technique, when clearly this activity has gotten to the point of featuring universal themes, and you know it. You're old. Come on, step up to the plate, here.

Should they be punished for not following a concrete theme that demonstrates a “sense of purpose” that was perhaps “misunderstood at first glance”?

Any thematic argument, to start with, would be good.

To ignore these questions is to be aware that drum corps is—first and foremost—meant to be entertaining.

Great works of art, great productions, whether they're about Churchill Downs, or Spartacus, or going mad, or even a boxing match have a univeral, unique thematic argument that impacts audiences forever. And the best productions tie in the performers with what they're performing, and who they are, right now. And you gotta admit, most people responding here have never even thought about why musical compositions are selected. The show designers do. I know you've talked to them.

What then is the meaning behind the Bacharach tunes and why they selected them? (I can't wait to hear this.)

PS: Thanks for finding the one misspelling in my post--I know how to employ you now.

Why is Crown using Queen tunes? Why did Cavies do Billy Joel? Why did Cadets tap into Jethro Tull? Why are Bluecoats going all Radiohead?

Perhaps you should be posing this question directly to BD's design staff.

Either that, or stop taking drum corps so seriously.

The show should NEVER be in Riverside again. Not nearly enough space for everyone. Time to move the show somewhere else.

Why is Crown using Queen tunes? Why did Cavies do Billy Joel? Why did Cadets tap into Jethro Tull? Why are Bluecoats going all Radiohead?

Perhaps you should be posing this question directly to BD's design staff.

Either that, or stop taking drum corps so seriously.

The staff thinks about it, why don't you?