Riverside Review - Show Themes - BD and PR

Juliet is over 600 years old and you seem to like her OK. :tongue:

AND she was willing to die for a cause.

• Like 1

I simply CANNOT believe that all of you have missed the meaning of the Blue Devils' 2011 show. Come on folks, do I have to

spoon feed it to you?!

Oh well, here it goes:

Matter is energy. In the universe, there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person's soul. However, this soul does not exist ab initio, as orthodox Christianity teaches. It has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved, owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.

Now next time, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION!!!

Not just for me- that's silly- but for all those who had to pay 10 bucks to watch it from the back- or from the sides- and even in the parking structure. How many of those were 1s timers? That would be a terrible experience.

Yea, I know. I've been there many times. It's not the greatest venue, but it has historical meaning. That's why there are/have been two other shows in the area (Inland Empire "ish").

There's also the San Diego show. You DO have a point, but it is what it is. I just don't think we should complain about such an historical venue as Tiger Stadium.

• Like 1

I simply CANNOT believe that all of you have missed the meaning of the Blue Devils' 2011 show. Come on folks, do I have to

spoon feed it to you?!

Oh well, here it goes:

Matter is energy. In the universe, there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person's soul. However, this soul does not exist ab initio, as orthodox Christianity teaches. It has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved, owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.

I dig BD's and PR's music; my oh my, what am I to do? 'tis hard to choose so early this thus season. Romeo or Burt?

Edited by lindap

Would most Southern Californians fans prefer an Orange County site...where it is 20 degrees cooler...Like Long Beach City College, Orange Coast College....the newly renovated Huntington Beach HS stadium?

Long Beach CC and Mt. SAC are both vastly better locations than RCC.

spoon feed it to you?!

Oh well, here it goes:

I knew it had to be something simple.

Long Beach CC and Mt. SAC are both vastly better locations than RCC.

Well, Mt. Sac has a show.... and I did marching band championship at Long Beach CC, and it really wasn't that great. Not the greatest of areas, and having that Boeing plant next door caused some big problems with noise pollution....

ROFL! This is like saying the show The Office is terrible because it is not as deep and meaninful as the show ER was. I have a feeling when you go to open mic night, you expect deep poets with scarfs walking up to a mic in a coffee shop with someone playing bongos in the shadows. I for one expect to see someone like Ron White show up to an open mic night... not saying your wrong... but chill out, pull up the FN and drink a cold one, maybe that will help :beer::thumbup::guinesssmilie:

Edited by TubaJon
  • Like 2

I'm just shocked at the ignorant “Just enjoy the show” and “sometimes a cigar is just a cigar” comments on this board, and I assume show designers are appalled reading this board, too. :w00t: No corps show designer or composer is as casual about these pieces as you lunkheads. They put effort into designing their shows, and their work is to be judged on their intentions. If they choose not to have a theme or any social relevance, then they need to tell us why. This isn't abstract art.

Clearly, drum corps show design has advanced to the point where music of substance, and universal themes of substance, even literary subject matters are being addressed. Designers today have a thematic argument in mind. The activity has clearly evolved beyond the Burt Bacharach medley type show. That's not my interpretation, that's a common fact. Michaeal Boo knows this well, he's a veteran reviewer. Why he's shying away from sophisticated criticism when the activity needs him most is probably some personal popularity issue.

And this year, beyond any other, shows us that drum corps shows have reached a level of sophistication that they are works of art unto themselves, with carefully defined points of view, thematic arguments and even social underpinnings-- from Spartacus to the age of broken technology. Hell, even the Velvet Knights had a theme of comedy in their old shows.

But to hear the rash of ignorant comments on this board, you would think drum corps fans were unable to think about themes and how they're staged-- beyond the “loud, louder, loudest” paradigm. The preppy professional guy in a golf shirt who sat next to me at a recent show said “Who cares, they’re in-your-face loud.” Um, really? You’re that shallow? There’s a freaking show about hell in front of us, or a show about Juliet’s suicide, or a show about the absurdity of life, or a show making fun of iconic American images like Jaws eating the Valkyrie singing opera in the Velvet Knights show in the 80’s, but there’s absolutely no thought in your mind about the meaning behind the music you’re listening to or how it’s staged here? And you have a college degree? Not even one tiny little bitty thought like “this music defines the age of American innocence?” or “this reminds me how love survives” or “I think the designers of this show are telling us something about how we treat outsiders , or human foibles or the ridiculousness of authority?”

Born in the USA? The Firebird Suite? Stand By Your Man? London Calling? Music of substance, like these pieces, have a social impact and are great because there’s meaning behind the music. There’s a reason these pieces are played by the people who play them. (I can’t believe I’m even talking about this, it’s so rudimentary.) But to read the comments on this board, including those by gun-shy veteran reviewer Michael Boo, one would think drum corps was only about technique and performance with “no caption on the balance sheet for social relevance.” That comment is so avoidant, and so ignorant, you wonder how anyone could stay in this activity so long and publically say that themes of substance are optional, and “sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.” No show designer, or dedicated critic would call their show “just a cigar.” Or “art for art’s sake.” That’s so avoidant, it’s sad.

Not all themed shows are good. Not all themed shows are executed well, but to summarily dismiss this trend of show concepts of substance, especially at this critical juncture in the activity's evolution, or to avoid discussion of them entirely proves that the people marching in these shows and the people watching them are incapable of freaking understanding the themes in them. Did anyone on here for one second think about what Santa Clara’s show is about?

Answer the following basic questions. Don’t avoid them, don’t joke about how I should take a chill pill, or how drum corps isn’t about that. Drum corps is about this.

--What is the lasting significance of a Burt Bacharach medley in history?

--What is memorable or impactful about a Burt Bacharach medley?

--How do the visual themes of obelisks and gazebos tie in to these Burt Bacharach tunes?

--How do the themes of Burt Bacharach directly relate the lives of these young performers and why they’re playing it?

Answer the freaking questions. ;)

My God, people. You’re half dead and you haven’t even taken a moment to recognize why music was selected, and what meaning the music has on its performers and audience. “But it sure is loud.” :tongue:

Edited by Brutus
  • Like 2