fan network

I was just starting to check out the michigan city vod. Mine is not very clear compared to all others. Anyone else having this problem?

My experience has been great. The same with the Walnut, CA shows yesterday.

I have to say that The Bluecoats' show is growing on me fast! The music is much better than last year, in my opinion.

I was just starting to check out the michigan city vod. Mine is not very clear compared to all others. Anyone else having this problem?

I shot the Stanford and Walnut shows. I did it in 1080i HD, and then downcoverted it to 720p HD (as they are much smaller files, and are more quickly uploaded). The DCI Fan Network is hosted on Brightcove, which automatically makes lower resolution videos.

When you use the DCI FN, they are played from Brightcove, which automatically detects your internet speed and feeds you the appropriately compressed video. The faster your connection, the better quality video you will get, all the way up to the original 720p HD quality.

I don't know who shot video for the MC show, but it's possible they only shot it in Standard Definition (SD = 480i), which would result in it looking less clear than the 720p videos. FYI, if the show was shot in SD, then Brightcove would automatically UPscale the video to 720p, which would make it look fuzzy.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff that makes sense to me. My internet is up to 6 meg so that should be enough i would think. Nice to have a response from such a vet and respected person in the drum corps world.

I shot the Stanford and Walnut shows. I did it in 1080i HD, and then downcoverted it to 720p HD (as they are much smaller files, and are more quickly uploaded). The DCI Fan Network is hosted on Brightcove, which automatically makes lower resolution videos.

When you use the DCI FN, they are played from Brightcove, which automatically detects your internet speed and feeds you the appropriately compressed video. The faster your connection, the better quality video you will get, all the way up to the original 720p HD quality.

I don't know who shot video for the MC show, but it's possible they only shot it in Standard Definition (SD = 480i), which would result in it looking less clear than the 720p videos. FYI, if the show was shot in SD, then Brightcove would automatically UPscale the video to 720p, which would make it look fuzzy.

Hope that helps!

FWIW, your vids on Fan Network look fantastic! If I had the authority, I would hire you for all of the Fan Network vids!

Thanks for the good quality videos!! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Hope that helps!

Minor correction -- Brightcove does not "upscale" renditions of video. If you go to expanded or full screen, the pixels are the same. The thing that upscales is the local computer's video card. In short, the effect is exactly how Jeff describes it.

Minor correction -- Brightcove does not "upscale" renditions of video. If you go to expanded or full screen, the pixels are the same. The thing that upscales is the local computer's video card. In short, the effect is exactly how Jeff describes it.

My bad ... I thought that BC upscaled videos!

Thanks for the kudos 1977 and perc! :smile: I love shooting video of corps! One of these days I hope to be as good as Mike Zapanta (the guy who does the BD DVDs!).

On a related note, I saw on the schedule that they're adding the CYO show from 7/1. Definitely excited to see that show added (hopefully) sometime today!

Jeff,

Just wanted to pop in and say that the Corps at the Crest show is the best quality VOD I've seen. Thanks for the extra effort! :thumbup: