What states should have a drum corps?

I think that Momentum out of Missouri is a very good program in the making. Also a very good name for a drum corps (especially if you're familiar with Missouri's state code abbreviation - MO). Programs like Gateway Indoor, V.I.P., and, to an extent, Freedom Percussion are already setting good standards for percussion education in the St. Louis area, but otherwise, I think the musical scene in Missouri could only be helped by a stronger presence of marching music. It might help if Prairie Sound were a bit more... substantive.

At least we have our shows back! :tongue:

(The Missouri shows, mind you, both ironically take place outside of state lines. Olathe, KS is the KC, MO show while the Lebanon, IL show is the StL, MO show. Geeze!)

Not sure. I didn't start following DCI till 2003, and they were already in Allentown and under YEA, so I just assumed that was the reason for the move. If anyone knows for sure, I'd love to know

I asked George Hopkins about this and here's what he says.

YEA started up in 1990.

The Cadets moved to Allentown in September, 2004.

So, the corps was not yet in Allentown in 2003. (Don't worry...Your memory will do even more things like that to you as you get older. Trust me on that.)

I'd love to see my home state of Indiana have a drum corps...officially, that is.

Well, we do have the five time DCA Minicorps Champion. Just sayin'......

What would a drum corps from Utah be called?

The Morbid Tableknocker Choir?

• Like 1

For example, New York has a reputation for being one of the best states for music education but yields no drum corps (then again you have to consider that the east coast has quite a few of them, but still...). New York City is also the most populated city in the US.

So all this left me with this question: What states (or cities) do you feel should have a drum corps that currently do not have one?

Opinion away...

Remember, there is still great, competitive drum corps outside of DCI. The New York area plays host to 9 great DCA drum corps already. New York City Specifically, no... but members all around that area feed these corps.

:ph34r:

I asked George Hopkins about this and here's what he says.

YEA started up in 1990.

The Cadets moved to Allentown in September, 2004.

So, the corps was not yet in Allentown in 2003. (Don't worry...Your memory will do even more things like that to you as you get older. Trust me on that.)

My memory of something George said in an interview one time is that they moved to Allentown because they got an incredible space incredibly cheaply. I know nothing about their facilities, but that was basically the gist.

My memory of something George said in an interview one time is that they moved to Allentown because they got an incredible space incredibly cheaply. I know nothing about their facilities, but that was basically the gist.

It was an offer he couldn't refuse. :)

I have heard two people say it Louisiana needs one. I'm in North Louisiana and there are many DCi folks around here. 3 high school band directors and 1 college (that I know of) are regiment alums. Dr. Rinehart at ULM is the brass caption head for the glassmen. Northwestern state has multiple members in regiment and in cavies. There are a bunch who have marched corps in LA and some that have the ability but the distance is the biggest concern. We could support it most of the bands in North LA are strong and so is South LA if we had one I'm sure it would take off....as long as the words gator, swamp or Cajun stay out of the name

I have heard two people say it Louisiana needs one. I'm in North Louisiana and there are many DCi folks around here. 3 high school band directors and 1 college (that I know of) are regiment alums. Dr. Rinehart at ULM is the brass caption head for the glassmen. Northwestern state has multiple members in regiment and in cavies. There are a bunch who have marched corps in LA and some that have the ability but the distance is the biggest concern. We could support it most of the bands in North LA are strong and so is South LA if we had one I'm sure it would take off....as long as the words gator, swamp or Cajun stay out of the name

Ok, so Tiger, Tigerbait, Creole, Acadian, and such are ok ? :ph34r: