What states should have a drum corps?

Can we get another here in GA for the people who dont want to march Spirit...? Nothing against them but 1 choice sucks. Doesnt matter for me though im marching at 1-2 choices.

yea, DCI will just move all the corps to Georgia, don't worry. Should happen within the next few years. Just for you.

I'm glad you are marching at one of your choices. Is one of them the couchmen? Because it seems like, along with the rest of us on DCP this summer, that is where you are currently marching.

• Like 6

Can we get another here in GA for the people who dont want to march Spirit...? Nothing against them but 1 choice sucks.

Let's not be greedy. GA has gotten their corps back, and they've been one H#LL of a corps for over 30 years.

I can remember when the only corps in GA was the Monroe Girls.

• Like 1

Hawaii- the members and fans would just love to get layed!!:-)(leied)

Seriously though I think that Tennessee should have a WC corps. Missouri as well. How about the Tennessee Miners and the Riverboat Gamblers for Missouri!

Pontoon bus?

• Like 1

Wow, and yet you left out Moe Latour ?

Start with The Crescent City Cadets / Southernairs back in the 50's and early 60's that turned into the Masquaraders / Crescent City Rebels / Stardusters

In the late 60's it was Southern Rebels / Masquraders / Stardusters

In 72 the Blue Raeders were formed and harvested members from the other three and went on to place in finals at the first DCI. However, as this was the first experiment in a BoD run corps as opposed to a one man show, many good people like Moe Latour and Marty Hurley left for other DCI corps where people with the heart for competition were running the corps. During this same time period, the Golden Shields came into being as a youth group of the NOPD but never made it to the field for competition. Of course there was also the parade corps that was associated with Prytania school but was really nothing more than a winter guard and parade corps.

Of course Stardusters and Bleu Raeders merged for 74 and were called Regiment Militare until splitting again for the 75 season.

Southernairs reemerged to take DCI calss A championships in 81 ? 82 ? I can't remember.

Later Expressions emerged out of Hammond Louiaiana and lasted for a few years.

For a time, large groups of kids from Louisiana marched Blue Stars,Phantom, Cadets and later Troopers ( as well as many individual kids marching in almost every marjor corps.

Louisiana and New Orleans has a rich history in drum corps and to think at one point there were five active corps in New Orleans.

The biggest problem with drum corps in this area is politics, heat and humidity.

Northern VA has some powerhouse HS music programs (they focus more on the concert side) and it is an untapped resource by DCI, IMO. That said, these schools also don't end until the middle of June, so that is its own issue.

Yes you are correct. In this NOVA area it's all about the concert bands, and maybe a little marching band. I've seen some very good indoor guard and drumline programs in Fairfax and Loudoun, including Chantilly High School (their indoor percussion won Scholastic Class A finals in WGI).

I do want to add that if there is any place in Virginia I call the capital of marching arts, it's Hampton Roads (for all you non-Virginia people, that's southeast around Virginia Beach, Chesapeake). Those high school bands march like no other in the state....they live and breathe the activity.

I was helping out with recruiting for The Cadets one fall and I was at one USSBA show in Herndon (35 bands) and the 2nd show in Virginia Beach (12 bands). I got more interest in Cadets from the 2nd show than I did the 1st show....

Louisiana really is ripe for getting a new corps going. Lots of great musical history there. And some very good bands out of Lafayette, Baton Rouge, and Monroe. Plus is would be nice to see a little more ethnic and racial diversity return to DCI.

Pontoon bus?

Or just pile em into a submarine.... In fact the corps name should be Submarines!!!

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Kansas. There used to be a couple of fair to middlin' drum corps from here. Argonne Rebels from Great Bend and the Sky Ryders from Hutchinson. Both corps survived for more than 30 years. (mostly before DCI). There are a couple of Hall of Famers that marched with the Sky Ryders and am not sure about the Argonne Rebels. I think an all Kansas corps supported by the alumni of both of these corps would be a real boon to the state and the music programs in the public schools.

I wish that every state could have at least one. WC, OC, it wouldn't matter to me. I wouldn't care if DCI had a thousand of them. That would suit me just fine.

What would a drum corps from Utah be called?

"The Salt Lake Lancers" or "The Salts"