Staff behavior concerns...examples/solutions

And one more broad comment-

Why do we always have to pi** and moan about every little thing? Can't people just be content that they going to a drum corps show?

What I would like to see the most from staff is for them to "model" the same behavior they expect from their corps members. Many of them don't. One of the glaring deficiencies in many drum corps is that director's do not set an expectation of their staff members to "lead by example."

Jason

Only in a world like drum corps would it be the customers job to seek out the company and its subsidiaries to tell them why they don't like their product.

It should be the other way around.

So, back to your restaurant example. If you have a bad experience in a restaurant, you are not expected to voice that opinion, whether it be to a manager, the server, or even through a corporate website? The other night we were at a restaurant, and the server brought us the wrong appetizer. We pointed it out, and the problem was solved. If the corps director does not know it's going on, how can the situation be fixed?

• Like 1

So, back to your restaurant example. If you have a bad experience in a restaurant, you are not expected to voice that opinion, whether it be to a manager, the server, or even through a corporate website? The other night we were at a restaurant, and the server brought us the wrong appetizer. We pointed it out, and the problem was solved. If the corps director does not know it's going on, how can the situation be fixed?

When people stop going to restaurants they either seek out their own problems or pay experiential marketing/advertising/research firms to figure it out.

The amount of feedback that is taken in the actual course of business is almost nil.

Most of it has to be thrown out, anyway, because the great majority of people at restaurants who do not like their experience, seldom offer what part of the experience they did like.

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken
  • Like 1

DCP is about discussion. Not about "making things happen".

I'm not under the impression any conversations here will make anything happen.

IF that was the case, PR would have performed Spartacus every year since 2008. Electronics would still be illegal. Forms would be symmetrical. G Bugles with 2 valves would still be commonplace.

Now THOSE particular examples may be hard to quantify, but we know for a fact that the Scouts admin has addresses this and several other issues directly on here.

Hearkening back to my first post in this thread, if you don't think this place is lurked heavily by staff, corps leadership and DCI admin, you'd be wrong. Larger administrative issues may be out of our league when it comes to corps voting on rule changes and such, but to think this place has no voice or cannot have an affect is naive.

I really do think some people here think that if they type it here, the corps directors will read it on here and act on it. It seems a lot harder than the other way, but more power to them, I suppose.

I'm sure the staffs read on here, but direct communication always works better for sure.

Edited by WOOHOO

What I would like to see the most from staff is for them to "model" the same behavior they expect from their corps members. Many of them don't. One of the glaring deficiencies in many drum corps is that director's do not set an expectation of their staff members to "lead by example."

Jason

I don't agree with the "many" part. We definitely try to lead by example. Our kids know what our expectations are (be respectful, represent the organization, etc.) and we try to lead by example.

First, thanks for starting this thread so that a broader and less personalized discussion on the topic can be had.

Second, I did email the Scouts about my complaint and was happy to see such a thoughtful and concerned reply from their director on DCP.

Third, I do have to work in order to afford going to shows so I did not contribute to the other discussion because I was at work and did not get home until that thread was already closed.

Fourth, the individual I mentioned in the other thread was not a member of the audience but did have a show ID around his neck, sat in the aisle/stands for only the Scouts performance, and knew (as evidenced by the comments he screamed) every move that the guard was about to make before they made it. Might have been a volunteer but it was someone clearly connected with and extremely knowledgeable of the Scouts show.

Fifth, I’m all for fans, volunteers, instructors, designers, etc. yelling and going crazy for their corps in recognition of something that corps just did (past tense) on the field. I find it rude and inappropriate to yell remarks in the middle of a musical statement, before the corps does what is being yelled about, when everyone else is trying to listen to the corps.

Sixth, why is it trolling to call out the Scouts when it is acceptable and commonplace to see hundreds of pages bashing the Blue Devils, Cadets, Crown, George Hopkins, etc.? Why is it that some of the same people who accused me of trolling have also been involved in calling out these other corps/individuals (including in threads that have those other corps’ or individuals’ names in the topic description)? As the saying goes, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

Lastly I’ll try to temper my anger the next time and generalize my comments in the future (or, at least if it’s about one of the “sacred” corps and not one of the corps that are “ruining drum corps”).

Thanks and goodbye.

• Like 3

God, I hope they don't think that.

One word: Narration

:ph34r: