Staff behavior concerns...examples/solutions

I only read through about half this thread and couldnt take it any longer. What in the world has happened to Drum Corps fans??? Drum Corps was an activity where parents and staff encouraged their corps from the stands. There use to be standing ovations in the middle of shows and staff on the side lines going NUTS yes I said NUTS! Audiences today for the most part are LAME! And expecting your staff to sit on their hands and not encourage their corps is just STUPID! This activity needs more excitement and response from the stands both in patrons and Staff! That was and should be Drum Corps. It even use to have an impact on General effect scores.So any suggestion that patrons and staff should act like they're in a concert hall should be thrown out the window!

Audiences that pay money to go to shows and decide to stand and cheer as loud as they want: Good.

Staff that want to run up the stairs of stands, squeeze in beside you for the one Corps, then yell and scream during the whole performance so you can barely hear the Corps performance, then run down the stairs of the stands and out of sight : bad.

In my opinion, staff can come and watch their Corps, take notes and make silent observatiions and stuff... no problem. But, they should pretty much learn to... STFU when around audiences ! Thats my 2 cents worth on this anyway.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I just read through the other thread, and I appreciate Chris' response about their staff. I was the one who wrote the review, and to be completely honest, I was surprised, because I have read on here that the Madison Scouts are an extremely classy organization. Also, I have no problem with corps staff getting excited in the middle of their corps' show, I tend to get excited and cheer during the show.

Completely agree: props to Chris for (constantly) addressing fans' concerns on DCP. In my experience the majority of DCI directors take staff behavior/corps representation VERY seriously and will do everything they can to immediately address & rectify the issue.

BTW, for anyone @ the Bristol, RI show, I was a big dude with a curly red beard, wearing a baby blue t-shirt and blue gym shorts, I was around the 25 yard line on side 2, and I would shout the YOU extremely emphatically with the announcer

Holy cow, they still do that stuff?!?! I know I haven't been aged-out too long (13 years. That's not a long time, and I'll fight anyone that implies otherwise :tongue: ), but it kinda brings a goofy grin on my face to hear that the announcer stills does that at Bristol. I marched in that show (and parade) both years I did drum corps, and it was always one of my favorite shows.

To be fair, there HAVE been several comments about people reacting at all. Not just the theatrics and hysterics.

Fair enough (to be really honest I haven't read every page either, and tended to skip over the more overly critical comments along those lines).

Audiences that pay money to go to shows and decide to stand and cheer as loud as they want: Good.

Staff that want to run up the stairs of stands, squeeze in beside you for the one Corps, then yell and scream during the whole performance so you can barely hear the Corps performance, then run down the stairs of the stands and out of sight : bad.

I'm not saying this does not happen, because I know it does, but I think this is sensationalizing. I promise, I have never done this, and no one I work with has ever done it. Even though the visual staff goes up high to see what's going on, I know they are respectful. Do you see this happen quite often? If so, are they the same groups?

Edited by mahler444

I haven't checked the whole thread yet, but "the Water Break" by the Crossmen's color guard staff in 2002.

It cemented most of them being fired the next year. That was not a fun bus ride that day.

I'm not saying this does not happen, because I know it does, but I think this is sensationalizing. I promise, I have never done this, and no one I work with has ever done it. Even though the visual staff goes up high to see what's going on, I know they are respectful. Do you see this happen quite often? If so, are they the same groups?

TOTALLY agree. Like many other issues around here, it's easy to look at the few examples of 'wrong' and be quick to pain a broad brush of nearly everything being wrong

I haven't checked the whole thread yet, but "the Water Break" by the Crossmen's color guard staff in 2002.

It cemented most of them being fired the next year. That was not a fun bus ride that day.

I'm not familiar with this story, but it sounds juicy.

Holy cow, they still do that stuff?!?! I know I haven't been aged-out too long (13 years. That's not a long time, and I'll fight anyone that implies otherwise :tongue: ), but it kinda brings a goofy grin on my face to hear that the announcer stills does that at Bristol. I marched in that show (and parade) both years I did drum corps, and it was always one of my favorite shows.

It's stuff like this that makes shows memorable. There for awhile, I could remember every show field I ever marched on. That has started to fade, but several stand out in my mind and will never be forgotten. The stadium in Mankato where you're right on top of the field, Whitewater being such a pristine place for drum corps, the old Mile High and their incredibly manicured field, first field turf I ever marched on in Rome, NY, etc.

But I digress. :tongue:

Care to elaborate or no?