Staff behavior concerns...examples/solutions

Is this a problem. Yes. Corps staff should know better than to act in a way that reflect poorly on their organization. That's almost definitely an ideal that was expressed to them at some point when they were marching.

However, there isn't a great way for corps to police it. The admin of the corps can't be everywhere at once. Again, the best way to handle it (and it seems that it is being handled that way) is to get in touch with the corps, or (god forbid), say something to the staff member creating the problem. I know that every organization I've ever worked with in a teaching capacity has just kind of had an understanding that acting like an idiot in the stands wasn't really the way to conduct yourself. When I was a young staff member, I did what most young guys do, and modeled my behavior from what the older staff members did. They didn't really have to say anything. It never even occurred to me to act any differently. Perhaps there's a disconnect in that regard these days. Do I quietly make notes to myself during my groups' performances? Sure. Do I cheer (within reason) when something that we've struggled with goes well? Absolutely. But I do understand that the performance is more important than what I think of the performance. That's no different from the way I conduct myself as a fan when I'm not on the clock.

• Like 1

Is this a problem. Yes. Corps staff should know better than to act in a way that reflect poorly on their organization. That's almost definitely an ideal that was expressed to them at some point when they were marching.

However, there isn't a great way for corps to police it. The admin of the corps can't be everywhere at once. Again, the best way to handle it (and it seems that it is being handled that way) is to get in touch with the corps, or (god forbid), say something to the staff member creating the problem. I know that every organization I've ever worked with in a teaching capacity has just kind of had an understanding that acting like an idiot in the stands wasn't really the way to conduct yourself. When I was a young staff member, I did what most young guys do, and modeled my behavior from what the older staff members did. They didn't really have to say anything. It never even occurred to me to act any differently. Perhaps there's a disconnect in that regard these days. Do I quietly make notes to myself during my groups' performances? Sure. Do I cheer (within reason) when something that we've struggled with goes well? Absolutely. But I do understand that the performance is more important than what I think of the performance. That's no different from the way I conduct myself as a fan when I'm not on the clock.

Exactly. Very well said.

First, thanks for starting this thread so that a broader and less personalized discussion on the topic can be had.

Second, I did email the Scouts about my complaint and was happy to see such a thoughtful and concerned reply from their director on DCP.

Third, I do have to work in order to afford going to shows so I did not contribute to the other discussion because I was at work and did not get home until that thread was already closed.

Fourth, the individual I mentioned in the other thread was not a member of the audience but did have a show ID around his neck, sat in the aisle/stands for only the Scouts performance, and knew (as evidenced by the comments he screamed) every move that the guard was about to make before they made it. Might have been a volunteer but it was someone clearly connected with and extremely knowledgeable of the Scouts show.

Fifth, I’m all for fans, volunteers, instructors, designers, etc. yelling and going crazy for their corps in recognition of something that corps just did (past tense) on the field. I find it rude and inappropriate to yell remarks in the middle of a musical statement, before the corps does what is being yelled about, when everyone else is trying to listen to the corps.

Sixth, why is it trolling to call out the Scouts when it is acceptable and commonplace to see hundreds of pages bashing the Blue Devils, Cadets, Crown, George Hopkins, etc.? Why is it that some of the same people who accused me of trolling have also been involved in calling out these other corps/individuals (including in threads that have those other corps’ or individuals’ names in the topic description)? As the saying goes, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

Lastly I’ll try to temper my anger the next time and generalize my comments in the future (or, at least if it’s about one of the “sacred” corps and not one of the corps that are “ruining drum corps”).

Thanks and goodbye.

Well, you started off just fine, but went a little sour there at the end. Nobody is above criticism, including the Scouts. I just don't see it as productive to use DCP as the "middle man" in specific instances such as these. Much better served to just fire off an e-mail and see what happens. We saw that last week when someone started a thread slamming the Scouts because their girlfriend wasn't "thanked" for doing something to help them out. Turns out, it was a simple oversight. Just doesn't seem productive to do something like that when a much simpler solution is available.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

And one more broad comment-

Why do we always have to pi** and moan about every little thing? Can't people just be content that they going to a drum corps show?

No, because those of us raised on the tic system were taught to pick apart every single detail Our instructors would pi** and moan about the length of our shoelaces and other extreme minor details so much so that you didn't dare fart on the field in fear of someone noticing. :rolleyes:

Yet now we have corgasems in the stands when we didn't even have PSA's.

NOW, bring back inspections and retreats so that we have no more of this modern foolishness :shutup:

And one more broad comment-

Why do we always have to pi** and moan about every little thing? Can't people just be content that they going to a drum corps show?

It gives people a false sense of knowledge and superiority to do this. They also need to get out more. And exercise.

• Like 2

It gives people a false sense of knowledge and superiority to do this. They also need to get out more. And exercise.

After you...... :cool:

Fans should definitely not have a say in what a corps is choosing to do creatively. That is silly.

You really believe that statement? You know, there's a reason for the euphemism "starving artist." You can make all the art you want, but if nobody's buying it, chances are that YOU are the problem, not the customers. Bands are signed to labels for one reason and one reason only...to sell records. They don't sell, they get dropped. If you aren't producing something your customer wants, they don't buy it. So to take such a high-and-mighty (or better yet, condescending) stance is ridiculously misguided and it's bad business sense too.

• Like 1

You really believe that statement? You know, there's a reason for the euphemism "starving artist." You can make all the art you want, but if nobody's buying it, chances are that YOU are the problem, not the customers. Bands are signed to labels for one reason and one reason only...to sell records. They don't sell, they get dropped. If you aren't producing something your customer wants, they don't buy it. So to take such a high-and-mighty (or better yet, condescending) stance is ridiculously misguided and it's bad business sense too.

It's an overstatement to say NOBODY is buying drum corps, just less than usual. Those reasons are not all creative based, either. And no, fans should not have a say in what a corps is choosing to do creatively. That doesn't mean totally exclude them in the programming process, just not make this like some "American Idol" creative sham.

I think you are reading into some grand, over-the-top "I hate performing for other people" intention in my statement which isn't there. I said fans shouldn't determine what a corps is doing, not that they aren't thought of in the programming.

Edited by WOOHOO