Would you consider Drum Corps to be a sport?

a lot of people marching in dci are in better shape than a lot of "athletes." i'm thinking about the defensive bulldozers/man hybrids in the nfl who run 10 feet, and then have to go to the oxygen mask. or some golfers. or some baseball players.

Most DCI marchers are mentally tough too. Although if we are candid about it, a few.. ( said " a few " here ) could use a stronger spine when it comes to criticisms of them in competition. College athletes, DCI marcher peers between the ages of 17-22, are subjected to all sorts of profanities, boos, intimidations, catcalls, ridicule, and so forth. Most college athletes laugh it off, or use it as motivation to stick it to the naysayers. Just sayin'.. Most DCI Marchers do in fact chuckle at it... and that is a GREAT lesson for them in my opinion that they can not be stopped by anyone or anything said about them in their goal or quest.

Edited by BRASSO

I think a sport is something where you learn skills and have to choose which one to use and the actions of the other teams impact your next course of action. Learning drill is not like learning plays. No one else on the field is intentionally trying to make me change my course. That is sort of the sum of all field sports: Get Guy With Ball/Puck/Whatever. We all marched with some knuckle heads that may have unintentionally made you change course.

High jump? Bobsled? Golf?

I think people are looking at the nature of sport in the wrong way. Sport is a state of being from which activities (drum corps, basketball, hot dog eating, etc.) can inter into and exit from at the discretion of the practitioner. For me, drum corps was never really a sport, it was just something I did for fun, but I certainly know people for whom it very much was a sport. So, is drum corps a sport? For some people, yes, and for others, no. It doesn't really matter what it is as long as you enjoy it.

What is comical, is that most of these "passionate" drum corps Homers (I guarantee) most of them have never really played truly competitive sports on a level beyond little league (where mom checked their underwear after every game and they got a fruit roll up). I played competitive college sports (hockey and track) and I can tell you almost all the athletes were highly intelligent, more fit and cut than any band/corps geek. PLEASE.... comparing a hockey player or football player to a band/corps geek?!

Don't misunderstand, my comments don't mean I hate drum corps or think one is better. We're talking "apples and oranges" and you can't compare the two. End of story.

• Like 1

It's only a sport when the beach balls show up :ph34r:

What is comical, is that most of these "passionate" drum corps Homers (I guarantee) most of them have never really played truly competitive sports on a level beyond little league (where mom checked their underwear after every game and they got a fruit roll up). I played competitive college sports (hockey and track) and I can tell you almost all the athletes were highly intelligent, more fit and cut than any band/corps geek. PLEASE.... comparing a hockey player or football player to a band/corps geek?!

Don't misunderstand, my comments don't mean I hate drum corps or think one is better. We're talking "apples and oranges" and you can't compare the two. End of story.

You also marched when drum corps was way easier.

End of story.

I disagree, most of the band/ corps geeks I know also are involved in sports. Including football, baseball, track, cross country, wrestling just to list a few.

When I marched a lot of the kids were jocks, and that was quite awhile ago.

even a passionate drum corps/band geek/homer or whatever negative term you throw out there can tell that most dci marchers are fitter than a lot of marquee baseball players like CC Sabathia or Bartolo Colon:

sabathia-29.jpg

image.JPG

or hundreds of NFL players who are basically human bulldozers and have to go to an oxygen mask after running 100m, like tony siragusa and others:

tony_siragusa_a.jpg

C_6_6cBig1__0129.jpg

nfl-balloon-lineman.jpg

i think you'll find that most people on here were very specific when making comparisons. a lot of pro athletes are in phenomenal shape, but many are not. i don't even think dci is a sport, but there's truth to what people are saying in here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2313476

Drum corps is not a sport!

Unless you can have a sport in which every participant is a winner.