Understanding a show

So there are some shows whose themes are pretty solid and apparent. Then there are some shows that are hard to understand.

I'd like to keep this topic in the realm of the purely subjective.

Cavaliers - took me a few shows to come up with what this show means to me - a boy wandering around "where the Wild Things are". Anyone else come up with something different?

Cadets' show is pretty apparent, Angels vs. Demons...

Blue Devils, still have no idea what it's about.

Same with Bluecoats, although I was led to believe by their theme title, that it was to be about the Orwellian book. I really see no evidence of this in their show.

Regiment, pretty obvious, it's about Juliet from the Shakespeare story.

Vanguard, it's about trying to escape hell.

And I think if they really wanted to up the ante, and add more to their show, they could add in moans and screams of hopelessness and agony...would certainly fit the theme...

Blue Stars, it's about Jason Bourne trying to escape from the CIA.

Scouts, it's about businessmen in NYC.

Crown, a 1980's rave.

In any case, I'm trying to get to the shows that don't have a solid, concrete theme - Blue Devils, Cavs and Bluecoats certainly have this going on. Their shows seem to be open to interpretation.

What do these shows mean to you?

Edited by BoyWonder1911

XtraordinarY is about a baffling, bewildering trip through a (Mad?) World turned inside out and, dare I say, "upside down". The boy's elevation in the climax represents not his understanding of this Cirque, but rather his acceptance of and immersion into it.

I believe The Cavaliers don't want the audience to "think" about this show, just sit back, enjoy and "feel" it. It's a total in your face & gut Drum Corps extravaganza that only later explodes in your head. Visceral, not intellectual, it's a "very strange, enchanted" show.

• Like 1

The Bluecoats director or designer (don't recall who it was--I believe this was on the DCI podcast during the pre-season) explained their show not in terms of the Huxley book at all, but in terms of the idea that many times in your life--starting a new job, starting college, starting drum corps camp, things totally change in your life and you ask yourself, "what the hell am I doing here" and you look around and have to figure it out. I don't really see that in the show, but I'm not bothered by the lack of it.

Personally, I usually pay no attention to whatever "story" or "theme" is being conveyed. In fact, a story-free and theme-free show is totally fine with me. Then I can just focus on the pretty shapes and sounds. Sure, sometimes knowing the theme can help understand what's going on out there (like in SCV's show this year with the panicked horn players running/fighting with the guard), but I think if the theme or story drives the show too much it can end up taking away from the effectiveness of the rest of the show elements, in my opinion.

Sometimes a "theme" or description can really get in the way of my enjoyment - other times it's just part of the rich tapestry of what's going on in the performance. Sometimes I wish I hadn't known the theme of a show so I could stop wondering how it related to the field show.

I understand a show by how much I am taken on a roller coaster ride of emotions and reactions. Am I drawn in? Am I pushed to a point of anxiety or excitement? Am I given a moment of "ahhhhh.... nice..."? Do I get to feel the rush of an impact? Is that impact sudden or slow to arrive, and was that an effective way to present it? Are there some interesting surprises along the way? Most of all, am I supposed to be entertained, or educated, or both?

And to be clear, there's no right or wrong answer to that last question - unless I leave a show confused and frustrated. (unless that's clearly the goal, and I hope that's NOT the goal!!!) And if I leave a show confused and/or frustrated, I'll give it lots of second chances just because I figure I've got to be missing something. Sometimes I am, sometimes I just don't find a personal connection. And that's the beauty of variety.

For me understanding the theme of a show is like the icing on the cake. I listen to drum corps more than I watch it, so the theme, which is usually visually driven, isn't apparent. But when I do watch the shows I have listened to multiple times and I get the theme it makes it that much better.

One example of this I Crown 09. I had listen to it multiple time before I got the DVDs, so I already liked the music and adding the visual and understanding the theme made it even more enjoyable.

So for me understanding a theme doesn't determine if I like a show or not, but it does add an extra layer!

• Like 1

There is no such thing as "understanding a show". Even if the design staff sits down and talks to you one on one, about what they had in mind with the show... it is art. There is no true understanding of it. The show is the culmination of the imaginations and creativity of numerous minds. That makes a comprehensive understanding of it almost impossible. We can not perceive simultaneous emotion from numerous stances of understanding and experience.

These shows have 3+ painters--- painted not by their hands, but the hands of 150 persons not even associated with the design. All have their own understanding and influence on the show.

When you think you understand a work of art, chances are you don't. More so, you can't take even the most obvious art literally. When you do, you are robbing yourself of the intent of art. Personal meaning, incomprehensible to others, even the painters themselves.

:ph34r:

• Like 3

^ this is why I asked what these 2011 shows mean to YOU, on a personal level.

I'm not asking for objective understanding, I'm asking how YOU perceive the programs.

I just listen to the drums and the horns, enjoy the drill, and occasionally watch the guard dance or whatever.

• Like 4

I'm asking how YOU perceive the programs.

Wouldn't communicating this into words just be another means of interpretation of my interpretation?

Not playing difficult. Honestly, I'm just saying that it is all so subjective, that even referring my impressions to you is just another means of you interpreting what I'm saying and not fully conveying my true artistic impression of the show.

General "reading this and realizing I sound like that annoying guy at an Art Gallery"

This is an excellent thread question. My personal enjoyment of a Corps show tends to be related to my understanding of the theme messaging the Show Designer wants to convey to me. While I sometimes enjoy shows where I don't know what the hell the show is all about, this tends to be the exception rather than the rule for me.

Here is a conversation I once had with a friend after we both watched a show:

Me : " That was a well performed show. But I was totally confused and conflicted by the message".

Friend : " Me too. But I read where the intent of the Show Designer was to leave us totally confused "

Me : " Brilliant ". He succeeded ".

Friend : " Better yet, the judges are probably totally confused as well "

Me : " Sounds like a winner to me ".

Edited by BRASSO