Best Closer Ever?

I'm not sure where this going to end up, but I feel the need to post it anyway...

The old lady and I drove up from Chicago to Minneapolis on Friday. I'm a die-hard BD alum, and she's a hardcore "Phan," who'd never heard of drum corps until she met me a couple of years ago. She was first exposed to her beloved Regiment in a theater when they won with "Spartacus," but was denied seeing them for the first time live last July when Minneapolis was rained out. She was also denied the chance to see my sacred Blue Devils that year, but that really isn't important here.

What is important was that we finally made it up there for the second year, and mutually decided to make the short drive up to Osseo HS to check out the Scouts, based largely upon my recommendation of a piece of music we'd only heard on another site.

We got there midway during a run-through, and rushed up into the stands just in time to see and hear them do their closer.

Moments later, yours truly was crying like a baby. I was sobbing uncontrollably. Really, it was ridiculous. You'd think I was watching Titanic for the first time when Rose says goodbye to Jack and lets him sink, or was saying goodbye to the puppy my family had when I was a kid that had become ill and needed to be put down, or when Scout finally meets Boo Radley in Jem's bedroom and Atticus says "Miss Jean Louise Finch, may I introduce Mr. Arthur Radley." It was almost 100 degrees, and I was weeping like a child, and loving every tear.

It was gorgeous. It was moving. It was Ice Castles or Brian's Song, with a far more evolved horn line.

It was enough to make my Blue Devil-tattooed keister go to Madison's souvie trailer and drop almost $100.

It may not be the best closer ever fielded, but it was the first one to move me to tears in almost 30 years (the last one being Ice Castles, which should tell us something).

Make of that what you will.

You are not alone in this dude. I find the overall emotion of the closer to be as powerful as any I've seen ever in my 40 some years of drum corps. I find it interesting that many are critical of the visual aspect of the piece. "The drill offers nothing", "visually there is a lack of impact", (duh...the guard is carrying drums), is what I have read on these forums. Hopefully, they will add even more musical impact to the very end, it seems to have been set up to do so. I hope the Scouts stay true to their vision on this piece, and do not feel the need to add frantic drill to it to "get the visual score". They will shake the stands down with crowd approval just as it is!

• Like 3

My biggest gripe about DCP is that we don't know how to argue. To me, drum corps is a sport. It might not technically be a sport, but I certainly treat it that way, and so many other people do. And in a sport there are statistics but still plenty of opinions out there. However, it seems like all arguments go the equivalent of:

"Shaq was the greatest center of all time!"

"No way. Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell were better."

"LeBron James isn't even in the top 50! George Mikan was the best!"

"Do you hate all black people or something?"

"You're too young to know what a good basketball player is."

I think if some people actually explained their reasoning occasionally, we would all get along better.

To stick to the topic, I really do think Madison's closer this year is something special. I've been lucky enough to see it twice now and both times I've been moved. Having only been going to shows since 2003, I've definitely never seen a closer bring an audience to its feet like Madison with the exception of maybe Phantom 08 but I think Madison trumps it emotionally. Sure it doesn't have the technically wow'ing drill of say Star 91 and I'm a huge fan of Madison's '98 closer, Remembrance, but I can't say enough about the feeling I got when Madison finished and both my mom to my right and the guy I had just met to my left both had tears in their eyes and I felt glad to have shared the experience with both of them. I've dragged my mom to lots of shows but I don't think she had ever been more glad to have gone.

Finally, because I'm a huge Alicia Keys Fan, there's an awesome video on that site of Alicia Keys with Arturo Sandoval that's amazing.

. . . but I can't say enough about the feeling I got when Madison finished and both my mom to my right and the guy I had just met to my left both had tears in their eyes and I felt glad to have shared the experience with both of them.

This.

No!!! It is not. It is not even Madison's best. Although the Scouts do indeed own the title of best closer ever. It was "Through the Eyes of Love" in 1980. I was there and thought the ovation might go on forever. Chills!

• Like 1

(Before any Scouts homers jump down your throat...)

You and I appear to be in the minority. Nothing wrong with that, though.

Blasphemy! tongue.gif

No!!! It is not. It is not even Madison's best. Although the Scouts do indeed own the title of best closer ever. It was "Through the Eyes of Love" in 1980. I was there and thought the ovation might go on forever. Chills!

I would agree with the 1980 closer as being among Madison's best....especially when Dan V. signals

the Mellos/French Horns and they belt out that 9th note that just cuts through everything!

As I said before though, I have trouble assigning best ever to any particular closer. I certainly

have my favorites, but even they change with my mood. Lol.

So, for now, I would say that Empire State Of Mind makes my current top 10 favorite Madison closers along with

1995 Malaga, 1988 Malaguena, 1980/82 Ice Castles, 1984 Memory from Cats, 1986 Starlight Express,

1975 The Way We Were, 1999 JCSS, and 1997 Pirates of Lake Mendota.

My biggest gripe about DCP is that we don't know how to argue.

Yes, we do.

• Like 1