Thunderous Goo: A History

I am trying to piece together the origins of a now characteristic sound of the DCI drum corps show: thunderous goo.

I'm interested in the hearing the full success story of this synthetic bass sound as the latest addition to drum corps instrumentation. First of all, what instrument is it "supposed" to sound like, and which patch is employed on the synth? Of course, it may be trying to be its own unique drum corps sound, as I've never heard it played by any other type of musical ensemble, popular or classical.

And out of genuine curiosity I ask: what purpose is it trying to achieve? In what way is it supposed to enhance the sound of the hornline? Why is there no corresponding "high-end synth" to this "low-end synth"?

Finally, why the ubiquity? Why its obvious presence? It seems in 2009 each musical arranger independently "knew" that it must be included. Perhaps it is a mainstay in the scholastic marching band world? If so, what are its origins/purpose there?

• Like 4

Oh boy!!! Sets up a keg and grabs some popcorn and a lawn chair to watch the fireworks. It's July 4th again! Anyone one to join me? There's plenty for all!

• Like 4

In regards to marching band, the use I've seen most of the time is to fill out the bottom end of the sound . . .most high school bands (this is referring to an average high school program, not a large size BOA group) have a small or weak low brass section, and it helps cover up those deficiencies.

I suppose the DCI rationale is to try to make corps sound "rounder" and fuller at impact points and to try to cover the real (or imagined) deficiencies mentioned above.

Horn lines, especially those of World Class DCI corps, that have 80+ brass . . .and sometimes with 18-20 tubas, don't really need it, IMO.

I always assumed it must be heavily used in marching band, and that's why 100% of DCI adopted it as soon as it was legal. But I don't really know.

I'd love to say it's a fad, but all the evidence suggests that both music arrangers and judges aesthetically enjoy having the low synth overpower the low brass & percussion voices on every big hit (and generally seem to enjoy having the pit much louder than I would choose). Corps have the tools to turn down the thunderous goo, they choose to keep it as-is.

I always assumed it must be heavily used in marching band, and that's why 100% of DCI adopted it as soon as it was legal. But I don't really know.

I'd love to say it's a fad, but all the evidence suggests that both music arrangers and judges aesthetically enjoy having the low synth overpower the low brass & percussion voices on every big hit (and generally seem to enjoy having the pit much louder than I would choose). Corps have the tools to turn down the thunderous goo, they choose to keep it as-is.

And they most likely will continue to do so, until the current judging system addresses the electronic components of the show.

• Like 2

Finally, why the ubiquity? Why its obvious presence? It seems in 2009 each musical arranger independently "knew" that it must be included.

This is the most interesting question. I've always assumed that some corps did it and other corps heard it and added it to their arrangements right away not wanting to sound wrong. But I also assume the lower tonal balance sounds more correct to people who listen to a lot of overproduced recordings on high quality gear, and so it was just a natural thing to latch onto when synths came along.

Yes.... it is used heavily by many marching bands... especially competitive ones like at BOA. My rational on why drum corps have begun using it is because the staffs of nearly all the drum corps are also on staff at many of the top marching bands...... and that's just what they do. Somebody somewhere decided that an acoustic outdoor activity needed to be balanced like pop music you hear on a recording (with bass being the most prominent part). I don't now why they thought this. There is no correlation to any art music (classical, jazz), or even most rock n' roll. In these genres of music, which drum corps probably 90% on the time is trying to emulate, there is a more even balance across the ranges, if not more middles and highs.

I'm really at a loss as to why any of these people actually think this sounds good.

• Like 4

I am trying to piece together the origins of a now characteristic sound of the DCI drum corps show: thunderous goo.

I'm interested in the hearing the full success story of this synthetic bass sound as the latest addition to drum corps instrumentation. First of all, what instrument is it "supposed" to sound like, and which patch is employed on the synth? Of course, it may be trying to be its own unique drum corps sound, as I've never heard it played by any other type of musical ensemble, popular or classical.

And out of genuine curiosity I ask: what purpose is it trying to achieve? In what way is it supposed to enhance the sound of the hornline? Why is there no corresponding "high-end synth" to this "low-end synth"?

Finally, why the ubiquity? Why its obvious presence? It seems in 2009 each musical arranger independently "knew" that it must be included. Perhaps it is a mainstay in the scholastic marching band world? If so, what are its origins/purpose there?

Fine... I'll play along!

Hey. You knew someone was going to do it. Might as well get it out of the way early, yeah?

:cool:

Edited by skajerk

Yes.... it is used heavily by many marching bands... especially competitive ones like at BOA.

Gotcha. I suspected as such, but was unsure as I'm not interested in those types of ensembles, and I don't know much about their instrumentation trends.

Somebody somewhere decided that an acoustic outdoor activity needed to be balanced like pop music you hear on a recording (with bass being the most prominent part).

The "popular" music I listen to (not "pop") hardly emphasizes the low end, but I love the presence that the electric bass guitar provides there. (One of my favorite instruments, though in no way would I suggest it as an alternative to the goo. :shutup: ) Perhaps in some genres I'm not interested in (as in, the music I hear out my window), the bass is much more heavily emphasized. I presume this is why people "trick out" their cars' sound system with high-end subwoofers. Why drum corps would aim to sound like hip-hop, I have no idea.

• Like 3