Thunderous Goo: A History

Two reasons:

(1) Drugs and alcohol.

(2) In the movie Star Trek IV, "reborn" Spock determines that the probe destroying Earth is really just trying to communicate with whales. To illustrate his theory, he channels the probes' sounds through the Enterprise's speakers and adds an audio filter simulating the density of water-- presto, the probe sounds just like a whale, and Kirk & Company set off for Humpback Whale Depot.

Applying this metaphorically to the current use of T-Goo, the gluteus maximus muscles are the audio filter, and the staff's ears are planted firmly between them-- presto, it sounds "normal".

That's 3 reasons.

Thunderous Goo is a good name for it. I keep having to adjust the equalizer on my computer every time a different corps comes on on the Fan Network. That makes me sad.

Well, there they're the show...

They're part of the percussion ensemble. So, yea, there's that.

well, WGI is also in a smaller space. that helps, and as of this past year, sound was still run from inside the pit, tho that may changethis coming year

well, if marching bands do it, it must be good

T-Goo ruins a nice back field corner, closing moment…

a big dose of thunderous goo from the speakers upfront and the brass playing softly way over there

Talk about blown balance

Can't believe it's still on the field – even if you love the goo, you have to know that is bad design, thoughtless

two really easy things can fix it.

the people with their hands on the controls dial it down or the judges lay the smackdown when used abusively.

I am trying to piece together the origins of a now characteristic sound of the DCI drum corps show: thunderous goo.

I'm interested in the hearing the full success story of this synthetic bass sound as the latest addition to drum corps instrumentation. First of all, what instrument is it "supposed" to sound like, and which patch is employed on the synth? Of course, it may be trying to be its own unique drum corps sound, as I've never heard it played by any other type of musical ensemble, popular or classical.

And out of genuine curiosity I ask: what purpose is it trying to achieve? In what way is it supposed to enhance the sound of the hornline? Why is there no corresponding "high-end synth" to this "low-end synth"?

Finally, why the ubiquity? Why its obvious presence? It seems in 2009 each musical arranger independently "knew" that it must be included. Perhaps it is a mainstay in the scholastic marching band world? If so, what are its origins/purpose there?

Here's a good question.....does anyone outside of the judges and staff like the thunderous goo sound ?

I'll start....I don't like it...