Dumb Question from an Old Fart

If Boston Crusaders was changed to more clearly show they are not just Boston Kids, then Boston Area Crusaders probably no longer is correct either. I bet they are international in marching members.

Maybe IBC; no that would make them root beer.

They need a new name!

Yes, because apparently any corps with a city or regional name only has members from that area in it :doh:

• Like 1

We used to do the explorer scout membership back in the 80s. I believe it had something to do with dthe insurance aspect.

Boston Area Crusaders.

Bad A** Crusaders I guess would have worked when they would scrap with other corps in the parking lot way back when..

The Clearwater Crusaders seems to fit better these days :tongue:

The Boston Crusaders does not raise funds to run its corps from Clearwater, Florida. If it secured its primary fundraising funds to run it's Corps from Clearwater, Fl. that might be appropriate. The Boston Crusaders however organizes and implements it's primary fund raising efforts in the Boston region, and with volunteers organizing the fund raising efforts that come from the Boston area, and with the donations coming from the generosity of donors living predominently in the Boston region. Boston's Corps Director was born and raised in the City of Boston and marched Boston Crusaders. Boston has many of its show design staff teach and live in the Boston region, and it's Board of Directors are predominently from the Boston region as well. Thus, the Corps is appropriately called the " Boston Crusaders ".

Marchers and staff in DCI World Class Corps these days draw marchers and staff from all over the Country, and from all over the world. The Boston Crusaders are no different in this respect, and are delighted one would imagine to have been able to have established great relationships with a few schools in the state of Florida, among other places.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I'm glad you had the guts to ask that because I've been wondering the same thing for years now.

I'll set the record straight..I marched with them...it is definitely...

Boston Area Crusaders

Thank you

• Like 1

The Boston Crusaders does not raise funds to run its corps from Clearwater, Florida. If it secured its primary fundraising funds to run it's Corps from Clearwater, Fl. that might be appropriate. The Boston Crusaders however organizes and implements it's primary fund raising efforts in the Boston region, and with volunteers organizing the fund raising efforts that come from the Boston area, and with the donations coming from the generosity of donors living predominently in the Boston region. Thus, they are appropriately named the " Boston Crusaders".

Where members in Corps come from these days has no bearing on the naming rights on the Corps. That went out the window decades ago as World Class TOP 12 Corps all draw their marchers from all corners of the country as well as all corners of the world now.

I look at clearwater as a spring training area just like any other sports franchise from the northeast. It sure is nice they have an actual facility to train. I'm jealous a bit. Our hornline practiced weekends at the Massachusetts Envelop Company (a.k.a. Mass Envelope) with a bunch of boxes everywhere and then just before tour at the Fargo (government building) parking lot for drill! And it was not fun stopping on sticky TAR in the hot heat!

The Boston Crusaders does not raise funds to run its corps from Clearwater, Florida. If it secured its primary fundraising funds to run it's Corps from Clearwater, Fl. that might be appropriate. The Boston Crusaders however organizes and implements it's primary fund raising efforts in the Boston region, and with volunteers organizing the fund raising efforts that come from the Boston area, and with the donations coming from the generosity of donors living predominently in the Boston region. Boston's Corps Director was born and raised in the City of Boston and marched Boston Crusaders. Boston has many of its show design staff teach and live in the Boston region, and it's Board of Directors are predominently from the Boston region as well. Thus, the Corps is appropriately called the " Boston Crusaders ".

Marchers and staff in DCI World Class Corps these days come from all over the Country, and from all over the world. The Boston Crusaders are no different in this respect.

Then why the need to change it from Boston Crusaders to Boston Area Crusaders -

Marchers and staff in DCI World Class Corps these days draw marchers and staff from all over the Country, and from all over the world. The Boston Crusaders are no different in this respect, and are delighted one would imagine to have been able to have established great relationships with a few schools in the state of Florida, among other places.

its-not-your-fault.jpg

• Like 1

Then why the need to change it from Boston Crusaders to Boston Area Crusaders -

Thats because " BAC" is a nickname. Its not their name. From the early 60's, they were nicknamed " BAC ". But they were the Boston Crusaders. One of their chief national competitors in the 60's was referred to as " SAC ". That wasn't their name however. It was their nickname. Their name was the Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights from Newark, N.J. They're still referred to as " SAC " today, for short.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I'll set the record straight..I marched with them...it is definitely...

Boston Area Crusaders

Thank you

Proudly marched with Boston in the mid 60's when the Bad Assss Crusaders gained the nickname. Any other version is someone putting a PC spin on it.