Dumb Question from an Old Fart

Proudly marched with Boston in the mid 60's when the Bad Assss Crusaders gained the nickname. Any other version is someone putting a PC spin on it.

Correct. It was a different time back then. And thats what " BAC " stood for as their initials in the 60's. "Liahona", a poster on here that marched in the 80's with the Boston Crusaders is likewise correct when she refers to the Boston Crusaders as " BAC " for " Boston Area Crusaders ". The Boston Crusaders were actually called the Most Precious Blood Crusaders in the 40's and 50's ( or "MPBC", their nickname then ) and were from the Hyde Park section of Boston. Mostly marchers came from the Most Precious Blood parish itself. In the 80's, the Boston Crusaders had to legally change their name to simply " Boston " under the court temporary bancruptcy and reorganization requirement. By then, the Corps reach for members had extended beyond Boston to the " Boston Area " and drew members from outside the City. " Craiga " a DCP poster on here, marched Boston and was from Maine, for example.

If posters or fans still want " BAC " initials to be referred as " Bad Asss Crusaders " today...well, thats cool too. I don't think the current corps marchers would mind one bit.

Edited by BRASSO

Correct. It was a different time back then. And thats what " BAC " stood for as their initials in the 60's. "Liahona", a poster on here that marched in the 80's with the Boston Crusaders is likewise correct when she refers to the Boston Crusaders as " BAC " for " Boston Area Crusaders ". The Boston Crusaders were actually called the Most Precious Blood Crusaders in the 40's and 50's ( or "MPBC", their nickname then ) and were from the Hyde Park section of Boston. Mostly marchers came from the Most Precious Blood parish itself. In the 80's, the Boston Crusaders had to legally change their name to simply " Boston " under the court temporary bancruptcy and reorganization requirement.

If posters still want " BAC " initials to be referred as " Bad Asss Crusaders " today...well, thats cool too. I don't think the current corps marchers would mind one bit.

LOL....the she is a he btw BRASSO...guess I'm stuck with that name....LOL

LOL....the she is a he btw BRASSO...guess I'm stuck with that name....LOL

Sorry, Liahona. I thought you were some broad from Hawaii.

( haha... just kiddin', Man )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

They had a lot of kids from Boston's south end, or "southies" as Bostonians call them. Not the kind of dudes you wanted to mess with.

I'm glad you had the guts to ask that because I've been wondering the same thing for years now.

This question come up every year.

Even when "BAC" was created, there were several of us who did not live within Suffolk County. Grew up in the South Shore town that Ed Denon lived in. However one likes to refer to the nickname, for those who defended the corps, for those who felt the wrath of the corps, for those who personally kept the corps solvent, and for the majority of older alumni, it has only one meaning.

ARSE!!!

I said it in English Speak to pay tribute to my BK!!

Quick cursing filter test... I suspect I could call somebody an arse and get away with it but if I called them an ### (a double s) it would get hashed out.

Lesson, if you want to insult somebody use a UK curse.

I think it safe to say that the BAC nickname was quite appropriate for the corps even into the 80's!!

Even when "BAC" was created, there were several of us who did not live within Suffolk County. Grew up in the South Shore town that Ed Denon lived in. However one likes to refer to the nickname, for those who defended the corps, for those who felt the wrath of the corps, for those who personally kept the corps solvent, and for the majority of older alumni, it has only one meaning.

And a lot in the 70's came from Marlboro.

In summer 1969, six of us (myself, my two brothers and three friends) decided to leave St Agnes St Agnes CYO Band because we wanted to get involved with competive drum corps.

In addition to the R.I. Matadors, Holy Family of Rockland, and BAC, Mr. Ed Denon was also the St Agnes musical director, and had given private lessons to most of us. The BAC hornline often practiced in the same school hall after St Agnes finished, so we were around the BAC and KNEW what the BAC reputation was (e.g., 'we don't GAVA'), and we had witnessed some of the "parking lot encounters" referenced in an earlier post. (But that's for another day ....)

My parents assumed that - after the 1969 marching season ended - we'd all just seque to the drum corp our parents heard us refer to as "BAC."

My folks liked and respected "Mister Denon" and the BAC musical style and programming was familiar to them.

As the decision-time approached, my mother asked Mister Denon questions about marching with BAC, and got around to asking what B.A.C. stood for.

He replied "It stands for Boston's Articulate Crusaders, Mrs. Sullivan."

Mom replied, "Oh. good. I was afraid it meant something like Bad-Azz Crusaders."