DCI and Corporate Sponsorship

Next thing you know, we will have the Comerica Phantom Regiment, CitiBank Cavaliers, Goodyear Cadets, Ford Bluecoats, Microsoft Cascades, and Apple Blue Devils, and they will all perform at the "Coca-Cola DCI World Finals, brought to you by Lucas Oil". Oh and forget about INT - that corps will fold. It would then be "The Yamaha Intermission Show" where Yamaha will take the field and peddle their products while people use the restrooms and buy $7 hamburgers.

Gimme a break.

EDIT:

And ya know, I'm for capitalism and all that free market stuff, but not to the point where you sell your soul by plastering corporations and their names on the front of everything, just to make a few bucks.

I don't think anyone is out there advocating to that level. But Nike? Gatorade? Under Armour? Tons of opportunites with products like that you CAN then market to bands in a fashion similar to Pearl, Yamaha etc.

"When The Blue Devils rehearse, they know in order to be comfortable as well as wear gear good for physical activities, they wear Under Armour".

boom, bandkids get mom and dad to go buy them Under Armour...because UA makes warm AND cold weather gear...and band season covers both types of weather.

Lack of common sense? MLB and the minor leagues should be lumped together?

Open Class is the minor leagues. They are simply not performing on anywhere near the same level as top World Class corps... this is simply reaity. I'm all for more minor league corps with regional focus and more A Class corps with a local focus.

If there was a solid model out there to create A Class corps that would do local performances and contests, you could suddenly have a massive number of A Class corps. You could have hundeds of school programs partnering to put out A Class corps that could compete on a local level, could be pretty much bootstrapped, as they would have very few touring requirements.

If you really want to grow smaller corps... a community corps model is the way. Could be something fun for younger kids. Growing these smaller corps, however, should not come at the expense of the World Class. Priority should be placed on supporting the top tier of World Class... and all other corps will benefit as a result.

While I have long said OC could do more to help themselves, MLB does a helluva lot to push their minor leagues that DCI doesn't even dream of coming close to

It is TWO HOURS away from the show site. It's like promoting the Allentown show in Baltimore and expecting people to just happen to show up.

It has nothing to do with promoting the show...

I'm sure the two counties are looking at it as an opportunity to get their name out there to a ton of tourists in a captive environment. The way it works out, it's more or less DCI being paid to promote the two counties. If I'm in the Atlanta area for the weekend, it wouldn't be completely unheard of for me to travel an hour or two in any direction to check out a tourist destination. Direct from their website:

The DCI Atlanta Southeastern Championship is sponsored by Lake Oconee and Greene County Tourism this year with the intention to draw more people to visit our area.

There is one of the three active corps.

Let's hear the next, peanut gallery members.

Had this discussion in the Klassic Korps Names thread yesterday... Only name off the top of my head that's around is Blue Stars used to be First Federal Blue Stars under First Federal Bank. LOL, one year their kick off was "First Federal March".

Drawing blanks on other Jr corps but on the Sr side past corps were Hamms/Schmidts Indians, Ballentine Brewers, Hormel Girls and will think of more after more coffee.....

Edit: In these cases (not sure about FF Blue Stars) the corps were not sponsored by the companies. The companies created and owned the corps equipment. Corps were used for employees benefit and to promote the compamy (back when corps were more in the public eye).

Additional corps: Commonwealth Edison Knights of Light - Chicago (AL Champs twice(?)) and Consolidated Edison NYC.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

That's 2... come on peanut gallery, one more!

Had to look.... only one I can think of provides (provided?) a service more than a physical product....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Had to look.... only one I can think of provides (provided?) a service more than a phyical product....

You are going down the right path... this corps only used this company's name in affiliation with its own for a period of a few months.

The corps now goes by a completely different name than it did then.