DCI and Corporate Sponsorship

Next thing you know, we will have the Comerica Phantom Regiment, CitiBank Cavaliers, Goodyear Cadets, Ford Bluecoats, Microsoft Cascades, and Apple Blue Devils, and they will all perform at the "Coca-Cola DCI World Finals, brought to you by Lucas Oil". Oh and forget about INT - that corps will fold. It would then be "The Yamaha Intermission Show" where Yamaha will take the field and peddle their products while people use the restrooms and buy $7 hamburgers.

Gimme a break.

EDIT:

And ya know, I'm for capitalism and all that free market stuff, but not to the point where you sell your soul by plastering corporations and their names on the front of everything, just to make a few bucks.

We could only dream of that. You talk about that like it would be a bad thing.

I've actually sat down with a couple of the brand managers from brands that you mentioned and pitched the concept to them of support... it was more of a challenge than you think to get them interested. This isn't something a lot of brands would be all that interested in at this stage.. only a few select ones... as the current perception and positioning of the activity is way too geeky.

There needs to be a sort of campaign to shift the perception of the activity. It will probably need to come from the outside and be independent of DCI.

Lack of common sense? MLB and the minor leagues should be lumped together?

Open Class is the minor leagues. They are simply not performing on anywhere near the same level as top World Class corps... this is simply reaity. I'm all for more minor league corps with regional focus and more A Class corps with a local focus.

The major and minor leagues are interconnected more than this lets on. MLB and the NHL understand the reasoning and purpose for the minors and acts accordingly. The minor league teams (at least the ones I know about) are not owned by the major league team but they work closely together. And the majors understand if the minor league is having problems it will hurt the majors in the future. From what I can tell, MLB and the NHL understand this better than DCI might.

Good case in point might be the International Hockey League mergering into the American Hockey League a few years back. Hard for the IHL to go belly up but IHL, AHL and NHL worked it out for the overall good of the sport.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

If you really want to grow smaller corps... a community corps model is the way. Could be something fun for younger kids. Growing these smaller corps, however, should not come at the expense of the World Class.

Quick - tell BD to fold their B and C corps. How dare they use resources on anything other than their world-class program.

Priority should be placed on supporting the top tier of World Class... and all other corps will benefit as a result.

How?

Priority has been on world-class all through DCI's history. It is pretty clear that not all corps have benefitted as a result. As expected, the benefits have gone almost entirely to the world-class corps.

Open-class is now paying for their ride with DCI. I fail to see how it would help them to throw them off the plane without a parachute. And narrowing the focus even further, to just the "top tier" of world-class puts the other world-class corps next in line to disembark, again without a parachute.

• Like 3

We could only dream of that. You talk about that like it would be a bad thing.

I've actually sat down with a couple of the brand managers from brands that you mentioned and pitched the concept to them of support... it was more of a challenge than you think to get them interested. This isn't something a lot of brands would be all that interested in at this stage.. only a few select ones... as the current perception and positioning of the activity is way too geeky.

There needs to be a sort of campaign to shift the perception of the activity. It will probably need to come from the outside and be independent of DCI.

the implication is that shows would have to barely resemble what they have looked like for the past several decades. talent would be the same or better, but just very different in what they do. to be successful on the scale you seem to envision, i doubt it would remain non-profit or amateur.

it could probably work if somebody put the resources and time into it (like you?), but i think it would also turn off a substantial portion of today's fanbase and membership. probably replaceable, but still.

i'd rather not have it happen for selfish reasons...i like what I've seen for the past several decades, and am not interested in some sort of bedazzled up version of marching band, which would make it even more geeky to me.

but maybe this is what will need to happen for DCI to survive.

Quick - tell BD to fold their B and C corps. How dare they use resources on anything other than their world-class program.

BD's B and C corps don't come at the cost of their world class corps and ultimately much of their success can be attributed to them.

BDB should probably be in World Class, based on level of execution, but has different objectives in terms of touring demands... but that is a whole other discussion.

How?

Open Class corps could benefit by being under the same umbrella or as a partner of a World Class corps organization. This could not only reduce some overhead, but provide better access to equipment manufacturers, etc.

There are some Open Class corps out there that have great deals with equipment manufacturers. The ones with the best deals are linked to top World Class corps.

Priority has been on world-class all through DCI's history. It is pretty clear that not all corps have benefitted as a result. As expected, the benefits have gone almost entirely to the world-class corps

Again, by aligning more directly with World Class corps, Open Class corps can benefit in a number of ways, including ways as stated above, as well as recruiting, knowledge sharing, best practices, etc.

Open-class is now paying for their ride with DCI. I fail to see how it would help them to throw them off the plane without a parachute. And narrowing the focus even further, to just the "top tier" of world-class puts the other world-class corps next in line to disembark, again without a parachute.

Maybe Open Class corps could be encouraged to choose a path...

Path A - Independent

Corps has a goal to grow to become a World Class corps. On this path, there are gradual milestones to be met to achieve X, Y and Z in order to move up

Path B - Aligned

Corps does not with to ever become a World Class corps. On this path, corps must, after a period of time, become aligned with an World Class corps... like minor league baseball.

A Class corps in that model would not require any affiliation .

• Like 1

Lack of common sense? MLB and the minor leagues should be lumped together?

Open Class is the minor leagues. They are simply not performing on anywhere near the same level as top World Class corps... this is simply reaity. I'm all for more minor league corps with regional focus and more A Class corps with a local focus.

Just want to point out that we're going to find out how true this is in August. How high do you think BDB is going to place?

the implication is that shows would have to barely resemble what they have looked like for the past several decades. talent would be the same or better, but just very different in what they do. to be successful on the scale you seem to envision, i doubt it would remain non-profit or amateur.

it could probably work if somebody put the resources and time into it (like you?), but i think it would also turn off a substantial portion of today's fanbase and membership. probably replaceable, but still.

i'd rather not have it happen for selfish reasons...i like what I've seen for the past several decades, and am not interested in some sort of bedazzled up version of marching band, which would make it even more geeky to me.

but maybe this is what will need to happen for DCI to survive.

I'm not suggesting that much changes in terms of the actual shows on the field. It is the marketing and promotion... and all the other stuff that happens at an event that can be made a bit more interesting. TOC is a good step.

Not bedazzled bando... very much the exact opposite direction... away from bando.

Does need time and resources... thinking about it.

I'm not suggesting that much changes in terms of the actual shows on the field. It is the marketing and promotion... and all the other stuff that happens at an event that can be made a bit more interesting. TOC is a good step.

Not bedazzled bando... very much the exact opposite direction... away from bando.

Does need time and resources... thinking about it.

if it's moving around playing music on a football field, it's inescapably bando, no matter how much ostentation and spectacle is added. maybe it would become more edible for corporate sponsors and a wider portion of the public, but it would just be a more geeky version of marching band for me. tha'ts all i meant.

i still think to get it to where you seem to envision, it would take more than a different angle on marketing and promotion. the product dci puts out would have to change a lot.

They will definitely place ahead of some World Class corps... how high.. no idea... 18th?

This whole discussion reminds me of BITD when Star, Troopers, and several others prominantly displayed corporate logos and the drum corps fans went ballistic.

Wasn't Troopers sponsor an insurance company?

Beuhler? Beuhler?

Edited by garfield