Our pet peeves

Another pet peeve that comes to the mind of many corps fans is when people call it band, and you find the need to make the distinction.

Wait, which is your peeve? People calling it band, or corps fans who make a point to correct people who call it band? :w00t:

My pet peeve that got triggered last night is people using umbrellas in the stands. I could see over the umbrella of the lady in front of me, but my daughter couldn't. Didn't help that the back of her umbrella spent a lot of time resting against my knees. After I bumped it around a few times (unintentionally, really--I couldn't move my knees at all without banging the thing around), I expected her to scoot up a bit, but she never did. Also, the people two rows behind us gave us a good extra shower when they opened their soaking wet umbrella over our heads. At the Salem, VA show, I'm not sure if it's show policy or stadium policy, but no umbrellas were even allowed into the venue. :thumbup:

• Like 2

Wait, which is your peeve? People calling it band, or corps fans who make a point to correct people who call it band? :w00t:

My pet peeve that got triggered last night is people using umbrellas in the stands. I could see over the umbrella of the lady in front of me, but my daughter couldn't. Didn't help that the back of her umbrella spent a lot of time resting against my knees. After I bumped it around a few times (unintentionally, really--I couldn't move my knees at all without banging the thing around), I expected her to scoot up a bit, but she never did. Also, the people two rows behind us gave us a good extra shower when they opened their soaking wet umbrella over our heads. At the Salem, VA show, I'm not sure if it's show policy or stadium policy, but no umbrellas were even allowed into the venue. :thumbup:

umbrellas should never be allowed, they do nothing but block other paying customers view. and also drip water onto other paying customers. buy a poncho or raincoat and hat.

• Like 2

I had a pet peeve once, but he ran away....

• Like 4

My peeve is when people call it band, but I find it funny that we always come to the "rescue" of drum corps by defending it and finding the need to explain the differences! :smile:

I'm also not fond of 'Coats as an abbreviation for Bluecoats. For heaven's sake, you're saving just three keystrokes. Three keystrokes! That's the "goo" in "thunderous goo."

You are mistaking. You save 4! :tongue:

Other pet peeve: it's parity, not parody

My peeve is when people call it band, but I find it funny that we always come to the "rescue" of drum corps by defending it and finding the need to explain the differences! :smile:

Easiest way to describe the differences:

band=most students doing it because they want to get out of PE requirements, plus a few who really are there because they like it (and a few who do it for both reasons, but it's not their life)

corps=people choosing to doing it because it's bad### - all the rest is like this to a most poeple: "blah blah blah blah blah blahblah drums horns guard blah blah blah" :tongue:

Another pet peeve that comes to the mind of many corps fans is when people call it band, and you find the need to make the distinction.

To 99.5% of the population, it is band.

• Like 4

For instance, someone made a remark about the spelling of drum corps as drum corp.

I have a question for the English/Grammar Police out there. If we are referring to the activity in general, or to many of its groups together, the usage should obviously be: corps. However, if we are only talking about one group, is it correct to say: corp? As in: "Madison blew my socks off last night! That is one loud Corp!

• Like 1