Cadets will win this year

I agree on a personal level. BUT, the non drum corps folks I con into going to see shows or watching shows online---all obsess over the storyline shows.

On that note, my friend in Denver went to Drums Along the Rockies last Saturday. She's never seen a drum corps show, ever. Only heard what I've told her.

She said she didn't even really watch the guard. Said the most interesting thing to her was how well the hornline and drumline played while moving so quickly and meshed together to make each other sound great.

I guess it just differs on a person to person basis.

No - not really. A bit tongue-in-cheek on my part...

And I know folks thought BD should have won. I just disagree completely. To each their own.

Cadets have a good shot of winning this year, at this juncture seems like it will come down to them, BD and Cavaliers.

Ok. Sorry I missed that. Didn't mean to bite your head off. I think its a toss up at this point. All three have great shows. So do some of the outsiders (Crown, Coats). I'd love to see some new blood, but it definitely seems like the proverbial top 3 are a step ahead as far as getting their programming where they want it. Now, I say that having not seen Crown's new ending. Maybe its fabulous. I wasn't in love with what they had at the theater show.

Don't think I'd put BD's visual program on the same level as Cadets or Cavies. They are more a "stage show" and do very little in the way of marching compared to the other two or some of the corps that have "no shot." But, I don't ever count BD out. Do not underestimate Crown this year. Musically, and programing wise, they have a great show and should find themselves in the hunt.

My feelings exactly

On that note, my friend in Denver went to Drums Along the Rockies last Saturday. She's never seen a drum corps show, ever. Only heard what I've told her.

She said she didn't even really watch the guard. Said the most interesting thing to her was how well the hornline and drumline played while moving so quickly and meshed together to make each other sound great.

I guess it just differs on a person to person basis.

Took me 8 years to start watching guard...

• Like 1

I agree on a personal level. BUT, the non drum corps folks I con into going to see shows or watching shows online---all obsess over the storyline shows.

Interesting.

I guess I do like the whole-corps type "stories" such as they are. Not so much stories told by individual guard members. But for example, SCV's brass members trying to get out of hell this year, I enjoy that part of the show quite a bit. It's not a story per se, so much as a montage of vignettes.

Yeah this is definitely what first attracted me to drum corps when I was a teenager, and still what holds my attention at shows today. I often find myself catching just tidbits of great guard moments, although the more I see a particular show the better I am at finding those.

I really appreciate the ability of different people to maintain such good coordination for such an extended amount of time. Maybe it's like this:

Horn players pay more attention to the hornline

Percussionists pay more attention to the drumline/front ensemble

Guard pays more attention to the guard.

As a mellophone player, I personally find myself listening to the mellophones in an ensemble more than anything.

Back on topic... the Cadets have a great show this year, and I definitely see them in the top 3 along the the Cavaliers and probably the Blue Devils. I really think that in the end it'll be close between the Cavaliers and the Cadets.

• Like 1

Man how quickly we all forget.

If 2008 has taught us anything is that ANYTHING can happen. I want Cadets to win as much as the next biggest fan, but we should not sleep on BD, DEFINITELY not Cavies, and Crown. They all have shows that can win, and I'm sure Cadets are gonna work just as hard as the other three to win the title, but we should NEVER discount any of these corps from winning a championship.

• Like 3

Maybe I'm too easily distracted or my vision is too poor, but I've never been able to follow the "story" in a drum corps show. If I'm sitting up high, I can't make out the individual performers well enough. If I'm sitting down low, I can't take in enough of the field to catch the "important" parts of the story. Sure, I can follow the story when the multi-cam video does a good job of following it for me, but that doesn't match the experience of watching the show live.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just throwing in my perspective. I'd rather not feel like I'm missing something if I can't make out the mimed story in the guard, honestly, but at live shows I'm certainly not following any storylines even if I wanted to, and so I guess that makes me skeptical of how much this draws people in to the activity.

I guess that I'm pretty much in the same boat. I don't mind when corps theme their shows, but I don't really pay all that much attention to that part of it.