Music on the Border - WI

No. I meant to that particular post. The incredulous tone and the TOC reference...

Oh, okay. Never sure when it comes to some people on here if they are being serious or not.

So.....um...... yeah. SCV took Percussion by a long shot, took GE, and took visual. Guess their show isn't as boring as people are saying. Good to see how much improvement this corps has made since the start of the season. Can't wait to see it Saturday, then watch the rest of the videos leading up to Indy. This show is going to be a monster by the end. :thumbup:

• Like 3

The Racine Scouts DID seem to end early.

I thought they had at least a couple more minutes to their show the last time I saw them.

Technically the next corps, Legends, has to wait until their assigned time to enter the field.

A similar thing happened at a show I went to earlier this season then the Blue Saints were a no show, the next corps has to wait for their assigned time.

BUT, if you watched the corps line up at the far south side of the field (the corps had to walk completely around the south side of the field to reach their entrance gate) you could see that the horns were ready, the guard came a minute or two later - then nothing. Even Pioneer's guard showed up before Legends' drums and the drum majors.

Seeing there was nothing going on on the field, it was pretty obvious when the DMs were sprinting up to the gate at a fast walk, did not have their headgear on and stopped to put gloves on.

THEN the drums came up at a pretty brisk pace.

I was sitting next to the bus drivers for Legends, so I know it wasn't an arrival problem.

The lady bus drivers moved down to the lower section so I didn't have a chance to talk to them to see if something had happened.

....but they were 5 or more minutes late on their start time, along with Racine Scouts ending what seemed early - there was a long gap between the first 2 programs!

I didn't catch the Legends’ DM/Battery rushing to the gate drama unfolding, but you know how things get when you're engaged in drum corps gab with friends at a show. It’s pretty easy to miss things going on around you.

Anyway, the recaps don't show any penalty for Legends, and a delay in excess of 5-minutes should certainly draw some kind of penalty. I personally didn't see any of the contest officials getting excited or showing any level of concern for getting Legends on the field after the Racine Scouts left. I only made the original comment because it seemed as though our discussion was leaning toward the Legends being assigned blame for the show running late, and that was simply not my read on the situation at all.

All in all, it was a great contest, though I think the decision to start a show at 7:30pm (CT) on a weeknight with eight corps in the lineup is baffling. Though I’m sure they had a reason for it. I was also stunned to hear that the INT was 30 minutes! Granted, with there being only one small entrance/exit to the stands for bathrooms and concessions, the extra time was needed. But if you were looking to get to bed before 1:00am, it certainly didn’t help.

I'm just glad I didn't bring any guests (first timers) to this show. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future this show (if it sees a return next year) suffers greatly in attendance because of the experience this year with the time factor and entry/exit limitations of the facility.

So.....um...... yeah. SCV took Percussion by a long shot, took GE, and took visual. Guess their show isn't as boring as people are saying. Good to see how much improvement this corps has made since the start of the season. Can't wait to see it Saturday, then watch the rest of the videos leading up to Indy. This show is going to be a monster by the end. :thumbup:

BIG OOPS!

I meant to give you a "GREEN +," but I slipped and hit the "red -" instead. The Devil's Staircase is truly a monster show, and they're really starting to control that beast! Every section (brass/visual included) is getting remarkably stronger as we move along. I agree with "thirdcoast," DARK HORSE!

I wasn't at this show, but I saw them the night before. SCV has the best visual program, IMO, and the music book is top notch. My only complaint is the volume. It's bizarrely soft. Even when everything looks like it's going to be a huge brass impact, it just isn't there, like half or fewer of the horns are playing, maybe? We discussed this a bunch in the Metamora show thread.

BIG OOPS!

I meant to give you a "GREEN +," but I slipped and hit the "red -" instead. The Devil's Staircase is truly a monster show, and they're really starting to control that beast! Every section (brass/visual included) is getting remarkably stronger as we move along. I agree with "thirdcoast," DARK HORSE!

It's okay, someone else gave a green, so the world righted itself. I love this show, and really think it's the dark horse of the year. i'm not sure how high it can climb, with the super stiff competition at the top, but it will go places. The ballad should be the ballad of the year, and the rest of the show is so powerful. The kids are really starting to get their show under their feet and fingers, and it's really starting to show. Just the improvements from Texas to now are astounding!

• Like 1

I wasn't at this show, but I saw them the night before. SCV has the best visual program, IMO, and the music book is top notch. My only complaint is the volume. It's bizarrely soft. Even when everything looks like it's going to be a huge brass impact, it just isn't there, like half or fewer of the horns are playing, maybe? We discussed this a bunch in the Metamora show thread.

So is it Cavies syndrome, or just lower overall talent in their hornline? I gotta believe it isn't conditioning holding the sound back halfway through the season.

I was at this show. I didn't see anyone leave before SCV performed. In fact, I was surprised at how many people stayed for the announcement of the scores. I also don't think this was necessarily a Scouts crowd. All of the people that surrounded me were Pioneer fans. This show was close to Milwaukee. Yes, the crowd went crazy for the Scouts show -- I understand that nation wide, crowds have gone crazy for this show. As for the SCV show, it is not very entertaining. That was really evident after following the Scouts exceptionally entertaining show. Crossmen's show also seemed so-so after following a very entertaining Spirit show.

So is it Cavies syndrome, or just lower overall talent in their hornline? I gotta believe it isn't conditioning holding the sound back halfway through the season.

I'm thinking it's more of the brass staff than talent. As much as I like the guys, volume isn't always the highest priority. I am still holding out hope that once the show is fully under control, visually and musically, then they will up the volume. Better to add volume later than having to pull back the volume because kids are playing out of control.

As for the SCV show, it is not very entertaining. That was really evident after following the Scouts exceptionally entertaining show.

And yet, SCV still took GE.... :ph34r: Has to be a conspiracy, right? Or maybe SCV is more entertaining than people are giving them credit for.

• Like 1