Like 'em or not...

This is a year that the Cadets are getting some much deserved love from the DCP crowd. However, it seems that every thread that deals with them has something great to say, but is shadowed by "as much as I hate to admit it..." or "like it or not...".

This brings back the memories of the Cadets being the corps people love to hate. I think it's time to step beyond that for some. For those that hated the talking, the singing, the door (the second time around), it's gone now. I think we'd all agree that we're seeing some classic Cadets this year and it's okay to like it :thumbup:

For those with opinions about George Hopkins, what has he done lately? I'll let you decide.

FHNSAB

edit: for spelling

Edited by behold888
  • Like 4

I have been thinking the same thing. Hopefully this show will win the cadets some new fans and bring back some of the old. I have always loved the cadets and this show is why.

• Like 1

This is a year that the Cadets are getting some much deserved love from the DCP crowd. However, it seems that every thread that deals with them has something great to say, but is shadowed by "as much as I hate to admit it..." or "like it or not...".

This brings back the memories of the Cadets being the corps people love to hate. I think it's time to step beyond that for some. For those that hated the talking, the singing, the door (the second time around), it's gone now. I think we'd all agree that we're seeing some classic Cadets this year and it's okay to like it :thumbup:

For those with opinions about George Hopkins, what has he done lately? I'll let you decide.

FHSNAB

While I'm glad that they are getting back to a more traditional style of drum corps, I still don't like the show. The good vs. evil thing has been done to death, and they aren't doing anything I haven't seen 8 million other groups do in the marching band and indoor drumline world. This is of course all said with the utmost respect for the kids in the ensemble, as I know how hard they work, and how little control they have over the design.

• Like 3

It's about time that the cheese was dropped in favor of straight ahead aggressive marching and playing. When George and company puts a show out there that does that . . and drops the other pretenses . . . it's classic Cadets.

I understand why he went the way he did . . .2005 was successful in pushing the story motif with the new "toys", so there was a tendency to see how far the paradigm could bend the next few years. 2006 tried to cram too much into the show for that reason.2007 and 2008 just went too far to the maudlin, stilted side as the experiment went from a more theatrical approach to one that cut the pretense and spoke directly to the audience . . .and drum corps just isn't a graceful vehicle for that. 2009 and 2010 were steps back, trying to find a good mix . . .Little Jeffery aside. :tongue:

This year is the best attempt yet at putting drums and horns in the forefront . . . and using the new stuff as the effects and layering it should be to be successful in a drum corps setting.

I truly hope they win with this show. :smile:

While I'm glad that they are getting back to a more traditional style of drum corps, I still don't like the show. The good vs. evil thing has been done to death, and they aren't doing anything I haven't seen 8 million other groups do in the marching band and indoor drumline world. This is of course all said with the utmost respect for the kids in the ensemble, as I know how hard they work, and how little control they have over the design.

I upvoted you because I'm not sure why someone downvoted you for a valid, non-abusive opinion. For the record, I quite agree. (And I'm an alum.)

• Like 1

Yeah, that's true, but it's a classic vehicle for a story line (Romeo/Juliet, Jets/Sharks, etc). It's not going away any time soon, either!

Sure, other bands/indoor groups have done some things, but this is your chance to see it done with drum corps-like precision that you just don't get with those other groups (except maybe indoor groups). So enjoy the good pageantry!

• Like 1

I upvoted you because I'm not sure why someone downvoted you for a valid, non-abusive opinion. For the record, I quite agree. (And I'm an alum.)

For the record, I did not downvote him (despite my disagreement in my response to his post)!!

• Like 1

FHSNAB

I know it's hard to see sometimes but most posters here are talking about shows not corps when they're being critical (even if they fail to explicitly mention that point). Sure there are people who don't like Hop's "vision" for where drum corps is headed.

But it has little to do with the "corps" or with the performers.

Sometimes posters do "cross the line" but you'll generally see all of DCP jump that poster if they do.

So don't take too much of the 'apparent' negativity to heart. The interplay is kind of fun once you get used to it.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

I know it's hard to see sometimes but most posters here are talking about shows not corps when they're being critical (even if they fail to explicitly mention that point). Sure there are people who don't like the Hop's "vision" for where drum corps is headed.

But it has little to do with the "corps" or with the performers.

Sometimes posters do "cross the line" but you'll generally see all of DCP jump that poster if they do.

So don't take too much of the 'apparent' negativity to heart. The interplay is kind of fun once you get used to it.

I completely agree here. While I have my own vehement disagreement with pretty much everything Hopkins stands for, I try really hard not to take it out on the Cadets. When I was younger, I was definitely one of those immature guys who couldn't see a difference through the association, but I like to think I've grown out of that.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's true, but it's a classic vehicle for a story line (Romeo/Juliet, Jets/Sharks, etc). It's not going away any time soon, either!

Sure, other bands/indoor groups have done some things, but this is your chance to see it done with drum corps-like precision that you just don't get with those other groups (except maybe indoor groups). So enjoy the good pageantry!

I can understand that point of view, but it seems like this particular story has just been done a lot lately. I just don't feel like the Cadets are bringing anything new to the concept this year. The split corps thing is interesting, but again, I've seen other groups do the exact same thing. I feel like at this level, if you're going to do a classic concept like this, you need to really do something new with it. Otherwise its just another show (albeit really well executed).

Don't get me wrong. Its not that I don't enjoy the show at all. I just usually expect more from designers at that level.

• Like 1