Like 'em or not...

You hit the nail on the head, but in reverse, IMO. From my perspective, the vast majority of the criticism towards Hop has come because he's implementing things that have been in the band world for years. His vision is to make drum corps more band like; he constantly trumpets his belief that the public doesn't understand the difference and, hence, DCI should just morph into marching band and be done with it. Those of us who disagree contend that the distinction drum corps has had for all these years is that one defining thing that makes it special.

Forget that, for years, marching bands longed to be drum corps in style and, now that they've attained it, Hop's idea is to forget about leading the activity and, instead, mimic marching bands. His belief is that if DCI looks like marching band we'll have a bigger audience to attract. I believe that if drum corps looks like marching band that even fewer band kids will bother to do band both in the fall and in the summer. Rhetorically, If it's not special and different what will entice band students to become a part of it? This concept is lost on GH, apparently.

While there are differing opinions in DCP-land, the only data to support that MMs come to drum corps because it's different from marching band was presented by Vaticinate's Project Persona. That study of then-current marching members showed clearly that the majority came to drum corps because it was NOT marching band. However, when that data was presented the most prominent answer in the room was that, obviously, Vaticinate asked the wrong people!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Cadets because of what their shows have given me over nearly 30 years, and this years' show is the most exciting to me since 2000. There is no doubt that George knows how to put a show together and get his kids to bust their butts on making the best it can be. That realizaiton, however, doesn't endenture me to agree with Hop's vision of the future of the activity.

ive taught in this actiity a very long time and I can tell you the main reason kids come to drum corps is NOT because drum corps is sooo different its because they can do what they like and more or less travel, be away from home and parents ,its their 1st feeling of independence.......thats the bigger reason than all combined tht have been given.....as far as hop.....i know him well, dilike most of the person, dont agree with alot, BUT he saved cadets and made them thrive, and his outrageous proposals are backed by many other corps wheather they admit it or not...he is not a party of one by no means.

• Like 3

It's a shame, I was hoping to spread the Cadets love...

ugh...

:doh:

Hey, I'll help spread the love. I've been a Cadets honk since the beginning ('73 - '74) and I've loved every single year, even those where I disliked the show like the mid-'00s. I've seen the corps up close at our show, and spent nearly 24 hours watching the "machine" build a day-in-the-life of the tour. It's just amazing. His staff, both paid and volunteer, is a sight to behold. There are few programs that can match what that whole "machine" can put out (although, to be sure, there are a few others.

When I watch the show this year, other than the amp volume, I'm completely blown away by their execution. I haven't seen another corps this year who comes close to the physical demand that this show requires and, even forgetting the scores, the kids are pumping out like sweat in Texas. The musical book, while completely unknown to me prior to this year, is involving, phrased very well (couple blips), has amazing tension and release, displays such finesse (in the ballad), and still has the powerful volume and intricate inner voices that have become the hallmark of Cadets. I really could gush on and on... This show has the makings to blow away the field this year.

In defense, the OP originally brought forth the idea that GH takes a lot of crap. I don't think a civil, and varied, discussion around that topic is off base of the subject matter. Just my .02.

• Like 2

As the thread creator you *can* ask a MOD to shut things down any time you like :-) Just press REPORT on a post in the thread then ask the mods to close it because it's gone too far off topic.

Sometimes just asking nicely gets the thread back on topic -- sometimes it doesn't. Wanted to let you know that you have the option as the OP !

Hey! I never knew this! Thanks for the tip!

(And I disagree that it should be closed. Too soon...)

Hey! I never knew this! Thanks for the tip!

(And I disagree that it should be closed. Too soon...)

I don't know why people are so resistant to just opening new threads when the OP feels they're off-topic. It's not like it costs you money to open a thread specifically about the topic you want to discuss.

Threads wander (and I get that) but when A&E get introduced, rarely do they recover.

So sometimes you just have to go Ripley on it and "nuke the whole site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure".

i couldn't possibly care less about the show's theme. that's about 20th on the list of things i care about in any show.

the cadets are one of my favorites this year because they're aggressively going after their music, drill, and equipment word. i can tell the performers are really into what they're doing for the first time in years, and i think it's more because the music and movement are amazing, and less about "hey, we're angels and demons, grrrrrrr!"

i always think of long openers like they have this year as uber-openers, and this is my favorite one of its kind since BD 2004.

i have faith they'll get the last 4 minutes of this show to really click, and contend for the championship....which would be awesome because it's time for a new design aesthetic (as much as I love BD) to guide dci's coming years.

• Like 3

And this thread is about to spasm into YATAE (yet another thread about electronics) so unless you think DCP needs another (it doesn't :-) I'd just close it right now :ninja:

Wait, you thought a topic about George Hopkins and the Cadets that calls out people who haven't liked their recent offerings telling them they must love this year's show and stop complaining about George would generate a constructive conversation? About what? :w00t: (Just kidding, OP.)

[edit: I removed my latest rant about electronics... it's a reflex, sorry :lookaround: ]

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 3

ive taught in this actiity a very long time and I can tell you the main reason kids come to drum corps is NOT because drum corps is sooo different its because they can do what they like and more or less travel, be away from home and parents ,its their 1st feeling of independence.......thats the bigger reason than all combined tht have been given.....as far as hop.....i know him well, dilike most of the person, dont agree with alot, BUT he saved cadets and made them thrive, and his outrageous proposals are backed by many other corps wheather they admit it or not...he is not a party of one by no means.

The data does not support that statement although, I admit, it may reflect your experience. I also don't doubt the "independence" influence. But many bands now travel extensively even if you can't call it a "tour".

With an average age of 19 it's hard to believe that drum corps is their first time away for many of today's marchers.

I was very unsure of the two-uniform concept when Cadets announced it. I didn't have the visceral reaction that some vets had, but I couldn't see how it could be used with impact.

Boy, was I wrong. The stark contrast of uniform colors reinforces the concept and helps highlight the tension in both sides. That amazing moment when the two halves of the drum line run towards each other to do battle is greatly enhanced by the two colors coming together. I think the tough decision about uniforms turned out to be a great success. It's also fun to see how the kids relate to being on the Angels team or the Demons team. It shows they're really into their part on the field.

And I love a show where the opener keeps you on the edge of your seat for a full 4 or 5 minutes.

• Like 1

The data does not support that statement although, I admit, it may reflect your experience. I also don't doubt the "independence" influence. But many bands now travel extensively even if you can't call it a "tour".

With an average age of 19 it's hard to believe that drum corps is their first time away for many of today's marchers.

I was very unsure of the two-uniform concept when Cadets announced it. I didn't have the visceral reaction that some vets had, but I couldn't see how it could be used with impact.

Boy, was I wrong. The stark contrast of uniform colors reinforces the concept and helps highlight the tension in both sides. That amazing moment when the two halves of the drum line run towards each other to do battle is greatly enhanced by the two colors coming together. I think the tough decision about uniforms turned out to be a great success. It's also fun to see how the kids relate to being on the Angels team or the Demons team. It shows they're really into their part on the field.

And I love a show where the opener keeps you on the edge of your seat for a full 4 or 5 minutes.

those just getting out of HS it is the 1st experience for alot and although drum corps is very expensive where else can you get instruction. performance oppurtunity, costuming, food, travel, housing for several months etc etc for the price

( you cant )as far as the uniform I for one didnt see the big deal in a change for a year and many alumni didnt either yes many did But it was also told the uniform would look nothing like it does now and not even the same colors....either way...great show