In your opinion...

What makes a DCI champion?

Make a wish list, make a list of reasons, factors, etc. that you think make a DCI champion.

Please note: the question is NOT "describe your perfect show". I'll create that one later (for laughs :rolleyes: )

Make a wish list, make a list of reasons, factors, etc. that you think make a DCI champion.

Please note: the question is NOT "describe your perfect show". I'll create that one later (for laughs :rolleyes: )

1) Receiving the highest score.

$1 to Jeff Ream :smile:

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 2

1) Receiving the highest score.

$1 to Jeff Ream :smile:

Well that didn't take long... :smile::rolleyes:

Being innovative, daring, running your ### of, all the while executing brilliant musicianship...or to put it more simply, be XtraordinarY. (as always)

• Like 1

Being innovative, daring, running your ### of, all the while executing brilliant musicianship...or to put it more simply, be XtraordinarY. (as always)

be careful, the grammar and spelling police are out tonight

I am proud of the boys in green!

Well, sadly the most entertaining show doesn't exactly win all the time. Crown 09, Cavies 2010 are great examples of that. I am not saying BD didn't entertain in those seasons but I personally liked Crown and Cavies more.

So when it comes down to it, who can execute better is who wins.

What about all that working hard stuff and being a good performer? (i suppose that falls under execution?)

I'd say generally no major weaknesses in any Corps sections. While its possible to win a DCI with ( say ) 5th or 6th in Guard, its almost impossible to overcome, imo... even when 1st in most other captions. Corps also must have sufficient demand in the show. Its also helpful to offer something different and or unique as a show design. Obviously, execution, execution, execution is certainly paramount. Its also helpful if the show has a very strong Visual component to it.... even more so than a strong brass and percussion section. The judging captions reward visual over music playing. Each Guard marcher is more important on the score sheets for example than ( say ) a brass marcher. There are usually double the marchers in brass than guard, but the sheets are weighted currently to give more influence on the current judging sheets to a solitary Guard marcher's performance than to a solitary brass marcher. Thus, it is not unusual for us to see that Corps that win a DCI Title largely do so through a strong visual program... and they usually finish 1st (or 2nd ) in Guard as well.

Edited by BRASSO

For me, the perfect championship type of show is one that has a special blend of elements to go along with incredible execution. The show must have an element of true artistry. The notion that ideas flow together and are chained in a logical way is not good enough. The ideas themselves must be artistically developed (both music and drill). The show might present moments of passion, power, control, speed, oohs and aahs, as well as jump-out-of-your-seat thrills. It may also showcase the intricate, the esoteric, complex ideas that take time to digest, but it compliments these ideas with the standard repertoire (company fronts, boxes, rotations, pushes, melody, full-bodied musical development, and so on).

The GE must be varied and not stagnant or fixed. The show does NOT have to take you through all the human emotions, but it needs to at least have moments that make you happy, thrilled, and perhaps even spell bound. The show does not have to have a theme, nor does it need to be a story, but it must be logical with whatever idea it's trying to present, and the musicianship and visual performance must echo those ideas to the audience in an artistic way (as mentioned above).

Above all, the performance must show mastery of all elements (one of the reasons why BD wins so often). I would prefer the corps not be too weak in any caption. Usually champions tend to be top 3 in most captions and sub-captions, or at least close to that. A corps with sloppy drill cannot win finals. It's happened, but no matter how difficult the drill, you have to clean it. The same goes for music, but a sloppy visual program will be more noticeable to the average fan. The Cadets and Cavaliers, for all their wonderful achievements and many titles, tend to roll the dice some years. They both march wicked drill, but if they don't clean it they know their fate, no matter how good their show is.

Edited by jwillis35

Here are Bill Cook's words on the subject:

I would like to digress a moment and talk about what it takes to win a championship. First, a corps must have experience, a work ethic that goes beyond saying "I worked hard" because working hard on the wrong things will eventually ruin a corps hope for success.

I believe that staffs win championships. A corps director must instinctively know where to place the emphasis and the staff must have a music and drill book that is sufficiently difficult. A championship book must appear to be seamless--it must flow and the members must be sufficiently accomplished to make their actions appear easy. If the spectators perceive the work as being easy but executed to perfection, then the staff has done its job and the corps has learned their lessons well. Physical conditioning also is an integral part of the success formula--every member must be able to finish.

from http://starofindiana.com/history/rec4.html

• Like 1