Cavaliers so called "gimmicks".

I have read just about all the reviews of the shows this year and I have been excited as to the quality of so many of the corps this year. I admit my bias as a Cavalier from the 60s just to get that out of the way, but I am a drum corps fan and a fan of all the corps and enjoy anything that is well put together and performed at a high level. That being said here is my b---h. This year the Cavaliers have won every show except the first which they lost by .2 and most of them by decisive margins. They are pleasing the fans and the judges alike and most of what I hear from the self proclaimed experts here is about the upside down tenors and trumpets and the stilts (did you ever think maybe the stilts are there to add dimension, they aren't dragging out scaffolds and boxes etc) and if it wasn't for that that somehow they wouldn't be where they are. They are having a great season because at least thus far they have marched, played horns and drummed "collectively" better than anyone else, to a drill that is difficult, fast moving and brilliant. Playing a diverse program of Bach, Wayne Shorter and an American standard at a high level of quality and volume while moving that everyone criticized for years. I for one am pleased that the show has a diffuse or no theme and no story line. If you want a story buy a book. Since when did that have to be the criteria anyway. It is just 150 guys trying to lay it down, that's the story save the rest of it, it is really a very simple story. I take nothing away from any other corps, I personally think the Cadets are outstanding with a great difficult show as well, as well as several others. All I am saying is give credit where it is due or you make a fool of yourself. I wasn't a big fan of the recent shows by the Blue Devils Championships but they were the best corps on the field. I didn't care much for Cadets show in 2005 but good God what an incredible deserving corps. You get my point. OK I feel better now.

\

Yes. Both Devils & Cadets are better than the Cavies,

\

Yes. Both Devils & Cadets are better than the Cavies,

Not so far. They haven't proved that yet, maybe they will. I am guessing this show is far from complete if it were that would be the first time in at least 30 years.

• Like 1

Anyone who says the gimmicks are inflating the score don't really know how the judging system works.

Mike

The judging system is far from being equitable across the board - Cavies were crowned as 'its their turn' from the outset and if anyone thinks any corp can beat them in Indy - get a life. Cavies could fall flat in INdy and Cadets/Crown or BD could perform a perfect show and the results would be the same. The Judges 'book' should be banned as it is unfair to all participants.

Edited by coloradocorp
  • Like 1

The judging system is far from being equitable across the board - Cavies were crowned as 'its their turn' from the outset and if anyone thinks any corp can beat them in Indy - get a life. Cavies could fall flat in INdy and Cadets/Crown or BD could perform a perfect show and the results would be the same. The Judges 'book' should be banned as it is unfair to all participants.

"Bitter, party of one!".... :tongue:

The judges are responding to the product on the field. Cavaliers' visual design is more ambitious than most of what's out there this year (let's not even enter BD into that discussion, please), and the hornline is putting out a lot of sound. Percussion-wise, Mac's boys have an inside line at winning drums this year because they've got an excellent book and are kicking it.

That being the case, this is hardly a case of it being Rosemont's 'turn' - it's a case of Rosemont having showed up with a lot of ammo in their pockets and the hardware to use it.

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 7

The fact is, you could take any show, remove the most successful and effective pieces, and it would be a less successful show.

The name of the show is XtraordinarY. If they weren't doing these "extraordinary thing" like playing drums upside down, or running around mallet instruments while playing or whatever it is they're doing with their trumpets, people would be making the argument that they weren't reconciling their show concept.

The fact is, they are winning. People are going to hate on them. Haters will find a reason because their job description doesn't require the use of logic, or actual evaluation of the shows. If the Blue Devils were in first, people would be hating on them. Same with any other group.

Let haters do their job. It can be really entertaining if you let it.

The fact is, you could take any show, remove the most successful and effective pieces, and it would be a less successful show.

The name of the show is XtraordinarY. If they weren't doing these "extraordinary thing" like playing drums upside down, or running around mallet instruments while playing or whatever it is they're doing with their trumpets, people would be making the argument that they weren't reconciling their show concept.

The fact is, they are winning. People are going to hate on them. Haters will find a reason because their job description doesn't require the use of logic, or actual evaluation of the shows. If the Blue Devils were in first, people would be hating on them. Same with any other group.

Let haters do their job. It can be really entertaining if you let it.

<------Refer to my avatar on the left :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Every corps has gimmicks. However, no corps has gimmicks. If one is enamored with a certain corps' show, their gimmicks are perceived as show elements that contribute to the overall total show package. If one doesn't care for a certain corps' show, their show elements that contribute to the overall total show package are perceived as gimmicks.

When effective, gimmicks become show elements that contribute to the overall total show package; when not effective, show elements that contribute to the overall total show package become gimmicks.

• Like 3