** Food For Thought - DCA Open Class

You seem to want to be handed a NE corps at your out of area show. Doesn't work that way. If you really want one, MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Wow. You really seem to have an inflated sense of importance in this world.

Believe it or not, I'll probably survive not seeing your corps at any show for the rest of my life. You're simply not that important to me.

Remember, it's the corps and shows in the NE that are dying out. You need us more than we need you.

Sounds harsh? Maybe it is, but it's true. :tongue:

Rice

Anyone?

How many DCA sponsored shows have taken place outside of the NE in the last ten years?

How many of those shows had NE corps performing in them?

How many more years will it take before east coast corps make an effort to travel to a show outside of their region in an effort to help the expansion of DCA?

Rice

• Like 1

Anyone?

How many DCA sponsored shows have taken place outside of the NE in the last ten years?

How many of those shows had NE corps performing in them?

How many more years will it take before east coast corps make an effort to travel to a show outside of their region in an effort to help the expansion of DCA?

Rice

1. How many shows has DCA sponsored - period - in the past 10 years?

You seem to be under the impression that DCA sponsors all the NE shows during the season.

That's... not factual...

2. NE shows usually have NE corps in them.

SE shows usually have SE corps, same with Midwest shows, California shows, etc.

What's your point?

3. NE corps would LOVE to go to more shows (more paydays), but they simply can't afford the travel costs.

Do you really think NE corps are better off financially than corps in other areas?

Why do *you* think the NE recently lost so many?

And what's so all-fired important about having a NE corps at a show anyway?

Do you think they're going to bring busloads of paying fans with them?

Heck, most NE fans won't travel a hundred miles for a show - and then it better be a big one...

IMO, local corps need to promote themselves locally - and get so good that people flock to see 'em.

Having a corps like the Bucs perform at a Texas show is not going to help Texas corps be any more successful.

It's like, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

Heh...

• Like 1

Ya know, I've been listening to this excuse for over ten years now, ever since the Renegades came into the DCA picture.

Two questions:

Are you sure you're not related to Shadow7??? :ph34r:

Where's Gary with the "One-Note Samba" lyrics when we need him??? :tongue:

No.

I would however like to see the "requirements" applied evenly to all DCA corps.

Example:

DCA requires that a corps participate in at least three shows throughout a season to be "allowed" to participate in the championships show at the end of the year. This requires a lot of travel expenses for the non-NE corps due to the tremendous distances between them and effectively has created an uneven playing field in DCA, at least financially speaking.

Suggestions:

Require that all DCA corps participate in at least one show outside of their region in order to be "allowed" to participate in the championship show. This would help grow the organization on a nationwide scale and establish a fan base outside of the NE. Unfortunately, this puts additional travel requirements on some non-NE corps (California) and further aggravates an already unfair financial arrangement.

Or, DCA could single out the NE corps as a group and require that only they travel outside of their region for at least one show per year due to the fact that all other DCA corps have to travel to their region once a year for the championships. However, I think I already know how that would be received. :rolleyes:

Is this the only way to get the NE corps to travel outside of their region?

You people say you want to see DCA grow? Prove it. Put your money where your mouth is.

Rice

you do realize DCA makes provisions for some of those shows to be counted when at DCI shows right?I mean otherwise Gades would be screwed.

What you want is, IMO, unrealistic, because if a corps budget does not allow for said travel, it takes them out of championships. In fact, what you;'re suggesting is akin to, ain a small way, what many say DCI used to kill off smaller corps...the demand to travel.

In case you haven't noticed, some DCA corps have traveled out of their region from time to time. But, I think the NC fiasco of 2005 may have scared them off,and in this economy, I do not blame them.

See...what you demand as proof is actually quite opposite asto what DCA and the corps have decided needs to be done. Why? Unlikeyou, they actuallyunderstand the economicsof what it takes to keep their corps feasible and running.

Maybe, just maybe, DCA knows what it's doing in this regard. Why?

I went down to the NC show. despite all the hype, and God knows there was hype, the show ####### bombed. at $40 a ticket, you aren't going to draw in the casual fan. Then add in the cost of a major university stadium. Um....anyone make money on the deal??

Not even close. And if you lose money, youdon't have funds to try again.

So sure, have your demands. They are financially unrealistic in todays environment. After all, MBI was cracking the top 5 long before they came in to shows during the regular season. Govies have won how many A titles without ever coming in before Labor Day? Renegades made a serious run at the top for a few years despite having nothing out there?

The need to travel is, IMO far over rated today. DCA has done a lot to work withand help the regions. Remember DCA isn't some corporation with an office and support staff....after modest expenses, all money goesback to the corps themselves.

Actually, I love DCA! It's just disapointing that it's run by what appears to be provincially minded folks on the east coast who don't want to see it grow for fear of losing their control over it. :cool:

Rice

sorry to say, but your take on how DCA actually works is apparently quite off base

Edited by Jeff Ream

Ya know, I've been listening to this excuse for over ten years now, ever since the Renegades came into the DCA picture.

Enough.

It's a control maneuver. That's all.

The east coast powers that be held off for as long as they could from expansion hoping new corps in the NE would spring up to help counter the growth of corps taking place outside of the NE. That way, they could keep control over DCA by sheer numbers if nothing else.

Well, guess what?

It didn't happen.

Now that corps and shows throughout the NE are dying and DCA needs to expand outside of the NE region quickly to survive, they are suddenly very interested in expansion!

What a surprise.................................not! :rock:

Hmmm, I guess the powers that be finally realized, they need us too.

In short: The same old tired excuses aren't going to work anymore.

It's new ballgame now!

Rice

this has to be among the most laughable thing I've seen on here in the 9 years DCP has been running.

You think DCA wasn't thrilled when Renegades first came in? They brought a buzz to DCA not seen in years. Then look how their growth fostered more growth to where 26 corps showed up in 2005!! Hell, one year Renegades were a penalty away from top 4.

You just killed your own argument inside your argument

Here's one.

Why not have the corps in the outside-the-NE-area band together and off-set the travel costs for a corps like Bucs or Statesmen? Make it more financially viable, and they will come.

shh. we cant have that. Not like any corps got special deals to come to NC or DeKalb :ph34r: