Houston Show

Another fun night of drum corps from the wonderful Berry Center in Cypress, Tx. A bit bummed that it was only last year's top 8, I would have liked to have seen Madison after everything I've been hearing about them. Nonetheless, the corps' did well and the show, as per the usual, ran very smoothly in this new-fangled "Tournament of Champions" format. Psh, whatever, just wanted to see some drum corps. Not the best of vantage points (about half-way up in front of Side 1's goal line), but I managed to get a decent first read. Emphasis on first read. So here goes...

Blue Stars

Cool show from them this year. All sections are fairly solid. There is still a fair amount of dirt remaining (to be expected before the first regional, though more than I would like to see/hear). I dug their music, but didn't think their "skyline" props added any to the show. Can't wait to see what they do with the ending. Connected well with the audience. Encore: Cee-Lo Green's "F*** You".

Bluecoats

Plenty of "BLOOOOOO"ing from the crowd this evening. A very nice product from the Canton crowd this year. I seem to be hearing that the most memorable thing about this show is its use of "Creep" at the beginning, which, while awesome, is unfortunately true. It seems too reminiscent of last year's show and I get all of the "Brave New World" motifs with the wandering moments in the guard and body movements etc., but as good as this corps is and with the competition this year, this show faces new obstacles. However, it is well executed (still dirty though) and still has some room to grow. The audience dug it. Encore: random pop tune with Pachelbel Canon changes with possible modulation up a whole step

Cavaliers

Quite a warm reception for the Green Team from this Houston crowd; they love their Cavaliers. And Rosemont gave them good reason to. I can see why they have been the corps to beat all summer. They seem to have the most complete product on the field thus far. It's a very good show, well designed and integrated and all sections are clicking very well together with (comparitively) little dirt. It will be interesting to see what kind of changes they'll make to it to maintain a semblence of freshness as they enter the Regional season and stave off some pesky competitors. People have been saying that it seems to feed off of the energy of last year's show and I can see why; this show has a nice, dark, primal feel to it and it works very well with this corps and the audience. They do a good job of "framing" the stilt guy, but I feel they can work him in some more and make him more visible. The gimmicks are nice and, for some reason, don't really seem cheap. Reminds me of Cadets 2000 where the gimmicks were at the end of the show and added to this "celebration" motif, which seems to be the case here. The other corps' have their work cut out for them, but it's not impossible. Encore: Mars, some kind of rehash of their 1995 arrangement

Blue Devils

Not suprisingly, the Devils did very well tonight at the Berry Center. Their show has a real "old school" feel to it and it was dug by all. Very competent soloist in the opening number and wonderfully mature sounds from the hornline. A screamer had an issue in the middle of the show, but was vindicated at the end when the three upper leads lined up (in another wonderfully "old school" gesture) next to the pit and proceeded to play quite high. I just wish they didn't have to use those "house" props, just seems to give them another excuse not to move(as much). Nice show from them, don't think it'll win, but they have fun with it. Encore: Hmm, I can't really remember what they did, maybe another Bacharach tune?

Santa Clara Vanguard

I like where they want to go where this corps. I don't necessarily like where they are now. SCV has an interesting (and challenging) show with many a cool moment. I love Barber's First Essay and think it works well and their ballad (the Jenkins?) is gorgeous. Not suprisingly, the drumline is the standout section of the show and, at times, it seems that the bulk of their show is written with that in mind. Not necessarily a bad thing; it seems wise to play to strengths. The hornline is very well balanced and plays with a nice sound; unfortunately, the press-box is not located in the middle of the bottom tier. Moments need more projection and more effect and, really, the show needs to be sold better. This show probably has the most room to grow in the top 8. Encore: possibly Russian Christmas Music? Short and puzzling.

Phantom Regiment

A solid offering tonight from Rockford. No preshow, which was absolutely phenomenal. I need preshow like I need a parking ticket. I don't. The design and presentation of the "Romeo and Juliet" thing is well done and still has some potential growth. Brass are coming into their own. More "old school"-ness with regards to the chevron design on the uniform and the absence of the "Y" chromosome in the guard this year. Making the sharp contrast by having the "white" corps and the "black" guard serves the R&J motif well and the show moves well. Still obvious dirt, possibly from rewrites. The change in battery staff is noticeable, but not necessarily a detractor. Elsa's went well, crowd ate it up. Definitely a step above last year's show. Encore: Bacchanale from "Samson and Delilah" - Saint-Saens

Carolina Crown

I like cheese, but there is such a thing as too much. The crew from Carolina seem to be toeing that line. With a show like "Rach Star", it is going to be hard to tone it down, especially since part of the corps' modern identity seems to be direct audience involvement using popular music. The arrangements are good and the hornline creates sounds made of Jim Ott awards and, visually, they are actually fairly clean. The way in which they use "Bohemian Rhapsody" to create a narrative for the show is an interesting idea and it looks like they already changed their ending. Hopefully, it's not too early or maybe they'll change it again, who knows, but it seems like a very definitive end. Don't really think they need their props. Other than the timed trust exercise, it seems like more of a detractor and interferes with the way they cover the field. Good show, crowd loved it, however, I don't see it getting higher than 3rd. Encore: ELP's Karn Evil 9

The Cadets

I think as far as wholesome show design goes, I dig The Cadets' the most. A very cool idea, splitting the corps into "good" and "evil" they way they do and the way that the visually and musically battle one another and, ultimately, come together. Another show with a very "old school" vibe about it: lots of good ol' break-neck marching and playing as only The Cadets can do. If there is a show to challenge the Cavaliers, I'd like it to be this one and I think it can be. Needs some more cleaning. Encore: Journey's Don't Stop Believin'

Thanks for reading my two-cents. I didn't stay for scores and all that electing, instead, to beat traffic, but all corps had very good things about them and very prominent areas in which they need to grow. San Antonio's later today, Atlanta next week, followed by Allentown, and then Finals. Clock's ticking.

• Like 4

Great review! I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of Crown, saying their identity involves using popular music. Last year's show and the "Grass" year certainly didn't have any pop tunes, and I think they've really done a great job at keeping everyone offguard by creating almost a new persona every year. This year's show certainly doesn't compare to last year's very serious one, which I think is great. It keeps us all guessing what they might do next year! Could be Stravinsky or it could be Led Zeppelin... (-:

Thanks for the excellent review!

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of Crown, saying their identity involves using popular music.

Agreed on this point. Except for Bohemian Rhapsody in 04 and Somewhere Over the Rainbow in 09, unless you count musicals as pop music, then Crown hasn't done pop music until this year. Even then, very few years have made use of tunes from musicals, either.

Blue Devils

Encore: Hmm, I can't really remember what they did, maybe another Bacharach tune?

Santa Clara Vanguard

Encore: possibly Russian Christmas Music? Short and puzzling.

Just to help clarify. SCV's encore was "Lezghinka". An old SCV chart played in 1978, '79 and '87. BD played, for some reason that I don't quite understand (as well as Blue Stars, Bluecoats and Cadets encores), an 80s New Wave tune- "Always Something There To Remind Me".

Edited by skajerk

Ahh, thanks for the encore info. I remember now the 80's tune but hadn't heard of Vanguard's piece before.

Your comments concerning my statement regarding Carolina Crown's identity are well taken.

BD played, for some reason that I don't quite understand (as well as Blue Stars, Bluecoats and Cadets encores), an 80s New Wave tune- "Always Something There To Remind Me".

It's a Bacharach tune as well, recorded earlier by Dionne Warwick (of course) and many others.

• Like 1

doh.gifThat'e right. I forgot it was originally a Bacharach tune! I still feel the same way, though. I would've much rather heard something else from BD's vast library. Just as Cavies, Phantom and SCV did.

Thanks for the excellent review!

Agreed on this point. Except for Bohemian Rhapsody in 04 and Somewhere Over the Rainbow in 09, unless you count musicals as pop music, then Crown hasn't done pop music until this year. Even then, very few years have made use of tunes from musicals, either.

They did Sarah McLachlan's Angel in 05, Rolling Stones Wild Horses in 07. I would call those recognizable and popular tunes.

Ahh, thanks for the encore info. I remember now the 80's tune but hadn't heard of Vanguard's piece before.

Your comments concerning my statement regarding Carolina Crown's identity are well taken.

"Lezghinka" is from Khachaturian's "Gayne Ballet Suite". The bulk of SCV's '78 and '79 show came from it...