What does Deborah Torchia have against the Cavaliers?

lol. I was calmly waiting until tonight. Still anyone's game, the lead isn't the big.

I totally agree with you bro. Its far from over. I am just happy to see BD making this late season run. Minus this tie that just happened, this season reminds me so much of 2003 when Cavies came storming outta the gate that year. Only to see BD past them in late July and never look back. But everyone should be afraid of the Cadets. That show is BEAST!!!!!

Wow. BD isnt even close to Cavaliers in visual design (or Cadets for that matter). Thats a laughable score.

I would love to hear more about why you feel BD's visual design is not "close" to Cavaliers or Cadets. This is not a loaded question, I'm am genuinely interested to hear your opinion. I'm trying to find out what makes a good visual package to the average drum corp fan and am no way trying to bait you into an argument. (I find way too many "impassioned" post in this forum).

Wait. What?

Crown is doing a college marching band show (see Western Carolina from last year). They are doing a fantastic job at it and it is very entertaining, but not a lot of new territory there. The fact that their show does not have a lot of risk or depth is why they will probably not win, because they perform VERY well.

Cadets are not doing ANYTHING new this year. The most innovative thing they are doing is the two uniforms on the field, which was done by the 1987 Skyryders. Still a great show, but nothing new from them.

BD is copying the formulas that they have used the last few years. 2010, very innovative. Tons of Risk. 2011 is derivative. Also, they stand around while playing A LOT. Not a lot of risk when you stand stand still and play as much as they do.

Cavaliers do have similar looking drill every year because it is Michael Gaines. He has a certain personality and style as does Leon May, Jeff Sacktig, Jay Murphey, Myron Rosander, & Pete Weber (among others). This year The cavaliers are doing lots of things that have never been done before and that is why they are getting rewarded even when they get outperformed.

Anyways, as far as the topic is concerned, I don't think Debbie has anything against The Cavaliers. She does slam a few groups from time to time. I have heard Crown folks and maybe even some cadets folks talk about how she HATES them, so it is not exclusive to one corps. Honestly, I think people go after some judges and talk about their biases on here too much. Are there some weak judges out there? Yes, but I don't think judges go into shows purposely wanting to screw over one specific team. If they do, they don't last long.

Now with all of that being said, I think she is fairly unpleasant as an adjudicator. Her demeanor and her tapes come across as harsh to lots of groups, so I can see why she gets labeled the way she does, even if it is not entirely accurate.

What innovations do you see in Cavalier's show this season? Are they musical, visual, or both? Please describe specific moments where these moments happen.

What innovations do you see in Cavalier's show this season? Are they musical, visual, or both? Please describe specific moments where these moments happen.

Do you seriously don't see anything innovative about their show? I guess visual innovation gets old after awhile.

• Like 1

What was that you said?

1 Blue Devils 93.150

1 The Cadets 93.150

3 The Cavaliers 92.400

4 Carolina Crown 91.350

5 Phantom Regiment 88.400

6 Santa Clara Vanguard 87.450

7 Bluecoats 87.200

8 Blue Stars 84.100

Oh darn. Do you want a rubber cookie?

Maybe it's just menopause.

• Like 1

Do you seriously don't see anything innovative about their show? I guess visual innovation gets old after awhile.

My usual take on it is that, within the context of the broader activity, Cavies are always among the most innovative corps on the field.

But within the context of their own history, no, I wouldn't say that this show does anything that I wouldn't have expected the Cavaliers to be capable of doing or designing. I find the show surprising and interesting within its own 11.5 minute context, but in the broader scheme of things I wouldn't say there are any surprises.

But do there really need to be? Not every show has to be a Cavs 02 (genuinely new) or a PR 08 (a great corps surpassing even itself) to be great. The fact of Cadets' breakneck closer drill is never really a shocker in itself, but that doesn't make the performance any less exciting. I feel the same about the Cavs show this year. I'd love to see them do some weird revision of their own style (like BD last year), but I'm also quite content with what they're already doing.

• Like 1