What's up with Crown's scores .....

Lol you make them sound like the gauntlet. :laughing:

I could see the tshirt now;

front:

THE CADEVILIERS

The trinity of drum corps

back:

20 championships since 1990

(available in green, blue or maroon, of course)

(probably have to say 21 championships come August)

PS Ill take one in each color....somebody who knows how to screen tshirts please do this, im sure you could sale plenty.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1

The previous two comments are right on target...there is something about Crown's visual staff writers that are not hitting the mark with the judges on a consistent basis with the judges. It is and has been a design problem that has cost Crown a lot over the last 2 1/2 and now will become 3 seasons. It is time for all the motion sickness body movement to go and for drill to come back into Crown's visual performances.

Id have to agree with you on this point. When watching yesterday, especially the beginning of the show (not pre-show) I had this same exact feeling

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1

I've had this feeling since 2009.

Also thought bluecoats, had too much as well during Creep, though the music is outstanding

Look at recaps (not just finals) from the past 4 or 5 years. Visual effect and visual ensemble are consistently their lowest scoring captions. Even when they're up there in visual performance and colorguard these two captions hold them back... not to mention last year when their drill held back even the music captions.

Percussion seems to be a problem lately too, but I'm clueless about percussion.

• Like 1

My point exactly Corpsfan710. Crown has a recent history of bad visual design, not necessarily bad execution (i.e., member inability to march). My point is: Even if Crown marched a 1st place performance as they did right before San Antonio, they will never score high in visual GE or Visual Ensemble because their current staff is not writing anything most judges like or want to see.

I agree with others that the whole body motion, wave, knee-jerking movements are getting old and really do nothing for me. Not sure what the effect is, but it's not the effect of entertainment. :-)

AS for the OP's questions about Crown: don't worry!!!! Crown is doing fabulous work! I think we all tend to be somewhat picky and critical during the summer mainly because this is a competitive activity. But let's face it, do you know how many drum corps would LOVE to have the talent, passion, staff, and the shows that Crown has been achieving. They have definitely joined the ranks of the elite corps. As someone pointed out it is difficult to beat Cadets, Cavaliers, and Blue Devils all in the same year come finals. But most corps will never even beat one of them. Carolina Crown has beat two of them at Finals. They are regularly in the conversation for best show, best brass, and they seem to be looking at a top 4 spot this year. TOP 4!!! Have we all become so competitive and myopic that we have failed to realize just how good you have to be to achieve top 4.

Last year when the Bluecoats took 3rd I was in awe and super happy for BLOOOOOO! That's a HUGE achievement! You grow up watching a corps back in the days when they were D2, and you celebrate when they finally make top 12, but then the climbing becomes even more difficult, and finally they hit top 3 and you're stunned.

Don't ever lose sight of just how amazing this run has been for Crown. I still happen to think they pull top 3.

I agree with others that the whole body motion, wave, knee-jerking movements are getting old and really do nothing for me. Not sure what the effect is, but it's not the effect of entertainment. :-)

AS for the OP's questions about Crown: don't worry!!!! Crown is doing fabulous work! I think we all tend to be somewhat picky and critical during the summer mainly because this is a competitive activity. But let's face it, do you know how many drum corps would LOVE to have the talent, passion, staff, and the shows that Crown has been achieving. They have definitely joined the ranks of the elite corps. As someone pointed out it is difficult to beat Cadets, Cavaliers, and Blue Devils all in the same year come finals. But most corps will never even beat one of them. Carolina Crown has beat two of them at Finals. They are regularly in the conversation for best show, best brass, and they seem to be looking at a top 4 spot this year. TOP 4!!! Have we all become so competitive and myopic that we have failed to realize just how good you have to be to achieve top 4.

Last year when the Bluecoats took 3rd I was in awe and super happy for BLOOOOOO! That's a HUGE achievement! You grow up watching a corps back in the days when they were D2, and you celebrate when they finally make top 12, but then the climbing becomes even more difficult, and finally they hit top 3 and you're stunned.

Don't ever lose sight of just how amazing this run has been for Crown. I still happen to think they pull top 3.

They would only love it, until it became a pattern that happened year after year, then decline would eventually befall such corps. Think about Madison's eventual decline during the last decade. Not necessarily every corps or their membership is simply content to place 10-12 every year or 6-9 every year or 4-5 every year. Once a goal is achieved, you want to continue to go beyond it rather than be stagnant.

I don't really see the issue. The 4th best corps is currently scoring in 4th place. At least they have an entertaining show with mostly recognizable music this year.

• Like 1