Loudest Drum Corps -- 2011 Atlanta Edition

For now, I'll just post the highest reading and follow up a bit later with some breakdown and details.

Like last year in Quarterfinals, ALL the corps had a great sound--these numbers DO NOT reflect the quality these kids are putting on the field! I doubt anyone could even claim bragging rights as each show is completely different, so it's a lot like comparing scores from different competitions.

Location: I was on the front row, section 116, seat 16 which put me around the 49 yard line to the left. I noticed the corps speakers were either parallel to the live feed mics or closer to the audience. I think I read on the show thread the audio for the web cast was much improved over the previous feeds. I don't think any speaker (other than subwoofers) were directly in front of my seat.

So, in order of appearance here are the numbers (in dBs) with a few comments. More to follow:

Atlanta CorpsVets: not measured. Atlanta traffic and delays being seated. I'm really sorry!

Alliance: 108

Jubal: 108

Pioneer: 106

Jersey Surf: 112

Teal Sound: 109

Mandarins: 109

Cascades: 109 110 (edit)

Crossmen: 112

Pacific Crest: 108

Colts: 111

The Academy: 110

Glassmen: 113

Troopers: 110

Blue Knights: 108

Blue Stars: 108

Spirit of Atlanta: 113

Santa Clara Vanguard: 111

Boston Crusaders: 107

Madison Scouts: 119. For most of the show, they were cruising along at around 106-110 dBs for max volume, but then in the closer the crowd really got into it. I believe the members were able to feed off the crowd energy, hence the BIG jump in volume. The ending was awesome!!!:thumbup:

Bluecoats: 111

Phantom Regiment: 114

Carolina Crown: 120+. I was debating whether I should change scales on the sound meter before the closer, but decided to leave it the same as Madison. The last chord registered 120, but the display was blinking meaning that was off the 90-120 dB scale I was using and was at least 121 or more. I'll make adjustments for Prelimins in Indy.

The Cavaliers: 113. I wish I could have measured the audience response to the upside down tenor feature. They really enjoyed it!

The Cadets: 110

Blue Devils: 109

Edit: corrected measurement for Cascades.

Edited by CrownBariDad
  • Like 2

Atlanta CorpsVets: not measured. Atlanta traffic and delays being seated. I'm really sorry!

Alliance: 108

Jubal: 108

Pioneer: 106

Jersey Surf: 112

Teal Sound: 109

Mandarins: 109

Cascades: 109

Crossmen: 112

Pacific Crest: 108

Colts: 111

The Academy: 110

Glassmen: 113

Troopers: 110

Blue Knights: 108

Blue Stars: 108

Spirit of Atlanta: 113

Santa Clara Vanguard: 111

Boston Crusaders: 107

Madison Scouts: 119. For most of the show, they were cruising along at around 106-110 dBs for max volume, but then in the closer the crowd really got into it. I believe the members were able to feed off the crowd energy, hence the BIG jump in volume. The ending was awesome!!!:thumbup:

Bluecoats: 111

Phantom Regiment: 114

Carolina Crown: 120+. I was debating whether I should change scales on the sound meter before the closer, but decided to leave it the same as Madison. The last chord registered 120, but the display was blinking meaning that was off the 90-120 dB scale I was using and was at least 121 or more. I'll make adjustments for Prelimins in Indy.

The Cavaliers: 113. I wish I could have measured the audience response to the upside down tenor feature. They really enjoyed it!

The Cadets: 110

Blue Devils: 109

Would you explain these to a novice? If Pioneer was at 106 and BD at 109, does that mean that BD was just 2.8% louder? And if that's the case and indeed volume among all the corps varies only within a 13 percentage point range, does that mean I and the rest of the fans are hearing things?

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 1

Would you explain these to a novice? If Pioneer was at 106 and BD at 109, does that mean that BD was just 2.8% louder? And if that's the case and indeed volume among all the corps varies only within a 13 percentage point range, does that mean I and the rest of the fans are hearing things?

HH

Technically, each 3 dB increase is a doubling of power, so BD is doubling the output of Pio in this example. Subjectively, it takes 10 dB increase for a perception of doubling volume, IIRC, so even though BD wouldn't be twice as loud, they'd definitely be noticeably louder.

• Like 1

Technically, each 3 dB increase is a doubling of power, so BD is doubling the output of Pio in this example. Subjectively, it takes 10 dB increase for a perception of doubling volume, IIRC, so even though BD wouldn't be twice as loud, they'd definitely be noticeably louder.

Thanks for the assist! The Decibel scale is not linear, but logarithmic. Good article on Wikipedia.

This may also explain why my sound meter lets you change levels in 10 dB increments versus 3 dB. Or, 10 dB might just be a nice round number.

Useless Trivia: A Vuvuzela horn at 1 meter can be as loud as 120 dB. I think I'd much rather hear any Drum Corps at 120 dB than this obnoxious invention.

Edited by CrownBariDad

I'm not sure I'm any more convinced. If 3dB is doubling the power, how do we explain Crown at 11dB above BD? Surely they were double, triple or more louder?

No disputing, just not computing ..

HH

I'm not sure I'm any more convinced. If 3dB is doubling the power, how do we explain Crown at 11dB above BD? Surely they were double, triple or more louder?

No disputing, just not computing ..

HH

I think that's why a sound meter is more objective--we humans sometimes perceive things (sight and sound, for example) that instruments tell us we're not really seeing or hearing. Add in the music factor and certain frequencies can add to the perceived loudness.

Could BD have been just as loud as Crown playing Crown's music? I'm absolutely certain they could. Remember--different shows, different arrangements, even different field formations.

Does it matter that I measured Crown at 120 dB and BD at 109? Not in the least. These are just gee whiz numbers which don't mean anything as long as you like what you hear (and personally, I liked both shows a lot).

Anyway, what's a few dBs among friends? Thanks!