Loudest Drum Corps -- 2011 Atlanta Edition

I was at the show in San Antonio. Please dont equate loud with good. Scouts were among the loudest corps in competition that night, but the show is a bit of a mess. Loss of control in the brass line was really bothersome. And don't get me started on that drill design.

• Like 4

If you're down that low, whoever has their amps cranked highest wins, even if you can't hear the rest of the corps

As in Quarterfinals last year, I will try to note where it appears the amps are adding to the volume to a significant degree. Not much I can do about this as Corps are always finding new things to amplify.

I was at the show in San Antonio. Please dont equate loud with good. Scouts were among the loudest corps in competition that night, but the show is a bit of a mess. Loss of control in the brass line was really bothersome. And don't get me started on that drill design.

Loud = good: Wouldn't think of it! Loud I can measure. Good is in the ear of the beholder and I wouldn't want to step into that can of worms. I'm just doing max decibels.

Thanks.

Loud > good

EOF

• Like 1

Reading through your topic from last season...

I think the meter readings might settle the sound debate once and for all.

Will be interesting to see how much lower db SCV is, and if they aren't then it's settled. The "lack" of volume is only an appearance.

If you honestly think being loud = good, this activity is even more warped than i thought. :blink:

If two corps are otherwise equally musical, I prefer the one whose big moments are louder.

I think a Scout did something mean to musclebud at some point in his life...maybe stole his girlfriend or something. Let it go man! Just let it go!

This poster likes what you call the Madison " mess " of a show, warts and all. But as they say... to each his own.

Edited by BRASSO

If you honestly think being loud = good, this activity is even more warped than i thought :blink:

All kidding aside.. I prefer good + loud. In the right spots. The soft moments make the impacts more ?? Impactful? (making up words now.)

But one of the selling points of drum corps and it's claim to fame has been the power. And if you have to get on the edge and ride it some times to keep that tradition alive then it's worth falling off ever once in a while and getting edgy. I'll take that trade off instead of having to listen to 3 hours of controlled, neutered, symphonic sound on a football field.

And I will give it up at the two shows I have been too. (Wichita & Denton, Yukon tomorrow, Mich City and Indy later) It may just because I was down low at both, but there are some Bb hornlines putting out some sound as much as I hate to admit it. I like it!

:worthy: