Loudest Drum Corps -- 2011 Atlanta Edition

That's impressive with the lower register played.

It could also be because of concert Bass Drum hits in the pit. I didn't mark anything special for that in my notes.

A little BD goes a long way! (Pun intended--in a nice way.)

I was up in the nosebleeds, and it seemed like the loudest, in no particular order, were definitely Phantom, BD (who actually gave me chills! there's a first time for everything...), and Madison. I wonder if some of the sound went above the low seats?

I'm a SCV supporter but how is it possible that SCV had a louder "rating" than BD and others? SCV has been bashed for not playing loud all year. Is it more the perception that for the majority of their show they're playing softly while others are playing loudly for the majority of their show?

I was up in the nosebleeds, and it seemed like the loudest, in no particular order, were definitely Phantom, BD (who actually gave me chills! there's a first time for everything...), and Madison. I wonder if some of the sound went above the low seats?

As was pointed out last year at Quarterfinals, many corps aim for the Press Box and some better than others. So, probably yes, some direct sound went over the lower seats.

But, also IIRC volume drops off exponentially the further away you are. Just guessing here--but if I measured where you were sitting, the overall numbers might have been lower (due to distance), but the spreads might have been closer (more horns aimed at you). I hope I'm explaining this well.

Thanks!

I'm a SCV supporter but how is it possible that SCV had a louder "rating" than BD and others? SCV has been bashed for not playing loud all year. Is it more the perception that for the majority of their show they're playing softly while others are playing loudly for the majority of their show?

Possibly because SCV is playing with a better balance and timbre than some of the other corps, which will make them sound louder, and amps up the decibels. And they have been pushing the volume up every day.

I'm just happy to see Santa Clara pumping out that kind of volume! Climb that staircase everyone!

• Like 1

With only a few data points for SCV's show, I can't say for sure. But, I think you're probably right.

Possibly because SCV is playing with a better balance and timbre than some of the other corps, which will make them sound louder, and amps up the decibels. And they have been pushing the volume up every day.

I'm just happy to see Santa Clara pumping out that kind of volume! Climb that staircase everyone!

I've also wondered about tuning. Barbershop quartets can hit a chord and it just rings--and sounds louder. But is it really? If a Corps is playing in perfect tune (got those 3rds and 5ths just where they need to be), will they sound louder? And will they actually BE louder?

I'm way beyond what I know about acoustics, so if there are any PhDs in acoustic engineering or in music out there, feel free to chime in.

I personally would love to see the differences in volumes between a corps' sound in the lower levels as compared to that at somewhere closer to the press box. And also, if you ever get a chance to take measurements from horn arcs, you would be my hero (I want to know which brass line really is the loudest lol).

I've also wondered about tuning. Barbershop quartets can hit a chord and it just rings--and sounds louder. But is it really? If a Corps is playing in perfect tune (got those 3rds and 5ths just where they need to be), will they sound louder? And will they actually BE louder?

I'm way beyond what I know about acoustics, so if there are any PhDs in acoustic engineering or in music out there, feel free to chime in.

I believe it will actually resonate both longer and louder if the tone is in tune. The sound waves will match, and magnify. The reason we hear out-of-tune or dissonant notes is that the sound waves don't match up perfectly, and you hear the intersection of the different length sound waves as the dissonance. It's sound physics really. So yes, they will actually be louder, not just sound like it. :thumbup: