An electronics explanation for all the haters

Um, you told me that the 2008 Countdown winners were chosen from "hundreds" of shows. They weren't...

... Here are the results of the poll, showing the top eighteen finishers, including the place each show originally earned.

1. 2007 Carolina Crown (6th) -- 2137 votes -- MIC'D VOICE

2. 2006 Cavaliers 2006 (1st) -- 2006 (!) votes

3. 2006 Phantom Regiment (2nd) -- 1639 votes

4. 2005 Phantom Regiment (3rd) -- 1167 votes

5. 2007 Phantom Regiment (4th) -- 1147 votes

6. 2005 Cadets (1st) -- 1143 votes -- MIC'D VOICE

7. 2007 Blue Devils (1st) -- 1100 votes -- MIC'D VOICE*

8. 2007 Bluecoats (7th) -- 1062 votes -- MIC'D VOICE

9. 2006 Blue Devils (3rd) -- 891 votes

10. 2007 Santa Clara Vanguard (5th) -- 748 votes

11. 2007 Cadets (2nd) -- 693 votes -- MIC'D VOICE

12. 2005 Madison Scouts (6th) -- 684 votes

13. 2006 Santa Clara Vanguard (6th) -- 606 votes

14. 2005 Carolina Crown (7th) -- 528 votes

15. 2006 Carolina Crown (8th) -- 513 votes

16. 2005 Cavaliers (2nd) -- 496 votes

17. 2007 Cavaliers (3rd) -- 488 votes

18. 2006 Bluecoats (4th) -- 474 votes

Again I think you're making my point for me. No one was forced to vote for a corps that amped voices. These results show clearly that thousands of votes were cast for these shows anyway. That shows clearly an acceptance of those shows. If that weren't the case, if disdain for electronics were as profound in general as it is on DCP, then voters could have cast more ballots for, say, Madison 05. But they didn't.

As for confusion about my meaning regarding the hundreds of possible contenders for the Countdown, I am sorry if my language was imprecise. I meant there to refer to the Countdowns in general. You are correct about the 2008 version. Not that my point is contradicted. Whether it's unique to the 2008 version or referring to all the Countdowns since electronics in 2004, the fact is that amped voice shows have been selected by the voters disproportionately.

HH

Can you name one new fan who vehimently stayed away from DCI until such time as electronics were introduced?

I'm just going to bump this question because I haven't seen an answer to it and I'm actually quite curious. I'll assume it was not commented on because it just got missed during the conversation.

It couldn't possibly be because nobody actually stayed away, waiting for electronics to be passed, could it? :blink:

Those were the programs offered for a vote. Programs without electronics weren't offered.

Not what I said. I said the voters have been opting for programs using amped voice disproportionately. Although I suppose the 2006 Countdown still is impossible for the anti-electronics crowd to explain in as much as two amped-voice corps make it when a universed of accoustic options were available.

HH

Again I think you're making my point for me. No one was forced to vote for a corps that amped voices. These results show clearly that thousands of votes were cast for these shows anyway. That shows clearly an acceptance of those shows. If that weren't the case, if disdain for electronics were as profound in general as it is on DCP, then voters could have cast more ballots for, say, Madison 05. But they didn't.

As for confusion about my meaning regarding the hundreds of possible contenders for the Countdown, I am sorry if my language was imprecise. I meant there to refer to the Countdowns in general. You are correct about the 2008 version. Not that my point is contradicted. Whether it's unique to the 2008 version or referring to all the Countdowns since electronics in 2004, the fact is that amped voice shows have been selected by the voters disproportionately.

HH

I would "guess" that a great many of those who actually cast votes are in the 16-28 year old range. Most of the people my age had no clue about voting until afterwards when I told them DCI was in the theaters.

Not scientic proof my any means but alot of common sense

I'm just going to bump this question because I haven't seen an answer to it and I'm actually quite curious. I'll assume it was not commented on because it just got missed during the conversation.

It couldn't possibly be because nobody actually stayed away, waiting for electronics to be passed, could it? :blink:

I didn't get into DCI until after electronics came in during '04, so I wasn't around before it. So I guess I'd be a fan that didn't come out until after mics and stuff were added.

...I think the elite should earn thier status by being better than everyone else, not by being richer and having more toys. If they are the best, then be the best by executing and designing the best shows, within the same limitations that every other group has, or should have. Forcing everyone to buy expensive sound systems and hiring experts to run them and set them up is just a way for the wealthier groups to buffer themselves from competition. At least this is what it seems like to me...

This hasn't changed at all despite electronics. The results before and since 2004 are more or less consistent. Of course, the rise of Crown and Bluecoats is mildly interesting if only for the fact that these two corps are among the few most linked to amped voice. All that bile apparently hasn't scared away their talent.

HH

Edited by glory

Not what I said. I said the voters have been opting for programs using amped voice disproportionately. Although I suppose the 2006 Countdown still is impossible for the anti-electronics crowd to explain in as much as two amped-voice corps make it when a universed of accoustic options were available.

HH

If people prefer amped voice in shows as you suggest, then why have almost, if not all groups, moved away from utilizing amped voices, esp. narration? I also notice you suggested earlier narration sepcifically but now have adopted "amped voices" as your language. Just an observation. :music:

• Like 1

I didn't get into DCI until after electronics came in during '04, so I wasn't around before it. So I guess I'd be a fan that didn't come out until after mics and stuff were added.

I understand. I joined in 70 and my first season was 71 when all the old people were griping about Madison and Cavies.

I LOVED Madisons show. I had no idea why people were selling shirts with a tombstone with a white rabbit standing on it holding a clock and the letters reading: " It's later than you think, drum corps died in 71"

It's difficult to hate what you started with.

This hasn't changed at all despite electronics. The results before and since 2004 are more or less consistent. Of course, the rise of Crown and Bluecoats is mildly interest if only for the fact that these two corps are among the few most linked to amped voice. All that bile apparently hasn't scared away their talent.

HH

So......how has electronics made DCI better? The same groups are winning all the time? That's your argument?

I have an idea. Put a salary cap on how much corps are allowed to spend on their entire production, staff salaries, all of it. Create an equal playing field, then the only variable is design and technical instruction. I think then it may become more diverse at the top.

Electronics used properly might be great in drum corps, as of yet, it hasn't happened.

I hope and pray they at least come up with better ideas on how to use them then the way they are now.

Bad is bad

• Like 1