Hattiesburg Hang-Out

Yeah. IIRC early season it didn't have all that synth, and I really liked the show upon first viewing. But yeah there's a lot of it, and unfortunately it ruins the show for me.

And it's unessesary!! Gmen have a great drumline, they've got competent brass and that synth is just cheesy! I think they might have the worst use of any finalist contender corps this season... Hope that changes in the future!

I'm not even saying I love it or defend it, but it is part of Rob Ferguson's style I believe at this point. It's very present in the stuff he designs for Matrix in PIW and when I was there (pre-synth) you could tell he wanted moments full of the synth effect. He just has a very DJ/techno style and I believe that's what you guys are not enjoying. I will say when I saw it at BG, I felt the synth was too loud and actually detracted from the hornline and made their impacts almost non-existent but on the reverse side, I very much respect Rob and he's VERY good at what he does. I know they have a very competent sound board operator on tour with them, and love it or hate it, it's the mix and sound they have in mind for the design of the show.

I'm not even saying I love it or defend it, but it is part of Rob Ferguson's style I believe at this point. It's very present in the stuff he designs for Matrix in PIW and when I was there (pre-synth) you could tell he wanted moments full of the synth effect. He just has a very DJ/techno style and I believe that's what you guys are not enjoying. I will say when I saw it at BG, I felt the synth was too loud and actually detracted from the hornline and made their impacts almost non-existent but on the reverse side, I very much respect Rob and he's VERY good at what he does. I know they have a very competent sound board operator on tour with them, and love it or hate it, it's the mix and sound they have in mind for the design of the show.

There has to come a point where these synth discussions are no longer subjective and become objective. Another words, well that's just the style of the writing should no longer be a defense. And I'm sorry, if they hurt my ears then it is objective. It is obviously TOO LOUD if it hurts my ears. If the drums constantly overplay the horns a defense of "well that's just our writing style" would never fly with the judges. The same standards have to apply to sound effects from the front ensemble. If it makes a sound and it comes from the drum corps it is fair game to comment on and judge in regards to balance, quality, sophistication, and appropriateness. If I were a judge, I would be very critical of some of the low quality and inappropriate to the music sounds coming from the synths. I'm not trying to start an argument. As I reread your post, I realize that you and I probably agree on most things. I just think the whole that's-just-Rob-Ferguson's-style should have absolutely no value when it comes to points and placement from a judges standpoint. Those incredibly loud synth sounds should not be "just a matter of personal taste."

The lights are out and the stadium security staff wants to go home not to mention all the corps left the lot almost 18 hours ago.

Maybe it's time you guys go to Waffle House ? :shutup: