Favorite Ballads: 2011 Edition

I feel like the song "Creep" is barely on the edge of being considered a ballad but the Bluecoats made it one of my favorite Drum Corps moments of this season and it starts their show!

Edited by adub

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCV, of course! Beautiful! And I love watching the brass guy "dance" and leap with the color guard.... just great stuff!

Academy, Lux Aurumque. Wow, I really love this Eric Whitacre. It is hauntingly beautiful. Also, their "drill" when they play this piece. :thumbup:

Crossmen

Phantom's East of Eden

This can go for an extended section of slower paced music anywhere in a show.

My top 3:

1) SCV's ballad, "The Eternal Knot"...glorious. A runaway winner for me this year.

2) Bluecoats intro "Creep"

3) Phantom's treatment of "East of Eden" by Lee Holdridge.

Boston

"Creep", despite the piano opening. (To which I object mainly on philosophical grounds. It doesn't sound bad, and I do appreciate that they're not using a piano there just because the original had a piano introduction: in fact, it didn't, as I found when I sought out the song on Youtube. I was unfamiliar with Radiohead, beyond the name, apart from their "appearance" on South Park.)

Haven't seen the others mentioned yet.

Creep is one of my favorite tunes, and I think the piano intro Bluecoats are using comes from a version done by Vega Choir from Sweden. I have the original and this version on my ipod. I first heard it on the early trailers for the movie "The Social Network". It sounds like the whole arrangement the Bluecoats are using is based on this version. Link:

Edited by Shamu89

I'll say;

1) Cadets- Amazing Grace just awesome... Great Arrangement.

2) Crown- just beautiful and a great fit in the show.

3) Blue Knights- best chord and release at the end of ballad. Baritone/Mello beginning just gorgeous!