I'm tired of the Blue Devils hating...

Yeah. I have my die-hard favorites every season, but booing...i would not feel comfortable doing that at this type of venue. Maybe at a football or basketball game, that would be fine. But at the end of the day, as a spectator in the stands, you are booing the members of the group. And especially during a full retreat, i would not be okay with myself booing while the corp members are standing out on the field, looking me dead in the face. But its human nature, and im not above it myself. But i do try to behave at the events and give a nice applause for everyone. :)

Edited by augustleo

I was THERE man.

I was in BD in 1985 when we (the colorguard) ran so hard during the show that we all had shin splints, our horn line tied for first place and the corps took third. It was a year of running... running to catch up to the Cadets who had fundamentally changed the activity, running to distance ourselves from a disappointing second place finish in 84 (by (.1)at the time the smallest margin allowed) and running from ourselves as the corps struggled from within to establish a "new" identity while not understanding why the methods and habits of the past did not translate into current success on the judges sheets.

I was in BD in 1986 and still remember the vets of 1976 in the crowd standing and cheering as we did THEIR show. I remember the ease of the season, the healing of friendships so damaged the year before and one night in August that was appreciated at the time but did not gain its full significance until many years later.

I was in BD in 1987 and remember other corps laughing at us because we took fourth and realized that it didn't really matter. I also remember a great sense of sadness as my friends in the Vanguard got screwed.

Drum corps is a unique microcosim of life. There is great reward and sacrifice. There are noble people and mean ones. There is unspeakable cruelty and unexpected compassion. 1985 ranks up there with one of the toughest years of my life but it was also the year I met my husband. Every year is different, every year gives every corps and every individual a fresh start.

We bleed blue here (mom, dad and kid were/are BDA members) I have never been a big fan of jazz, Ok I really don't like it (I know, why did I choose BD?) but I was blown away by last years show. It was the most amazing total package I had ever seen even though the music was not my bag. I love, Love, LOVE the music this year but I don't have the same visceral wow factor that I had last year. I am hyper critical and see every mistake so I have the mental tick thing going on for every corps I watch. In fact I usually don't watch my kid on the field cause I will bang on him for tiny mistakes; I am pretty impartial. I do think the corps is cleaner this year but this is where the subjectivity comes into play. Some judges like clean, some like complicated. This is not ice skating where each group is required to perform certain elements.

Am I a hater cause I liked last year's show better? Am I a hater cause I do not ride unquestionably on the BD or else bus? I am simply a fan that loves the activity, welcomes civil debate and hates the personal attacks-- on members, staff or DCP posters

• Like 6

I was THERE man.

I was in BD in 1985 when we (the colorguard) ran so hard during the show that we all had shin splints, our horn line tied for first place and the corps took third. It was a year of running... running to catch up to the Cadets who had fundamentally changed the activity, running to distance ourselves from a disappointing second place finish in 84 (by (.1)at the time the smallest margin allowed) and running from ourselves as the corps struggled from within to establish a "new" identity while not understanding why the methods and habits of the past did not translate into current success on the judges sheets.

I was in BD in 1986 and still remember the vets of 1976 in the crowd standing and cheering as we did THEIR show. I remember the ease of the season, the healing of friendships so damaged the year before and one night in August that was appreciated at the time but did not gain its full significance until many years later.

I was in BD in 1987 and remember other corps laughing at us because we took fourth and realized that it didn't really matter. I also remember a great sense of sadness as my friends in the Vanguard got screwed.

Drum corps is a unique microcosim of life. There is great reward and sacrifice. There are noble people and mean ones. There is unspeakable cruelty and unexpected compassion. 1985 ranks up there with one of the toughest years of my life but it was also the year I met my husband. Every year is different, every year gives every corps and every individual a fresh start.

We bleed blue here (mom, dad and kid were/are BDA members) I have never been a big fan of jazz, Ok I really don't like it (I know, why did I choose BD?) but I was blown away by last years show. It was the most amazing total package I had ever seen even though the music was not my bag. I love, Love, LOVE the music this year but I don't have the same visceral wow factor that I had last year. I am hyper critical and see every mistake so I have the mental tick thing going on for every corps I watch. In fact I usually don't watch my kid on the field cause I will bang on him for tiny mistakes; I am pretty impartial. I do think the corps is cleaner this year but this is where the subjectivity comes into play. Some judges like clean, some like complicated. This is not ice skating where each group is required to perform certain elements.

Am I a hater cause I liked last year's show better? Am I a hater cause I do not ride unquestionably on the BD or else bus? I am simply a fan that loves the activity, welcomes civil debate and hates the personal attacks-- on members, staff or DCP posters

Yeah - count me as one of the few who liked 2010 quite a bit more than 2011BD. That said, the season isnt over quite yet, so....

Well boredom has got the best of me, so i decided to go on the website that I cannot name, and watch the top 3 corps and look at how many seconds each corps stands still with at least half the corps standing still. I also added the times when a corps was doing a stationary visual. Here's what I got.

Cav's - 2 minutes and 41 seconds

BD - 2 minutes and 52 seconds

cadets - 3 minutes and 8 seconds

After watching the drill, it is obvious that the Cavaliers have the most dangerous drill of the three and the most direction changes. But I also found it really interesting that when they stood still for long periods of time, the hornline wasn't playing(at least when BD stands still, they play). Also, the most difficult drill by the hornline is being done during drum solos. Not all of the time, but the majority of the time. It's the Cavalier style, they've been doing it for a long time, it works, so why would they change it?

After watching Bd's drill, they move very fast. The bpms are extremely high at times, best and cleanest jazz running and a lot of large formations. I would consider them the opposite of the Cav's, which I think is why all the Cavalier fans dislike BD so much. I also noticed that BD is always doing something. If they're not playing and/or marching, there's a visual in there. But I find it interesting that everyone says they barely move, yet they are moving more than the Cadets are. They're downfall in their drill is they have very little high risk drill moves, which turns off some fans.

Cadet's just need to clean. They have the show, they just need to clean. Their drill and music scream GE. The idea is simple, you can get the show watching it once and it's a great concept. They have a lot of points when they are standing still and near the end of the show, there is a lot of slow marching at the big sections. Is it a bad thing, absolutely not. When they're running around the field for the first 6 minutes, they need a break. But I am, just like the original poster, sick of hearing how BD doesn't march. There are PLENTY of sections where the Cadets aren't moving and playing loud, just like BD. Cav's do it to, but in a different way.

All in all, each of these 3 corps do it their own way, which makes them all unique. Which is a good thing for drum corps. Personally, I'm a BD fan. I've liked all of their shows and 2010 is probably my favorite. Do I hate the Cadets and Cav's. Nope. I love a lot of their shows. Cadets 93 and Cav's 00 are up their on my list of favorites.

I am too tired of the BD hate and the blatant lies. But I guess it comes with the territory.

• Like 6

Yeah. I have my die-hard favorites every season, but booing...i would not feel comfortable doing that at this type of venue. Maybe at a football or basketball game, that would be fine. But at the end of the day, as a spectator in the stands, you are booing the members of the group. And especially during a full retreat, i would not be okay with myself booing while the corp members are standing out on the field, looking me dead in face. But its human nature, and im not above it myself. But i do try to behave at the events and give a nice applause for everyone. :)

Too bad there wasnt a way to boo the rules congress and not the corps....

• Like 1

Well boredom has got the best of me, so i decided to go on the website that I cannot name, and watch the top 3 corps and look at how many seconds each corps stands still with at least half the corps standing still. I also added the times when a corps was doing a stationary visual. Here's what I got.

Cav's - 2 minutes and 41 seconds

BD - 2 minutes and 52 seconds

cadets - 3 minutes and 8 seconds

After watching the drill, it is obvious that the Cavaliers have the most dangerous drill of the three and the most direction changes. But I also found it really interesting that when they stood still for long periods of time, the hornline wasn't playing(at least when BD stands still, they play). Also, the most difficult drill by the hornline is being done during drum solos. Not all of the time, but the majority of the time. It's the Cavalier style, they've been doing it for a long time, it works, so why would they change it?

After watching Bd's drill, they move very fast. The bpms are extremely high at times, best and cleanest jazz running and a lot of large formations. I would consider them the opposite of the Cav's, which I think is why all the Cavalier fans dislike BD so much. I also noticed that BD is always doing something. If they're not playing and/or marching, there's a visual in there. But I find it interesting that everyone says they barely move, yet they are moving more than the Cadets are. They're downfall in their drill is they have very little high risk drill moves, which turns off some fans.

Cadet's just need to clean. They have the show, they just need to clean. Their drill and music scream GE. The idea is simple, you can get the show watching it once and it's a great concept. They have a lot of points when they are standing still and near the end of the show, there is a lot of slow marching at the big sections. Is it a bad thing, absolutely not. When they're running around the field for the first 6 minutes, they need a break. But I am, just like the original poster, sick of hearing how BD doesn't march. There are PLENTY of sections where the Cadets aren't moving and playing loud, just like BD. Cav's do it to, but in a different way.

All in all, each of these 3 corps do it their own way, which makes them all unique. Which is a good thing for drum corps. Personally, I'm a BD fan. I've liked all of their shows and 2010 is probably my favorite. Do I hate the Cadets and Cav's. Nope. I love a lot of their shows. Cadets 93 and Cav's 00 are up their on my list of favorites.

I am too tired of the BD hate and the blatant lies. But I guess it comes with the territory.

These types of 'analysis' are done every year, and I bet someone could do it 5 minutes from now and get completely different data from you. Nothing personal - if someone did the same study and said that my corps marched the most and did the hardest stuff, i wouldn't really trust it either....

• Like 1

These types of 'analysis' are done every year, and I bet someone could do it 5 minutes from now and get completely different data from you. Nothing personal - if someone did the same study and said that my corps marched the most and did the hardest stuff, i wouldn't really trust it either....

Accept my corps didn't march the most. They're all so close together, 10 seconds doesn't really matter that much.

• Like 1

Accept my corps didn't march the most. They're all so close together, 10 seconds doesn't really matter that much.

I didn't say you biased the analysis towards your corps - and my point still stands. This was done back when cavies were 'always' winning, even though they 'never' played and marched at the same time. Several, relatively reliable and trustworthy people did the exact same experiment, and all came up with different results. Thats all i'm saying....

• Like 1