Best shows for a non-fan?

My wife is also a "non-fan", but FWIW, overall she still talks about '08 as being the "best" year, there were a number of shows she loved from that year including of course PR, but also Crown, Blue Stars and Bloo. If you want to throw some silly in there, you really can't go wrong with the Bridgemen (pick a year!).

88 VK

88 or 89 Santa Clara Vanguard

92 Crossmen

93 Phantom Regiment

95 Madison

00 Cadets

00 Boston Crusaders

03 Blue Devils

06 Cavaliers

08 Carolina Crown

10 Bluecoats

11 Carolina Crown

Edited by Super Don-O

Non-fans won't appreciate or understand the music you play, so the best thing to do is show them something more visually appealing to ease them into the activity.

As much as some of you would hate to admit, but The Cavaliers would be the best and the most obvious choice.

Start off with something they already know, which is Cavaliers 2004 James Bond.

Next would be Machine, which is the best choice i believe.

Dare i say, XtraordinarY would also be a good choice?

I'm sure a lot of people won't agree with this, but i promise you... That's the best way to catch someones interest in this activity.

I completely (and respectably) disagree. Music definitely matters. The biggest reason why Cavies 04 would work for a non fan is the recognizable Bond music. Same with all of the Phantom of the Opera shows, Scheherazades, and American folk (Copland, Bernstein) shows. People know these melodies. Cavies classics mostly use visual shock and aw whereas Vanguard and Regiment shows leave the audience with an melody to hum/whistle afterwards.

I think it would be interesting to see what everyone would say is the best show for non-fans this season. Here's how I would group em:

Entertaining for non-fans: Crown, Bluecoats (Creep), Blue Stars, Cavaliers, Madison, PR, Spirit.

Now I haven't seen any of these shows live yet, but from being an alum and watching all the shows online I would think that this group would get the most reaction form non-fans.

Phantom's Spartacus

:thumbup:

Showed this show to a singer yesterday who has never seen a Drum Corps show before. Surround Sound with a 55in screen, Amps set at 11. She was yelling and screaming with the crowd! My parents could not stop laughing. Afterwards she said she had Goose Bumps throughout the show.

-G

I'm a pretty big homer, but you absolutely take the cake.

Definitely '95 Scouts. Also '95 Cadets or Cavies. All 3 are great shows.

It's funny, but i tried this last night. Since i borrowed my friends legacy collection i had access to all shows.

Note that none of these people ever heard of drum corps, nor did they have any musicial background. Most of these videos were based off what you all reccommended.

Successful:

Phantom 2008 (kinda) and 2005

Blue Devils 2003 and 2011

Cavaliers 2004 2006

Crown 2008.. (surprisingly :rock:)

Bluecoats 2008 (ish)

Not so successful:

Madison 95

Cadets 2000

SCV 88

Star 1992

Crown 2007

Cadets 1995

-Needless to say, this took awhile. But we all had plenty of free time this weekend lol.

If someone wants to put some more suggestions up that'd be nice. So far they don't think it's too bad.. The best part was when they asked...

"So how much do you get paid to do this?"

"Umm.. You have to pay to do it."

"How much? A couple hundred dollars?"

"Uh.. Try a couple thousand.."

":blink:.....?"

Successful:

Not so successful:

Madison 95

Cadets 2000

Interesting. I think of all of these as being very activity-self-referential. Interesting that Crown 08 worked and Cadets 2000 didn't. I'm not surprised that Madison 95 didn't work, I think its best moments require that you are a fan (as the show name suggests).

It's funny, but i tried this last night. Since i borrowed my friends legacy collection i had access to all shows.

Note that none of these people ever heard of drum corps, nor did they have any musicial background. Most of these videos were based off what you all reccommended.

Successful:

Phantom 2008 (kinda) and 2005

Blue Devils 2003 and 2011

Cavaliers 2004 2006

Bluecoats 2008 (ish)

Not so successful:

Madison 95

Cadets 2000

SCV 88

Star 1992

Crown 2007

Cadets 1995

-Needless to say, this took awhile. But we all had plenty of free time this weekend lol.

If someone wants to put some more suggestions up that'd be nice. So far they don't think it's too bad.. The best part was when they asked...

"So how much do you get paid to do this?"

"Umm.. You have to pay to do it."

"How much? A couple hundred dollars?"

"Uh.. Try a couple thousand.."

":blink:.....?"

Wow....very surprising there....did you get a reason WHY SCV 88 (for example) didn't work??

It tells me something about the crowd you were showing this to, that all the "successful" shows were from the last few years.

It tells me something about the crowd you were showing this to, that all the "successful" shows were from the last few years.

Well i picked the ones i felt would be a little more successful first. But like i said earlier, these people (my roommates) knew absolutely nothing about drum corps or band.

So i dont think they would appreciate the good music some corps play (Phantom 2003 for example) So i had to go with stuff that's a little more appealing to the eye..

Like when i showed then Machine (My first video), they had no idea "bands" did these kinds of things. They were especially surprised to see the size of the crowds.

But i feel like watching a drum corps show on a television is COMPLETELY different than watching live. You don't catch the emotions of the performance as much in a video.

So i might take them to Semi Finals.

I find it funny that in a thread specifically about non-fans, a show entitled "A drum corps fans dream" gets brought up often. Not that I disagree with those posters, it's just a little funny.

Honestly I think any show from 2008 or this year would be a solid choice. Both years were/have been stellar for drum corps in my humble opinion. Phantom 91/93/94/95 are good options (if they aren't turned off by large quantities of fabric on the field). Powerful hornlines and powerful music. BD 06/Cavies 04 are good options too. If your friends are into Andrew Lloyd Weber at all, Scouts 99 was what really got me into drum corps, along with Cavies 2002.

I think it would be important to see if they're more impacted by music or the visual aspect of the activity and then go with your gut. They're your friends, they will probably like what you like regardless of what corps it is, even if it is a scary "cerebral" show.