Erie August 7th

First of all I thinkk this is a great question. I also traveled with drum corps for 8 years and wanted to find out as much about the towns/cities we performed in as I could. I always bought the local newspaper to get a feel for the town - of course this was back when most local papers were locally owned and had local reporters.

I visited Erie a few years ago while on vacation in PA so will give you a few observations.

Presque Isle State Park is a Peninsula that juts out into Lake Erie with bike trails, beaches and ton of migratory birds that stop off to visit. The old downtown area is small but kept up nice by the city. It has some nice art galleries and a variety of restaurants. The people, like I found in most of PA, were incredibly friendly and helpful.

thanks, interesting to know.

Soa went on before everyone else which is the only reason for these scores imo

Not only did they go on before everyone else, but with the rain delay, they went on about two and a half hours before Glassmen. Did that have have any effect on the score? Who knows. I'm certainly not saying for sure that it did, because I don't want to take anything away from Glassmen and what they and their supporters should be proud of from last night.

Now, bring on Indy, and GO SPIRIT!

• Like 2

It makes no sense as to why they were going on that early in the first place.

Its all based on last year for the small shows. I think the judges should know based on how late this is in the season, and it was back and forth early season and now again late season (it was all spirit in the middle). They both have good shows, I think finals will depend on which of Spirit, Academy, Troop and G-men throws down quarters and then backs it up semis.

How about that BK Madison Boston Encore?!:-) hahaha... Kinda sad these 3 didn't get to play last night as it seemed this panel was making a splash with the scores... Oh well, we'll get a taste in Massillon but will get to see all the fun this weekend! CHEERIO and GO BK!!

Blue Knights played their opener right up against the stands... nice and loud. Then they SANG and played "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You", which was very fun and the crowd loved it.

Madison played there corps song and something else. People were asking their drum majors to play ESoM and they said they couldn't because they didn't have their pit out there.

Boston played California Dreamin', which struck me as an odd choice for an east coast corps.

I'll probably be at the Massillon Show so I'll try doin' the twitter updates/photo thing again so you can see your beloved English.

• Like 1

Ok...im sorry but I am not buying the results of last night's show. Spirit has been, of late, constantly scoring higher than G-Men, Troop, and Academy. Almost locking up that 12th spot. But yet, a day after a big regional, both Academy and G-Men score almost 3 points higher than their previous show? And Troop and Spirit's score is almost the same as it was in Allentown.

A 3 point jump from one show to the next, right before finals?

Happy 50th Anniversary Glassmen. Enjoy the gift.

• Like 2

Blue Knights played their opener right up against the stands... nice and loud. Then they SANG and played "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You", which was very fun and the crowd loved it.

Madison played there corps song and something else. People were asking their drum majors to play ESoM and they said they couldn't because they didn't have their pit out there.

Boston played California Dreamin', which struck me as an odd choice for an east coast corps.

I'll probably be at the Massillon Show so I'll try doin' the twitter updates/photo thing again so you can see your beloved English.

Because that has been one of Boston songs for years. Yes back in the old days.

BAC played " California Dreamin'" ( song written about migration from east to west, and back and forth, and sense of loss, etc ), as well as "Conquest " for a few years in competition back before DCI was formed. BAC plays these 2 tradition based songs usually in full encores as well as a song from their current show.

As for what " east coast ", " west coast ", or " mid west, or " southern Corps " play, there has never been a heavy geographical consideration or restriction to what songs Corps play that I've ever been aware of ( Madison... a " midwest Corps " plays "Empire State ( NY ) of Mind " this year for just one example. ), so you sort of lost me on what you meant on " California Dreamin' " being played by an " east coast Corps " as being anything at all... " Odd ". Oh well, no big deal. I enjoy all the Corps encores, and never think about geography when I hear music played, but to each his own as to what is " odd " and what isn't.

Edited by BRASSO

Ok...im sorry but I am not buying the results of last night's show. Spirit has been, of late, constantly scoring higher than G-Men, Troop, and Academy. Almost locking up that 12th spot. But yet, a day after a big regional, both Academy and G-Men score almost 3 points higher than their previous show? And Troop and Spirit's score is almost the same as it was in Allentown.

I think this is worth responding to, just because as an alum I certainly am enjoying this "gift"...

I myself have been very skeptical, not to mention quiet, regarding the Glassmen's ability to move up in the standings. I just can't help myself. Every time no one is looking, I gorge myself on recaps and score standings, and usually to some sort of dismay this summer. I would love to see the Glassmen competing in the 6-9 range again--the last time they set foot in that territory was early 2005 (shucks I'm showing my age). However, I could tell you before any season starts that if the Glassmen are going to finish a hot season, they will spike in August (i.e. 2001) on the merits of their 1) percussion performance, 2) guard performance, and 3) Visual GE caption. I studied under both Don Hill and Scott Boerma as a student in HS; both do what they do very, very well, and to this day remain personal role models. It's a testament to the strength top-to-bottom of the finals field that such fine programs are competing at this level. I see more changes happening in Glassmen's program than Spirit's right now, and not only are the Glassmen more effective as a result, they're cleaner, which is exactly what gets one corps into finals over another at this point in the season.

If there is anything I really believe will keep the Glassmen down it is their hornline, as I stated upthread. Spirit has been deservedly, solidly (in my view) ahead of the G-Brass all season, and as much as I hate to get down on my own team, I expect that gap to widen from what it was last night at QF. The overall scores will be very, very close.

I'm not on tour, I'm not sure what the judges had in mind last night, but yeah, please do pass the kool-aid. I've been awfully thirsty this summer. Spirit of Atlanta is a wonderful corps with a wonderful history, and I'm sure Frank is just eating up the fact that the Glassmen are competing with them like his kids at Suncoast used to. It's a shame only one of these programs will be on the Finals DVD.

Their score has been going up and down a lot as of late. Back at bowling green I saw nowhere for spirits show to go besides cleaning it. Glassmen had the most room to grow and they are doing it ay the tight time. Maybe the gift has been 12tg place.

• Like 1