Most Memorable Shows (Going back as far as you want)

In another thread, GREENBLUE offered the following...

2006: wether you like MACHINE or not, it was a fan favorite, still referenced

2007: just a weird year in general, from narration, to George and the hash marks, to being in Cali, etc...not much talk about WINGED VICTORY

2008: SPARTACUS, the champion, still refered to

2009: It seems like the show of the year was Crown and THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER...the only time I really hear mention of 1930 is when someone is bashing the white chairs

2010: second place MAD WORLD seems to be the show of the year, I did enjoy GLASS DARKLY, it had grown on me, but im talkin about shows the "general fan" refer to, not us DCPers.

2011: the fans want to see a shows visual/GE scores rewarded for appealing to the masses not the judges scoring prototypes.

His point was that the most remembered/liked shows are often not the winning shows. I thought this would be a great opportunity for a topic. So, here are the rules:

1. List your favorite/most memorable show (or two) for each year, beginning in 2011 and going back as far as you want to go.

2. Don't skip years.

3. No bashing each other's lists, but feel free to echo others' choices when you agree.

Here's my list (note that I'm a Cavies Homer, but I'll try to be as unbiased as possible):

2011: Cavies (XtraordinarY), Scouts (NY Morning--had me immediately on my feet and in tears)

2010: Mad World is the most memorable, though this year wasn't a favorite of mine (by far)

2009: Crown (Grass Is Always Greener), SCV (Ballet for Martha--So beautiful), Bluecoats (Imagine--amazing costume change)

2008: Phantom (Spartacus), by far.

2007: Bluecoats (Criminal--I bought the T-Shirt and wear it proudly).

2006: Cavies (Machine), SCV (Moto Perpetuo--one of my favorite concept shows of the past decade), Glassmen (Beethoven's 9th, descending through dissonance and into silence--brilliant)

2005: Scouts (Carmen--a woman in the Scouts? Who will EVER forget that?)

2004: Cavies (007), BD (The Summertrain Blues Mix--I'm a huge Ghost Train fan)

2003: Cavies (Spin Cycle--perhaps my favorite show of all time), Cadets (Our Favorite Things--still listening to this one)

2002: Cavies (Frameworks), Cadets (An American Revival--the pledge still brings tears to my eyes)

2001: Cadets (Juxtaperformance--crazy brass runs)

2000: Cadets (We Are the Future--supremely entertaining and spotless; I vividly remember the rifles' soli down front--so clean you could hear the catches click like clockwork), Cavies (Niagara Falls--great music), Cru (Red--amazing)

1999: SCV (Inventions...--I still see/hear the shout chorus in my mind), Cadets (The Big Apple--I heart NYC), Scouts (JCS--I saw the opening on video at DCI's Atlanta tent, and IMMEDIATELY recognized it--great images)

1998: SCV (Copland, the Modernist--good music, great drill), Bluecoats (Four Seasons of Jazz--best arrangement of Summertime EVER for any type of ensemble--I share it with every composition student I meet for variety of timbres)

1997: BD (As Time Goes By--beautiful visuals, great music), Scouts (Pirates--I still remember the "battle on the rack"), Kiwanis Kavaliers (Evita--"umbrellas from thin air" ending left me speechless)

1996: Scouts (Drum Corps Fan's Dream, Part Dos--'nuff said), Crossmen (Voices of Jazz--seriously? Everyone starts with a flag? Are they crazy?), Magic (Twelve Seconds to the Moon--Rocket launching), Crown (Chess--best use of props EVER)

Since 1996 was my first exposure to DCI, I'm going to stop there. From videos, I have a few older favorites, but I'll leave those for others to discover.

2011: Between innocent.gifs and devil.gifs will always be memorable. The split uniforms and the starwars.gif. Rach Star will also be remembered, as it's probably the only show that legitimately takes rock as a music style and actually uses its for the majority of the show.

2010: Metropolis will always be memorable for me. It was Bloo's first medal and I think it's probably the first show with the kinda dark, urban, metropolitan motif. In the near future I think Bloo will be remembered for its dark and modern shows just like Phantom is known for its classical and elegant themes.

2009: The Grass is Always Greener. Ballet For Martha (was it also the highest scoring 5th place show of all time?)

2008: I AM SPARTACUS!

2007: Cadets.

2006: Machine, but Faust moreso.

And now I realize I need to start watching older shows more unsure.gif

2009: The Grass is Always Greener. Ballet For Martha (was it also the highest scoring 5th place show of all time?)

Yes this set the new high water mark for 5th place shows (95.65) by .05 over the 1989 offering from the Cadets of Bergen County (95.6)

I haven't seen many 2011 shows yet. Moving backwards, I couldn't limit myself to two choices for some years, and for some other years, I just couldn't name any shows that thrill me as much, though there are enjoyable shows in every season.

2010 -- Phantom Regiment "Into the Light"

2009 -- none (maybe Blue Devils "1930")

2008 -- Phantom Regiment "Spartacus", Blue Devils "Constantly Risking Absurdity", Cavaliers "Samurai", Carolina Crown "Finis", Santa Clara Vanguard "3hree", Blue Stars "Le Tour"

2007 -- Cavaliers "And So It Goes", Phantom Regiment "On Air"

2006 -- Cavaliers "Machine", Blue Devils "The Godfather Part Blue"

2005 -- none

2004 -- Cavaliers "007", Blue Devils "Summer Train Blues Mix", Santa Clara Vanguard "Scheherezade"

2003 -- Cavaliers "Spin Cycle", Cadets "Our Favorite Things", Phantom Regiment "Harmonic Journey"

2002 -- none

2001 -- Cadets "Juxtaperformance", Santa Clara Vanguard "New Era Metropolis"

2000 -- Cadets "We Are the Future", Santa Clara Vanguard "The Age of Reverence", Boston Crusaders "Red"

1999 -- Santa Clara Vanguard "Inventions for a New Millennium", Blue Devils "Rhythms at the Edge of Time", Cavaliers "Classical Innovations", Cadets "Big Apple", Madison Scouts "Jesus Christ Superstar"

1998 -- Santa Clara Vanguard "Aaron Copland the Modernist", "Blue Devils "One Hand One Heart", Cavaliers "Traditions for a New Era", Madison Scouts "Power Pizzaz and All That Jazz"

1997 -- Cadets "Celebration", Phantom Regiment "The Ring", Madison Scouts "Pirates of Lake Mendota", Crossmen "Colors of Jazz"

1996 -- Phantom Regiment "Defiant Heart"

1995 -- Cavaliers "The Planets", Blue Devils "Carpe Noctem"

1994 -- Blue Devils "My Spanish Heart", Cadets "West Side Story", Phantom Regiment "Songs for a Summer Night"

1993 -- Star of Indiana "Music of Barber and Bartok", Phantom Regiment "Modern Imagination"

1992 -- Blue Devils "Big Bad and Blue", Santa Clara Vanguard "Fiddler on the Roof"

1991 -- Star of Indiana "Roman Images", Phantom Regiment "Phantom Voices", Blue Devils "Conversations in Jazz"

1990 -- Phantom Regiment "Dreams of Desire", Santa Clara Vanguard "Carmen", Crossmen, Bluecoats

1989 -- Santa Clara Vanguard "Phantom of the Opera", Phantom Regiment "From a New World to a New Era", Cavaliers "Gloria", Blue Devils, Cadets "Les Miserables", Star of Indiana, Madison Scouts, Bluecoats

1988 -- Madison Scouts, Santa Clara Vanguard "Phantom of the Opera", Blue Devils, Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment "Romeo and Juliet", maybe Bluecoats

I don't know shows before 1988 as well as the later work. It doesn't help that the filming then is often badly done, with the big picture ignored in favor of interminable shots from stupid locations, like inside a drum kit.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

5 posts in and no mention of 1984 Garfield? What's happened to the DCP I used to know?

I've seen every Top 12 show from 1987 to the present, so that's how far back I'll go.

2011: TBD (probably either The Cadets, "Angels and Demons" or Phantom Regiment, "Juliet")

2010: Blue Stars, "Houdini"

2009: Carolina Crown, "The Grass is Always Greener"

2008: Phantom Regiment, "Spartacus"

2007: Phantom Regiment, "On Air"

2006: The Cavaliers, "Machine"

2005: Bluecoats, "Caravan"

2004: Santa Clara Vanguard, "Attraction: The Music of Scheherazade"

2003: Phantom Regiment, "Harmonic Journeys"

2002: Cavaliers, "Frameworks"

2001: The Cadets, "Juxtaperformance"

2000: Boston Crusaders, "RED"

1999: Santa Clara Vanguard, "Inventions for a New Millennium"

1998: Santa Clara Vanguard, "Aaron Copland: The Modernist"

1997: Santa Clara Vanguard, "Fog City Sketches"

1996: Phantom Regiment, "A Defiant Heart"

1995: Blue Devils, "Carpe Noctem" / Carolina Crown, "Stormworks"

1994: Blue Devils, "My Spanish Heart"

1993: Phantom Regiment, "The Modern Imagination"

1992: Madison Scouts, "City of Angels"

1991: Star of Indiana, "Roman Images"

1990: Star of Indiana, "Belshazzar's Feast"

1989: Phantom Regiment, "From the New World"

1988: Santa Clara Vanguard, "Phantom of the Opera"

1987: Santa Clara Vanguard, "The Magician"

Troopers 1979 prelims, Birmingham Alabama. The stuff legends are made of.

2011-Cadets

2010-Mad World

2009-Crown, Grass is always greener

2008-Blue Stars Le Tour

2007-PR On Air

2006-BD The Godfather

2005-Madison Carmen

2004-Cavaliers 007

2003-PR Harmonic Journeys, close 2nd Cadets My Favorite Things

2002-Crossmen

2001-Cadets Juxtaperformance

2000-Cavaliers Niagara Falls

1999-Bd Rhythms the edge of time

1998-Madison Power Pizzaz and all that Jazz

1997-Crossmen Color of Jazz

1996-Cadets The American West?, BD

1995-Cavaliers The Planets, Madison

1994-Madison

1993-BD Don Ellis

1992-BD Big Bad and Blue, close 2nd VK Magical Mystery Tour

1991-Cavaliers Cavalier Anthems, close 2nd BD Adventures in time

1990-SCV Carmen

1989-SCV Phantom of the Opera, VK Yo Mambo

1988-Madison, VK

1987-SCV

1986-Cavaliers Canzona

1985-SCV

1984-BD

1983-SCV, 27th

1982-Garfield Gershwin, Freelancers

1981-PR Spartacus the first year, close 2nd Cavaliers, 3rd honorable mention nowhere near top 12, Geneseo Knights

1980-Spirit, Madison, Bayonne

1979-SCV Verdi's requiem, Madison Granada Smoothie

1978-Madison

1977-Spirit, 27th

1976 Madison, BD

1975-Madison

Sadly that is all I have seen :(