How do we save Drum Corps

ok, then let me ask you a question. if the past is the past, then why is it year after year, many of the biggest touring acts money wise every year are older groups? Why is the Stones, who are what...70 now?...still pack them in everywhere, and hot new acts are playing far smaller venues and not selling out?

What the Stones and Beatles and The Who were doing in the 60s was much more exciting and culturally innovative than anything drum corps was doing in the same time period. Their work changed the popular culture and people remember and appreciate that still want a chance to experience it. The work feels contemporary because it's now ingrained in the culture. Plus they're all a lot of fun to listen to. 1960s/early 70s drum corps, not so much.

I started marching in 1973, and to me, even the drum corps from a year or two before I started feels dated and hokey. My kids can appreciate the snare lines from that era when they watch the vids, but the visual programs, horn sound, and rigid guard mechanics (with the exception of 27th's rifle line, who they both think was cool) strike them as pretty bad when compared to what they see when they watch shows now.

By comparison, if they look at any show from the last 15 years or so, the shows still feel contemporary to them. My 17 year old daughter's fave show is the Cavalliers' '95 Planets show. Second was Crown's show from 2009. So maybe people need to stop looking at new stuff as being radical and appreciate that the artform at the top of the activity has reached a level of maturity, what some of us old timers think is "new" is actually just the norm, and has been for nearly a generation.

Retro is what alumni corps are for. If you want more kids involved in something related to drum corps that isn't the current version of WC corps, you'll need to look for something new, not something old.

Edited by mobrien

I am very familiar with the project. It is interesting... but there are some issues with the way it was conducted and the way questions were formed (leading). It was essentially student project.

Anyway, at least they are exploring some of this.

128? I think a 10 member limit might be sufficient for going with a retro corps. Though, you might have difficulty recruiting even that.

I find that insulting considering my past, but I'll just let it pass since you have no idea who I am or what I've done.

• Like 3

There are always issues with a survey when it doesn't yield the hoped-for results. From quick phone surveys through plebecites to national elections.

Every poll that has indicated that people are not satisfied with the direction of DCI has been dismissed as poorly conducted, too small a sample, insignificant as it was conducted on DCP - ad infinitum. It's a very stale argument....

• Like 1

But there have been more than 'drums' for decades, horns have not been 'bugles' for many decades and color guards do not guard the colors anymore, again, for decades.

Correct. But the basic ideas are brass, percussion, and motion (I file guard under "motion"). If you look at the oldest drum corps videos available, you will find those three things. If you look at the most successful corps throughout DCI history, you will find those things. If you look at corps in the past few years, you will find those things, but you will have to look harder. For the first time in Drum Corps history, things other than brass, percussion, and motion are on the field. And in some ways, they are coming to the forefront, obscuring what has traditionally been the hallmark of drum corps.

This is my problem. There have been changes before, but they haven't fundamentally changed the basic ingredients. The latest changes have added all new categories that no longer fit into the mold of "brass, percussion, and motion". These changes have altered the definition of drum corps in huge ways. And that, to me, is a shame and a problem that must be rectified either by changing the name of the activity or the content of the product.

If you haven't looked at the survey link that Mike provided on this page, you owe it to yourself to do so. Don't take up a cause that even the DCI participants aren't willing to embrace. They get it, just like we the fans get it. Only the directors seem to be missing the boat.

Survey of current DCI marching members.

http://www.dci.org/n...ac-6fd5ddb9ac3f

http://www.dci.org/n...na_factoids.pdf

• Like 1

I find that insulting considering my past, but I'll just let it pass since you have no idea who I am or what I've done.

You have experience recruiting kids to participate in a drum corps that is a recreation of that of their parent's generation?

If not, can't see how that is so insulting.

What the Stones and Beatles and The Who were doing in the 60s was much more exciting and culturally innovative than anything drum corps was doing in the same time period. Their work changed the popular culture and people remember and appreciate that still want a chance to experience it. The work feels contemporary because it's now ingrained in the culture. Plus they're all a lot of fun to listen to. 1960s/early 70s drum corps, not so much.

I started marching in 1973, and to me, even the drum corps from a year or two before I started feels dated and hokey. My kids can appreciate the snare lines from that era when they watch the vids, but the visual programs, horn sound, and rigid guard mechanics (with the exception of 27th's rifle line, who they both think was cool) strike them as pretty bad when compared to what they see when they watch shows now.

By comparison, if they look at any show from the last 15 years or so, the shows still feel contemporary to them. My 17 year old daughter's fave show is the Cavalliers' '95 Planets show. Second was Crown's show from 2009. So maybe people need to stop looking at new stuff as being radical and appreciate that the artform at the top of the activity has reached a level of maturity, what some of us old timers think is "new" is actually just the norm, and has been for nearly a generation.

Retro is what alumni corps are for. If you want more kids involved in something related to drum corps that isn't the current version of WC corps, you'll need to look for something new, not something old.

I don't think anyone is advocating a return to 60s/70s style. Perhaps to 60s/70s type of organization, or looking to learn what we can from the models that worked then, but I think we can all agree that the style of performance from that era will not fly in today's world. However, even after three or four years, the new elements that have been added are still a thorn in the side of a lot of folks. This activity has been changed so that in many ways it only barely resembles drum corps of just five to ten years ago. That's a lot of change in a short period of time, and in many eyes, it isn't change in a good direction.

• Like 1