How do we save Drum Corps

Why is it out of reach? It is only out of reach for those that don't do what it takes to make the money.

If you wait until you have enough money to jump into the tour, you'll never get a corps off the ground.

Same principle as waiting until you have enough money to start a family. If we went by that I wouldn't be Grandpa today....

DCI isn't the Holy Grail. It isn't even the Holy Handgrenade. There are other ways to do this activity and the sooner DCI stops taking itself so seriously and believing it's the only way, the better off Drum Corps will be.

It's little quips like this that make it very easy not to take any of your posts seriously.

It is 100% realistic.

You cannot find enough kids to fill even one retro corps, let alone a circuit. To think any real number of kids would be interested at all in this, other than maybe a one-off novelty, would be fantasy. I'm often a bit direct in what I say, but it is not unfounded.

Every generation of kids want to be a part of what is innovative ... what pushes the limits of now... to explore the new and leave their mark, not recreate something from the past.

Edited by danielray
  • Like 5

No - I think this is just your attempt to denegrate anything that is not upper echelon DCI. It has been a consistent pattern of your posts.

SDCA, FAMQ are not cutting edge by any stretch of the imagination but guess what? Kids are joining. They're having fun. They are learning. The circuits are slowly growing.

No it's not Blue Devils or Cadets but really - who cares? The kids don't seem to so maybe you might want to relax a little on the judgements of what is and is not worthwhile.

• Like 2

It is 100% realistic.

You cannot find enough kids to fill even one retro corps, let alone a circuit. To think any real number of kids would be interested at all in this, other than maybe a one-off novelty, would be fantasy. I'm often a bit direct in what I say, but it is not unfounded.

Every generation of kids want to be a part of what is innovative ... what pushes the limits of now... to explore the new and leave their mark, not recreate something from the past.

Survey of current DCI marching members.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=ba483a6c-c8d5-4a39-91ac-6fd5ddb9ac3f

http://www.dci.org/news/pdf/2010/2010_persona_factoids.pdf

The traditions of drum corps are important -

1% Strongly Disagree

4% Disagree

14% Neutral

34% Agree

47% Strongly Agree

I enjoy listening to and watching audio/video of historical drum corps performances -

1% Strongly Disagree

5% Disagree

14% Neutral

29% Agree

50% Strongly Agree

Drum corps should be more reflective of marching band

50% Strongly Disagree

30% Disagree

17% Neutral

2% Agree

1% Strongly Agree

The experience of being in a drum corps is more important than the educational aspects

2% Strongly Disagree

9% Disagree

33% Neutral

32% Agree

24% Strongly Agree

Mike

• Like 3

The only way you're going to get someone to put major money ($150k in start up costs if you do it on the super cheap) into starting a new youth performing arts group would be to have the vision for said organization be unique, something unlike anything else afforded to the young performers in their community. Necessarily, that would mean that the format for the activity would have to be unique too, and I'm afraid that "drum corps like it was 40 years ago" isn't a great marketing position. It's not likely to attract new donors and more importantly, it won't hold much appeal for the real end users of the idea; the performers themselves.

While I agree with you about many arts organizations that belong to this generation are very artist-centered, where you have artists driving the creative and are also personalities that are actively and personally fundraising... these tend to be either project driven or on a smaller scale. Dance companies are a good example for this type of model.

What I am thinking about it a bit different...

It should not be unique... it should pitching them to have something in their community that is pretty much exactly like the best thing out there.

I actually think it is EASIER to pitch to supporters to raise money for a new corps than it is to pitch a startup. I would approach it in a way that would be similar to pitching to bring a major sports team to the community and the opportunity to represent the city on a national level. People with deep pockets are ego driven and want to fund programs that have the potential to be at the top of the game. Approach them with an opportunity that has set sights too low, might be of less interests, even though there is less money involved.

Anyway, there is certainly a lot more to it... but it takes just as much effort to prepare a pitch to try to get $150k as it does to get $1.5M... so why not do that? It might take a lot more "No's" to lock in the higher amount... but it is simply a numbers game... ask enough of the right people and you will eventually get it. Again, if you haven't heard 99 "No's" you haven't tried.

This point, right there, is the biggest reason why it should be entrepreneurs that should be starting corps, not artists.