How do we save Drum Corps

Sorry, I meant all World Class corps. I have no problem keeping the classes separate - that's what the class structure is for. But I do think that if potential marchers aren't marching because there aren't enough spots in Finals, then the obvious solution is to increase the spots in Finals.

Mike

• Like 1

Do you mean adding Open class corps to the World Quarters? If so then I like this idea.

I might be mistaken, but I think that's already in effect for this year. Open and International Class corps are invited to compete at WC Quarters. BDB and SCV's cadet corps could very well end up beating some WC corps as a result, which is as it should be.

In terms of expanding WC Finals to include everyone, that pretty much devalues the Finalist status. I'm glad to see such a tight cluster in the 10th-15th rankings right now, as it's good for all of those corps to have something to battle for, but if you lower the bar, you run the risk of taking the fun away from the kids in that position, since Finals becomes just another big regional.

Edited by mobrien

Sorry, I meant all World Class corps. I have no problem keeping the classes separate - that's what the class structure is for. But I do think that if potential marchers aren't marching because there aren't enough spots in Finals, then the obvious solution is to increase the spots in Finals.

Mike

Sorry - misunderstood. I always wanted to see some of the top Open corps have a chance in Quarters, but some of the lower ranked World corps may not enjoy being jumped by those guys.

I might be mistaken, but I think that's already in effect for this year. Open and International Class corps are invited to compete at WC Quarters. BDB and SCV's cadet corps could very well end up beating some WC corps as a result, which is as it should be.

In terms of expanding WC Finals to include everyone, that pretty much devalues the Finalist status. I'm glad to see such a tight cluster in the 10th-15th rankings right now, as it's good for all of those corps to have something to battle for, but if you lower the bar, you run the risk of taking the fun away from the kids in that position, since Finals becomes just another big regional.

Honestly, I'd make the trade in a heartbeat if it meant more kids tried out for 13th-23rd place corps knowing they'd be in Finals. And who wouldn't want to see a 23-corps retreat - there's a spectacle for you.

Mike

• Like 1

Retro is what alumni corps are for. If you want more kids involved in something related to drum corps that isn't the current version of WC corps, you'll need to look for something new, not something old.

Maybe we should define what we mean by "kids" in this context. If you mean the 20 year old music major in college who marched Cadets last year, then clearly you are correct.

If we're talking about kids new to the activity, as I am, then trying to put a Cadet style show on the field would be a disaster. The '80s style of drill would be much more attainable, no?

I'd love to see a real survey done of every kid who shows up to audition for a Finalist corps and gets cut, because that's where you'll find the information about what would need to happen to fill another 15 or 20 corps nationwide. These kids are investing time to audition, then not marching when cut, and it's not like they disappear off the planet once that happens; they just decide to sit on the sidelines rather than participate. What, exactly, are they looking for, and what can the activity do to provide them with what they want and keep them involved as participants.

I think you've hit on a topic that would require the changing of some DCI rules and regulations (something I was preaching about in another forum topic). Let's explore this a bit. What kinds of changes might make the lower ranking corps more attractive to students?

Also, here's the question I want to ask the touring members: "Would you be disappointed if DCI once again made synthesized and pre-recorded sounds illegal?" My premise is that aside from those who can only play synths in DCI (meaning that they aren't good enough to play other instruments at a World Class level), are students really signing up for DCI solely because they allow synth and pre-recorded sounds? If so, this activity is in more trouble than I thought. I just can't bring myself to believe that kids don't care about excellent brass, percussion, and movement if there aren't synthesizers involved.

• Like 1

I love Amadeus, but you have the situation backwards. DCI has made it advantageous to put ballet into the opera whether or not you have ballet dancers in your company. And worse yet, there is no accounting for the ballet's effectiveness, how well it fits into the "story", and how well it connects with the audience. They aren't limiting what can be included, they aren't even judging whether it's good or not.

Sorry man, it was just a joke, not a statement of my position. :thumbup: I agree with what you're saying.

Sorry - misunderstood. I always wanted to see some of the top Open corps have a chance in Quarters, but some of the lower ranked World corps may not enjoy being jumped by those guys.

Hey now, the open class corps *are* going to be welcome in Quarters Prelims this year! Semis will be 25 corps and finals will still be 12.

But I do think expanding finals beyond top 12 is a great idea.

• Like 1

I think you've hit on a topic that would require the changing of some DCI rules and regulations (something I was preaching about in another forum topic). Let's explore this a bit. What kinds of changes might make the lower ranking corps more attractive to students?

Also, here's the question I want to ask the touring members: "Would you be disappointed if DCI once again made synthesized and pre-recorded sounds illegal?" My premise is that aside from those who can only play synths in DCI (meaning that they aren't good enough to play other instruments at a World Class level), are students really signing up for DCI solely because they allow synth and pre-recorded sounds? If so, this activity is in more trouble than I thought. I just can't bring myself to believe that kids don't care about excellent brass, percussion, and movement if there aren't synthesizers involved.

The whole topic has nothing to do with amps and synths. It has to do with the smaller and smaller demand by a paying public for drum corps. Fewer and fewer shows because there are fewer paying fans. AND there are other ways to get a drum corps fix without buying a ticket and sitting in a football stadium in the summer.

See, you can start 15-20 new corps, BUT where will they be located? Where is this demand so high? Where's the money? Where's the business model that makes this work? Where's the $500K startup costs?

Come on folks. Show us a business model that will work for starting 15-20 new drum corps.

Waiting.

Ah, yes, how to save drum corps. SOSDD, faithful readers.

Back in 2000 when the ominous signs of trouble ahead began to raise concerns, I posted the following pearls of my wisdom/experience on the old Usenet discussion group. I actually expected (naive, wasn't I?) to inspire some discussion amongst the activity's deep thinkers. I thought I'd made some good points.

Basically though, there was just grumbling from DCI True Believers who (not getting it as usual) took what I said about struggling little units as "an insult on the chilllldrenn."

Now that the topic's come up A-gain, here it is again, though the freethinking crusader-types -- there still were some around in 2000 who might have carried the torch -- have long since given up the ghost and are gone for good. Anyways:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From 2000: The Strategy to Save Drum Corps

Some of you would remember me from the late '50s into the early '70s. Though I was never a major figure in drum corps, my main corps did place in the Top Ten twice. I started two corps which became regionally prominent until rising costs brought a swift end (and a merciful end, we know now, had we blindly and naively continued into the DCI maelstrom that was just beginning then).

I saw the great contests and the thousands of cheering fans and the wonderful synergy that drum corps used to be.

I witnessed many corps start from scratch, and become great. (How comparatively easy it was to do then.) The Chicago (then Cicero) Royal Airs, the LaCrosse Blue Stars, the Dubuque Colt .45, the Rockford Phantom Regiment rebirth and so many more. But all the corps were good, even the little hometown corps that were starting everywhere. They were all entertaining, and all the corps supported all the other corps. It's just something we did. It was a big Club that we all were proud as hell to say we belonged to.

If we had a fatal flaw, it's that we were mostly naive. Gullible. When some of the more prestigious corps people proposed a national association in 1970, to be made up of "all drum corps people and free of those out-of-it veterans' groups that try to dictate corps policies" (and that's how it was sold to us), it did sound promising. The bright shining promise of equality.

Except, as we found out far too late, that some corps bigwigs had decided how to make some corps a little more equal. (A great read: George Orwell's "Animal Farm".)

Here's my proposal. And if it doesn't happen, drum corps won't really die. It'll just continue as it is, with a few top

corps in what's left of the limelight, and a scattering of pathetic, stumbling little "zombie" corps that are nearer death than life.

1. Do nothing about DCI. Let them continue as is, with their system intact and unthreatened. (In other words, give them the chance to live that they never gave us.)

2. Start a new association immediately, based on the proven American Legion/All-American system that saw the flourishing of the drum corps Golden Age until 1970. Use a name and operating policy that's non-threatening to DCI; we don't need an overt, ongoing battle with them (although there's no law against secretly gloating when our contests and our corps outdraw and outnumber theirs).

3. Reinstate the objective tick-system of judging. This greatly controls corruption and politics within the current "opinion-based" judging.

4. Allow all G bugles, from open to three-valve, to allow for inexperienced recruits to more quickly learn and for more

experienced players to continue being challenged.

If you agree, here's what to do:

Start talking it up via this forum, via telephone and e-mails, and through continued personal contact. Form a loose-knit steering committee to plan a fall meeting in, say, Indianapolis, the traditional spot for drum corps rulemaking. Then attend, and volunteer! And bring drum corps back to its rightful prominence as the magnificent youth activity that it once was.