Scouts License problem

Do we know if the Scouts are going to get the go ahead for Empire State of Mind?

If not, will the DVD just be silent during that portion of the show?

I don't know how I feel about paying for the FN and the DVD to get "the silent treatment" on what is one of the best closers of all time!

• Like 2

Too funny. I just signed in to make this exact thread!

YES. The DVD is the big question. Week after week passes with no change. I don't see any reason to believe it will get sorted just in time for the DVD authoring. This is heart breaking! Madison has my favorite show this year and ESoM is my favorite moment of that show. What the heck happens if the legal stuff goes through AFTER the DVDs are shipped? Will they send us another copy?

Too funny. I just signed in to make this exact thread!

YES. The DVD is the big question. Week after week passes with no change. I don't see any reason to believe it will get sorted just in time for the DVD authoring. This is heart breaking! Madison has my favorite show this year and ESoM is my favorite moment of that show. What the heck happens if the legal stuff goes through AFTER the DVDs are shipped? Will they send us another copy?

All we can do is hope it gets straightened out in time. I think it's the single best moment in all of DCI this year. I already have the full show downloaded from that unmentionable video site but I desperately want to be able to watch the finals performance of that tune over and over on my blu-rays.

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

... I desperately want to be able to watch the finals performance of that tune over and over on my blu-rays.

I hear ya bro. I actually planned to upgrade my subscription to +blu when I get my paycheck this Friday. This is giving me pause though. As long as they can assure us that we will get a disk with ESoM on it whenever the legal stuff gets taken care of, I will gladly fork over the bucks. I will try and contact DCI and see what they say....

ibc

the Scouts ESOM is not one of the best closers of all time... it is probably not even a top 5 Madison closer. And it sounds really "white"... they need to fix that, desperately.

You are entitled to that opinion...I may even agree. But you are off topic.

• Like 1

Here's my opinion for what it's worth...

This is a ridiculous state to be in.

1. DCI should have a rule that enforces all relevant permissions should be granted before the season starts. If you don't have permission then you can't play it.

2. If DCI are happy to allow several minutes of silence on what is their premium end of season product then they should not be charging as much as they do.

3. Did I say this is a ridiculous state to be in...?

Of all the legal hoops to jump through, synch rights are the last and most difficult. How many years ahead would you have corps be forced to plan? Or perhaps we should go back to the endless parade of non-melodies we've heard for years....or limit everyone to Public Domain material.

• Like 1

Here's my opinion for what it's worth...

This is a ridiculous state to be in.

1. DCI should have a rule that enforces all relevant permissions should be granted before the season starts. If you don't have permission then you can't play it.

2. If DCI are happy to allow several minutes of silence on what is their premium end of season product then they should not be charging as much as they do.

3. Did I say this is a ridiculous state to be in...?

In WGI if a unit does not get syncing rights WGI charges the unit an "editing fee" of several hundred dollars; on the DVD's of Finals if a group has a portion of the show that did not clear rights, there is no sound.

This situation is unfortunate, and I'm not 100% sure it's fair to blame Scouts for this debacle: this is a fairly new thing in the industry (syncing rights) and I would bet that publishers & rights holders are still not sure of how they want to handle this property right.

I wouldn't expect DCI to charge less money for their DVDs or CD's; I do think it would be prudent/fair for DCI to charge Madison Scouts a fee for the hassle of editing the sound out.

A more interesting discussion, I think, is if a corps isn't 100% they can obtain the sync rights to a piece, should they scrap the idea or go full steam ahead? If the music is effective and works perfectly for a show, is there an obligation for a corps to think about the DVD's at the expense of competitive success: or should corps think 100% about the DVD's at the possible expense of show effectiveness?

• Like 1

I do think it would be prudent/fair for DCI to charge Madison Scouts a fee for the hassle of editing the sound out.

What would you call a fair price for sliding a fader to the bottom of it's range and then taking a three minute break?

• Like 2